Su-47 Berkut with 3D printed parts - Hobbyboss/MHM 1:72

Here is another work in progress which will be most probably never completed and take its place in Hall of Shame on my workbench... This is an MHM/Hobbyboss Su-47 Berkut kit in 1/72 scale.  My intention is to build this kit from OOB and place it in the display asap. In overall it seems not so bad but I am quite sure that I will have to deal with a lot of troubles during this build.

2100.jpg

Here are the kit sprues:

2101.jpg

2102.jpg

At first glance this build shouldn't be so difficult and can be finished very quickly but we will see...

Serkan

• Like 2

The fuselage halves were removed from sprue:

2103.jpg

And after placing cockpit tub the all parts were glued together:

2105.jpg

But the intake has no detail and has to be closed with intake covers:

2107.jpg

Also the nozzles are for AL-31 rather than real Soloviev D-30 installed on Berkut:

2106.jpg

Let's see if I can manage to modify kit nozzle to D-30 form:

2108.jpg

But what I can say that this build won't be an OOB anymore...

Serkan

• Like 6

• Serkan Sen changed the title to Su-47 Berkut with 3D printed parts - Hobbyboss/MHM 1:72
20 hours ago, billn53 said:

Are any of your builds ever OOB?

Actually no 🙂

I have slightly modified this thread's title because it seems that I have to add some 3D printed parts. First of all I have started with intake FOD covers:

2112.jpg

I have first extracted the FOD contours from the real aircraft and then created 3D model using these outlines. What I noticed that the kit intake shape does not match with the real aircraft. The real intake width is wider than the height. But its opposite in the kit: 

2107.jpg

But it is a lot of effort to fix the intake geometry issue. Therefore I will keep the shape as is...

Next step is the nozzles which is really challenging.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 7

On 6/26/2021 at 5:11 PM, Neffan said:

Hi Serkan, really interesting. I think the next step will not be difficult for you... 😉  

Neffan

Although the nozzle looks very simple it has a lot of details when you look closer. I have almost finished modelling.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 1

The CAD models were imported to 3D printer software and then sent to printer:

2113.jpg

Here are the printed parts:

2114.jpg

As the kit inlet planform is a bit different than the actual inlet, I have printed the FOD covers in three sizes.

Next is to perform fit test.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Nice build, I’m nearly finished the Trumpeter 1/144 th kit and it is completely oob

OOB build was also my intention to be able to build at least one model in a week but I couldn't ignore such an obvious problem with nozzles.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

but I couldn't ignore such an obvious problem with nozzles.

That’s the one thing I like about 1:144 I don’t notice the inaccuracies :) 

resized_89e9de88-20fb-4d92-8a48-8b8ebdf8This is where my Berkut currently is. I might see if I can copy your FOD doors as they’ll add a nice bit of colour to the build but it’ll be old style plastic carving :) still being 1/144 I’ll get away with less detail than yours.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

Hi Serkan, once again you amaze me with your technique and details. As you pointed out the intakes are wrong but thought, could you not 3D print a set to see how much a difference it would make. Also I wonder if the parts would fit the Italeri/Revell kit?

Regards

Robert

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Robert said:

Hi Serkan, once again you amaze me with your technique and details. As you pointed out the intakes are wrong but thought, could you not 3D print a set to see how much a difference it would make. Also I wonder if the parts would fit the Italeri/Revell kit?

Regards

Robert

Thanks Robert,

If have had noticed at the beginning that the intakes have wrong shape, I would have corrected them at very beginning. But unfortunately it is too late to do such modification because I have started to paint the aircraft. My original intention was to build this plane in few days and get motivated for all ongoing/pending modification projects.

I will check if I have still have Italeri/Revell in my stash. If I am not wrong it is a reboxed Zvezda kit.

Serkan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Web99 said:

I remember seeing this thread say originally OOB, how things change I’ll be watching with interest 😏

That's true. This was my original aim. But building this model with such obvious error would not be acceptable. 😁

• Like 1

The painting job for this aircraft is very simple. First paint the panels and doors in white, mask them and finally paint entire aircraft to black. But here is the problem: how to mask all these white panels?

Here is the answer: design an artwork to make vinyl masks:

2119.jpg

Next is to apply vinyl masks and paint cockpit and canopy area...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2

The vinyl masks were placed:

2120.jpg

2126.jpg

Note that the clear parts were masked on both sides. The cockpit and inside of the canopy parts were painted light blue/gray:

2127.jpg

Next step is to paint entire aircraft black...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gidge said:

That looks more like Zhukovsky to me, in much the same state that it has been in for years. I can't imagine the Russians would let the Berkut go to Ukraine.

Martin