Sanger 1/48Coastal Command Beaufort Mk1A

For my entry I have a 1/48 Sanger Bristol Beaufort. Yes I'm foolish enough to do not only another vac but a Sanger vac to boot. Although I must say this is a whole lot better than the an Oxford I've been struggling through of late on the anything but injection GB.

51268120473_2ed91a1700_c.jpg

51268965880_c7f3fcc8b8_c.jpg

Decently moulded white vac plastic

51267936696_fc88c1290c_c.jpg

All kinds of neato white metal(that I won't use for the most part) I'll print out or scratch build extra parts I need.

I doubt I'll do a full interior, but the cockpit and forward nose do scream out for some added extra bits.

I hope I don't damage the clear plastic like I did on the Oxford. I think I'll prep new vac masters just in case.

I am waiting on my decals but they will be in long before I finish this up. I'm going to do  Mk1A from No.2 Torpedo Training Squadron Unit based at Castle Kennedy Scotland in late 1943.

So I hope you'll follow along on my little quest. If you have and comments, suggestions, or questions, shout 'em out.

Now to begin.....

• Like 9

Thats a given Rob😜 I just hope I don't crash and burn with it, unlike  the Oxford that's giving me screaming fits here right before completion and the end of the GB. Some days its enough to make a grown man weep:wall::drink:. The Beaufort may have a slow start,, but we'll see how it evolves and what it evolve into.....cue creepy organ music.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

If you have and comments, suggestions, or questions, shout 'em out.

Pick up a cheap Tamiya Beaufighter and raid it for bits,  IIRC you could basically use the entire wing/engines/UC and some other parts.  May make it less of a slog.

Shame Sanger have never really upped their game,  and still knock out rather poor kits, though this may well be an old Contrail mould in origin.

Still, look on the bright side, when you finish, Airfix will announce that due to the success of their 72nd kit they are going to do it in 48th :rofl2:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Pick up a cheap Tamiya Beaufighter and raid it for bits,  IIRC you could basically use the entire wing/engines/UC and some other parts.  May make it less of a slog.

Shame Sanger have never really upped their game,  and still knock out rather poor kits, though this may well be an old Contrail mould in origin.

Still, look on the bright side, when you finish, Airfix will announce that due to the success of their 72nd kit they are going to do it in 48th :rofl2:

The Oxbox is definitely an old Contrail kit. and boy it was old too. The Beaufort, is actually a LOT better IT at least has the ribbing detail on the rudder and whatnot :yahoo:I'll have a better handle on it when I separate the parts from the plastic. A good portion of the white metal I'll probably print out because its easier.

• Like 2

I`ve built one of these and was let down by the clear parts,...... the canopy and nose glazing just did not look like the real thing. I also scrapped an old Tamiya Beaufighter and used the tail, wheels, outer wings and undercarriage along with the engines with the cowlings sanded down to replicate the Beauforts.

Good luck,.... you`ll need it!

Here is my attempt,..... but I`m looking forward to the forthcoming ICM kit for sure;

Beaufort-3.jpg

Cheers

Tony  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

I've managed to make a little progress, though not much. Life has a way of mucking up the works at the least opportune time. Having to replace part of roof on house and discovering previous work done not only incorrect but water damage and age far more extensive and naturally expensive as well. Oh Joy, Oh Rapture.:wall: So  I have managed to get both sheets panel lines re-scribed. @tomprobert used a method on his B-52H build of scribing the panel lines before separating the parts from the plastic. I will have to say the is one of the DOH! moments. why I didn't do this before, but definitely will do from now on because it makes life so much easier. The plastic is completely rigid and doesn't want to move all around. So thank you Tom! 

51274234151_3b71ef22d7_c.jpg

51273485502_bc4a9a2bce_c.jpg

And of course while at it, I'm experimenting with applying rivets with a ponce wheel. I've tried it before in small areas but this time I'm doing both the wings and the fuselage.

51273485492_4dbbb836e1_c.jpg

51273485487_b34d1a7378_c.jpg

They are hard to see even with using black chalk powder rubbed in to bring out what has   been done and what hasn't.

Next step will be to begine the separating of the parts from the plastic.

• Like 7

Glad to be able to pass on that little Pearl of wisdom - it certainly does make scribing so much easier!

Lookin’ good by the way...

Tom

• Thanks 1

Deep in the stash I have the Contrail version of this. A couple of times I've been tempted to open it and look at the contents only to chicken out, and reach for a large single malt to calm my nerves. 

Really looking forward to following this one, best of luck. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Thanks Pat. So far, though I may jinx myself ,its coming along a whole lot better than anticipated. I've finished all the re-scribing ,riveting. and separating from the plastic sheeting. Opened up all the ports and have got a fair handle on what is going to be built from card stock and what's probably going to be printed. Now its just a matter of getting down to the gritty nitty. In between sweating like a politician on election day with the minor heatwave going on at present. 33c feeling like 39c with the humidity at 55% and dew point 23c. You don't walk outside. You swim.  But I'll take that over shoveling snow any day of the week.

• Like 2

Well well well, what have we here? You know that as soon as you finish it the ICM kit will hit the shelves. Then again, how rewarding will it be when you get this finished and can show it off to all of us! We wish you the best of luck and looks like you’ve made a cracking start so far. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Right come on, we've all been waiting patiently for 2 weeks to see what's happening.

Have you finished it ?

cheers Pat

Patience,my young Scottish Padewan, Patience. All will be revealed in due course. The last 2 weeks have been consumed with finishing up one GB,(Barely) and equipment breakdowns  from heat and awaiting replacements this week in the constantly delayed Post.

Have no fear, Smith is here and I'll have an update very soon. :oops:

• Like 2

As @JOCKNEY had eloquently pointed out it has been a bit since my last update. Having fro the most part gotten all the riveting done I tried an idea mentioned by @billn53 ,who in turn got it from @Rob K.,namely using clear uv resin to make odd shaped windows. Using clear packing tape to cover the outside port hole.,I used an eyedropper to put just enough resin to fill the area. it took a few tries as the resin had a tendency to leak out before I could use a UV light to cure it. Not perfect but it's definitely better than punching out clear disks and trying to attach them to the fuselage without getting excess glue or worse, finger prints on the plastic from the glue.

51322687323_ef4fe5e5f5_c.jpg

Although upon reflection I probably should have done this AFTER I had painted the interior, Oh well..

Moving on.,

I made bulkheads and flooring. added framing in the cockpit area and Nav/Bombardier station in the nose. I'm not going to trick out the radio compartment as it won't really be seen except though gangway from the cockpit, and then just barely.

51322487166_03dca2162d_c.jpg

51323206264_1fd1887eac_c.jpg

then worked on the Bombay modifying it for torpedo use.

51322687328_3910fcc84e_c.jpg

51323483015_6b9e239f7e_c.jpg

I'll get these painted up and by then I'll have the seats, instrument panel and other bits printed up then I can finally seal up the fuselage and get it squared away so the wings can bet worked on and added. So with luck the next update won't be too long.

So until next time Be safe, Stay healthy ,and model on.:pilot:

• Like 9

11 hours ago, billn53 said:

That UV resin trick for making small windows is getting around… 

Good to see, I had another go after a bad fitting small top nose window on my b-17. Used the packing tape, but couldn’t get the adhesive off with the goo remover. Than had another go and this time using the glossy non adhesive side to hold the glue in place (small patch held by Tamiya tape). Result: Clear as day up to the point where it is difficult to see if there is a window at all from some angles👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billn53 said:

That UV resin trick for making small windows is getting around… 

Good to see, I had another go after a bad fitting small top nose window on my b-17. Used the packing tape, but couldn’t get the adhesive of with the goo remover. Than had another go and this time using the glossy non adhesive side to hold the glue in place (small patch held by Tamiya tape). Result: Clear as day up to the point where it is difficult to see if there is a window at all from some angles👍 Amazing work on the Beaufort by the way. Will follow this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Another vac! I’m hoping you will add a couple of wing spars stuck to the floor and sticking out of the sides before you close up. 

Looking forward to this one.

Regards,

Adrian

That's kinda what I had in mind. Because of the bombbay being open a spar all the way through wouldnt work. So I'm making a set of spar "slats" that will be epoxied in holes on either side where the wing attaches rather than use CA for strength.

1 hour ago, Rob K. said:

Good to see, I had another go after a bad fitting small top nose window on my b-17. Used the packing tape, but couldn’t get the adhesive of with the goo remover. Than had another go and this time using the glossy non adhesive side to hold the glue in place (small patch held by Tamiya tape). Result: Clear as day up to the point where it is difficult to see if there is a window at all from some angles👍 Amazing work on the Beaufort by the way. Will follow this.

Thanks Rob, I had the same problem on my first try. Couldn't get the stick surface off no matter what I used. Took a small piece of tape and placed the smooth side down and held it in place with another piece of tape. The one thing to watch out for is making sure there is a tight seal with the tape. Otherwise the resin will ooze out before it can be cured. One glass still managed to fog over slightly, but the others perfectly clear. Not sure why, but acceptable for the present.

• Like 2

Your B-17 interior is far from wonky Rob. I've built the Revell/Monogram B-17 in multiple variations over the years. If aany thing your build has  given me enough ideas I'm seriously considering taking my "G" version I did many years back and doing a full  restoration on it and bringing it up to snuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Moving along now that I have a Shelf of Doom project finished, The ribbing to the Starboard side of the beaufort is done along with some gauges and leavers.

51385047286_73338ddc01_c.jpg

51385788904_2c9a24ff51_c.jpg

From there completing the finishing touches to the cockpit and Navigators station.

51384291552_b37dea3859_c.jpg

51385299278_6e5c8e2989_c.jpg

I added thin rod for the leavers. The instrument pane, pilots seat cockpit tub I had previously printed out.

Simple thread for panel wiring.

51384291477_bd27e97c09_c.jpg

Gave everything a light wash to bring out details.

51385047266_e372cf765e_c.jpg

MAde the seat belts out of tamiya masking tape with hardware from my spares box

51386057625_f251bc26d0_c.jpg

• Like 3

51385788879_111b05898b_c.jpg

Carefully cemented both sides together I had an accident earlier in the build when I cut out for the windows on the starboard side. At the time I though that it might be a mistake as the plastic was held on with VERY thin and narrow pieces that if not careful would  break. Well Yep, it broke off and part of the frame when "Gone with the Wind". I'll have to study Not only re-attach securely, but making sure it matches  the interior framing.. In the mean time, I've filled the seam top and bottom

51386057580_e157a0546d_c.jpg

Once I get these sanded down I' finish adding the rudder and Horizontal Stabilizers. Something else I've got to check references on  the nose glass. the very end is flattened rather than pointed. It may be necessary to make a copy with MIlliput and correct the shape so I can Vac a new nose. The rear turret looks like it make have to be redone as well, but we'll see. BUt so far it's coming together better than some vacs I've done recently.

• Like 3