Special Duties Hudson! 1/72nd SH/ Revell Hudson, 161 (SD) Sqn **FINISHED***

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is looking great and again record breakingly quick for one of these. 

Great job 

Chris

Thanks Chris,...... part of me is thinking that if I put it aside I`ll never return to it LOL! I love the old Hudson and want to make many more,..... but this kit is VERY hard work!

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,......

Well first coat of Dark Green going on;

DSCF1422.jpg

DSCF1425.jpg

DSCF1424.jpg

A couple more and we should be ready for the black,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

I'm being real quiet, sitting at the back, taking copious notes, and picking up my jaw, which seems to happen every time I watch a ToT WIP! You sure can pick 'em, Tony! (I totally agree-  the Hudson is one handsome aircraft!)

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I'm being real quiet, sitting at the back, taking copious notes, and picking up my jaw, which seems to happen every time I watch a ToT WIP! You sure can pick 'em, Tony! (I totally agree-  the Hudson is one handsome aircraft!)

Mike

Thanks Mike,..... yeah it is a lovely aeroplane,..... pity the kit is a pig!! 

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Starts to get a bit sore after a while.

Looking braw with the first coat on.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,..... LOL,....

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress again Tony  I am positively glacial compared to you!!!

Looks fab with the green going on.

Chris

Cheers Chris,...... yeah it is getting there.

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Looking good Tony. But I am putting mine up for sale as I don't have room and must clear my stash bit by bit.

Thanks Paul,...... I`m tempted to buy it from you,...... how much would it be?

• Like 1

Another update,......

After the green was on,...... I started with the black undersides,.....using Mig `One Shot' Primer,......

DSCF1426.jpg

DSCF1427.jpg

And another coat,....

DSCF1429.jpg

DSCF1430.jpg

And another,..... plus some tidying up of the green too,.....

DSCF1431.jpg

DSCF1432.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 16

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Tony, it looks Marvellous with the black on too.

Great job fella. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,...... a coat of varnish on tonight and hopefully the decals soon.

• Like 1

Looks terrific. I liked the one without the turret too - it looks sooooo much sleeker, almost like a proper aeroplane! Looking at how much work it took to get it up to scratch (and you've built how many?), I don't feel so bad about doing the Airfix one now! It's a shame that we so often have to trade off between accuracy and buildability.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks terrific. I liked the one without the turret too - it looks sooooo much sleeker, almost like a proper aeroplane! Looking at how much work it took to get it up to scratch (and you've built how many?), I don't feel so bad about doing the Airfix one now! It's a shame that we so often have to trade off between accuracy and buildability.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,...... yes the Hudson looks superb without that bulky turret,...... and the one with the solid nose was much easier to paint too LOL. Ah the old Airfix Hudson,..... I loved that kit as a kid,....... played with it so much,...... those working undercarriage legs and spinny props! 

32 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Tony! Great to see the Hudson in SD colours,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,...... since finding out about them years ago I`ve always fancied building one. ....... thanks to Alistair giving me his surplus decal sheet I can build one more accurately. 

• Like 2

Cheers Alistair,......... well I put your decals to use tonight mate,...... thanks!

DSCF1454.jpg

DSCF1456.jpg

Cheers again mate and all the best,

Tony

• Like 15

Man, that looks fantastic with the decals going on.

She looks beautiful.

It's a pleasure to see what a proper modeller can do with a difficult kit and with such speed too.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Tony - she looks cracking!

Cheers,

Roger 

Cheers Roger,.

4 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Quite a saucy Hudson there buddy. Good build! 

Thanks mate. 

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes, looks wicked with the decals on and the SD scheme looks fantastic Tony.  I am still  stunned by the speed of your assembly of this slightly troublesome or challenging kit.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... I`m a bit shocked myself to be fair!! 

4 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Simply outstanding work mate on a very difficult kit  looks the business in that scheme too  Tony very well done its a beauty

Thanks for sharing as always 

Eamonn

Cheers Eamonn,... 

54 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Man, that looks fantastic with the decals going on.

She looks beautiful.

It's a pleasure to see what a proper modeller can do with a difficult kit and with such speed too.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,..... I don`t know about  proper modeller mate,...... more by the seat of my pants than the use of skill!!  

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,.... another update!

Well I`ve given the model a watercolour wash to highlight the panel lines,...... added a coat of matt varnish and also drilled and filed out the hole in the roof for the astrodome;

DSCF1481.jpg

.DSCF1482.jpg

I`m also reading this book about 161 (SD) Sqn`s Hudson Flight and it is very interesting,.......

1807265.jpg

...... and regarding the parachute exit for `Joes' (Agents) towards the end of the war,...... they used a slide system similar to that used by Special Duties Liberators,...... so the under fuselage gun position must have been utilised in some way, possibly using doors opening inwards like the Stirling or Halifax. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10