SAMI, MAM, SMMI June issues

WarthogMKL

2 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi All,

I have just had a reply from MW of MA Publication, following a second email to him regarding non-delivery of SAMI .

He states that "June and July issues will be with you early next week shortly followed by August"

He also states, " We apologise for the delays which have been caused by issues beyond our control."

So,, watch this space, if mine do turn up as stated, I'll post to let you know.

Issues beyond their control ... right! So they're saying that the missing issues will be available to buy from their site as print copies early next week. I won't hold my breath ... They won't be able to distribute them through the newsstands, so they're going to send them out to subscribers and those who order from the website. Hmmm ... not sure I'll be trusting them with my cash!

5 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi All,

I have just had a reply from MW of MA Publication, following a second email to him regarding non-delivery of SAMI .

He states that "June and July issues will be with you early next week shortly followed by August"

He also states, " We apologise for the delays which have been caused by issues beyond our control."

So,, watch this space, if mine do turn up as stated, I'll post to let you know.

Another target date. We will see but confidence is not high.

E-mailed Mark Willey ([email protected]) yesterday (11:28) quoting WarthogMKL's message of 24 June.

The rest of my message was

"Strangely I never received a copy of this message though I am a long time subscriber and I have received plenty of emails from MA Pubs in the past. I checked my "spam" folder.

My previous email to you promptly generated the May editions of my subscriptions.

Rather than pester you I thought I would wait patiently for the June and July editions of my subscriptions to arrive.

Again on Britmodeller at the weekend I saw an entry from someone that they had just received their magazines.

As I am still waiting, and it is now almost the end of July I thought it was time to ask,

1. when I might finally receive my Jun & Jul editions of  the magazines and 

2. when distribution is finally going to become regular once more?

Hoping to hear from you and receive the Jun & Jul editions of my subscriptions soon."

I received the following reply (11:42):

"Thank you for your email.

June and July issues will be with you early next week shortly followed by August.

We apologise for the delays which have been caused by issues beyond our control.

Things will be returning to normal from September issues we hope.

Best regards"

The reply gave me hope and I asked if he would be happy for me to publish his reply on Britmodeller. The reply was "Yes please go ahead and do so." hence this post.

It would appear that perhaps the original reply was a "blanket" response given Samuraiwarrior's earlier post.

Like everybody I am getting fed up with the excuses but I thought I would help "spread the word".

Time will tell.

Edited by TMMNET
Complete message not originally saved

Much as I finally welcome a response from Mark. Seven days ago he promised me a refund it’s not happened I notified them of opening a dispute via my card company to the reply of thanks for letting us know. No attempt to put things right,I have also been told things would be back to normal in august, so it’s already slipped a month. And note my mags that’s all three have not been correctly delivered since November last year!. I could have lived with things but it’s the lies that got to me in the end .

1 hour ago, TMMNET said:

E-mailed Mark Willey ([email protected]) yesterday (11:28) quoting WarthogMKL's message of 24 June.

The rest of my message was

"Strangely I never received a copy of this message though I am a long time subscriber and I have received plenty of emails from MA Pubs in the past. I checked my "spam" folder.

My previous email to you promptly generated the May editions of my subscriptions.

Rather than pester you I thought I would wait patiently for the June and July editions of my subscriptions to arrive.

Again on Britmodeller at the weekend I saw an entry from someone that they had just received their magazines.

As I am still waiting, and it is now almost the end of July I thought it was time to ask,

1. when I might finally receive my Jun & Jul editions of  the magazines and 

2. when distribution is finally going to become regular once more?

Hoping to hear from you and receive the Jun & Jul editions of my subscriptions soon."

I received the following reply (11:42):

"Thank you for your email.

June and July issues will be with you early next week shortly followed by August.

We apologise for the delays which have been caused by issues beyond our control.

Things will be returning to normal from September issues we hope.

Best regards"

The reply gave me hope and I asked if he would be happy for me to publish his reply on Britmodeller. The reply was "Yes please go ahead and do so." hence this post.

It would appear that perhaps the original reply was a "blanket" response given Samuraiwarrior's earlier post.

Like everybody I am getting fed up with the excuses but I thought I would help "spread the word".

Time will tell.

As I said, watch them pop up again in September under a new trading name. Anyone remember SAM Publications? I wonder if they too were victims of circumstances beyond their control ...

34 minutes ago, DamnFockes said:

As I said, watch them pop up again in September under a new trading name. Anyone remember SAM Publications? I wonder if they too were victims of circumstances beyond their control ...

SAM publications ceased trading as the previous owner SOLD up and retired, they sold the magazine to MA publications. I was a subscriber at the time, and received details both in the post and via email. I also received confirmation of this in other ways offline. So has nothing with which you are suggesting.

56 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

SAM publications ceased trading as the previous owner SOLD up and retired, they sold the magazine to MA publications. I was a subscriber at the time, and received details both in the post and via email. I also received confirmation of this in other ways offline. So has nothing with which you are suggesting.

Errr ... ok ... they seem to have had exactly the same directors as MA Publications when they ceased trading ..

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07830009/officers

On 7/27/2021 at 1:08 PM, Hardtarget said:

Thanks for keeping us posted, I await my copies then. Presume Andy Evans will be taking over the editorial now that Dave appears to be no longer.

That seems the most logical expectation. Has anyone heard from Andy Evans about this?

As far as I understand from the record, SAM Publications was transferred from the ownership of Mr Elliott, who presumably is the person mentioned as retiring, in 2011.

In 2016 SAM Publications appointed a liquidator, the liquidation effectively completing  in 2018 (formal end 2019).  Effectively,  no monies were paid to creditors by the liquidator. The main creditors were trade and HMRC.  A company called Hobbyzone Ltd, two of whose directors are the same folk as latterly owned SAM Publications, appears to have proposed purchasing the goodwill of SAM Publications for a fairly nominal sum. That did not occur and Hobbyzone has also gone - in its case into compulsory liquidation. 

MA Publications began in 2018 with the same two directors as previously were listed for SAM Publications.  Now MA Publications has some statutory reports outstanding.

A proposed strike off action by the Registrar of Companies has been temporarily suspended - this suggests that some action is planned to submit the relevant reports. (My understanding is that if reports are overdue for too long, this strike-off mechanism is used to encourage response.)

In effect this suggests all is officially 'pending' for now.     

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John B (Sc) said:

MA Publications began in 2018 with the same two directors as previously were listed for SAM Publications.  Now MA Publications has some statutory reports outstanding.

They haven't filed their first annual accounts for the period up to 30 April 2019. If a company doesn't file accounts, it's usually not the best of signs.

1 hour ago, John B (Sc) said:

That seems the most logical expectation. Has anyone heard from Andy Evans about this?  

Nope, perhaps Dave can enlighten us but he may be under a gagging order to not reveal sensitive information if there are issues in the background.

Was looking forward to his Mirage F.1 book due for release in May.

I do hope this is all a misunderstanding but i cant help feeling there is some negligence and a clear lack of experience of running a publicaiton company.  Without getting personal, the two directors in effect inherited SAM and ran it into the ground, they had Hobby Zone which went the same way, now MA is looking of going in the same direction. With the oldest director at now 36, where is the experienced assistance and support in running this company? With SAM Publication owing HMRC a LOT of money in TAX anf PAYE, where have the lessons been learnt with MA?  Reading the reports of said companies, they dont appear to have had the best of times.

I sincerly hope they recover and sort out their issues, but lack of communication and clarificaiton from either of the directors to the subscribers is inexcusable and appears to show lack of understanding on how a subscription service works. You lose the loyal fan base, where is the guarenteed revenue? You are left with shop stalls and shows, which there havent been any and shops such as WH Smith will simply drop you if your not getting the good to market.  Income becomes very hard and in the end is unsustainable. Must must get goods to market.

On 28/07/2021 at 16:40, tempestfan said:

They haven't filed their first annual accounts for the period up to 30 April 2019. If a company doesn't file accounts, it's usually not the best of signs.

They are two years behind on accounts we are past April 2021! 

As ive said previously, i think they have burnt too many bridges with suppliers, and there is no point in having suppliers if there is no loyal fan base or supply chain.

41 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

They are two years behind on accounts we are past April 2021!  Not showing accounts, tells you that they are potentially hiding something, most likely income which would be taxable and is to be paid in full or showing your hand to creditors. 

Not declaring this will end up with a widing order (issued) and HMRC will push for insolvancy which takes time, something that perhaps is what the directors are banking on. As ive said previously, i think they have burnt too many bridges with suppliers, and there is no point in having suppliers if there is no loyal fan base or supply chain.

Yes, that's why I italiced the 19. They may not be hiding income, it may well be their balance sheet is - well... unbalanced 😉 If a director runs three successive companies into the ground with considerable tax (and worse still, social security) debts, there would be close scrutiny in Germany whether such person is unfit for office.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Des said:

Likewise.

Sure that they used to take payment by Paypal but not an option this time.

Interestingly I was going to use Paypal for protection but as you say, no longer an option, which is a bit disconcerting. Will give them the benefit of the doubt as would like to complete the current volume.

Edited by KLN

26 minutes ago, Des said:

Likewise.

Sure that they used to take payment by Paypal but not an option this time.

I noticed that and tried to edit the payment type, but it just led me round in a circle so I gave up on that.

You cannot use section 75 for a Credit Card payment as it is under £100 but you can use "Chargeback" if goods are not received and you can show you have tried to request a refund without success 😉👍

Errr ... right. And £2.31 for postage for a single issue which is nearly twice what Guideline charge for postage for a single issue, while Key Publishing do free postage. As you say, with PayPal it's easy to get the money back when the magazines are not delivered. Perhaps I'll  wait for them to appear in Smiths. Do let us know when they arrive though!

Edited by DamnFockes
extra information

5 hours ago, KLN said:

Ordered as well

Just a quick one, did you notice the company name at the bottom of the confirmation e-mail? I showed to a fellow co-worker at work who does some modelling for the target mags and he said that it was different to the normal name.