SAMI, MAM, SMMI June issues

WarthogMKL

5 hours ago, DamnFockes said:

Yeah. I think with no communication to the contrary I would expect to MA Publications go into administration any day. Happy to be proved wrong.

Signs re not looking good so a possible £118.80 p/a saving :)

• Like 1

I apologise for not replying to your post but to be honest I have no information to give except one.

In this and other threads I have tried to give you my view of what is going on based on what information I was given or surmised at all times. I have answered honestly and with candour all questions I have been asked and helped as many as I could to get a resolution to the issues they had.. And I thank you all for the support I have received over the last six months

Now for the hard bit for me to write  On the 1st of July my freelance contract with MA publications ended after 25 years contributing to SAMi and its sister magazines. To say I'm heartbroken is an understatement. I have worked with an amazing team of editors over the years starting with the late great Alan Hall for the other SAM and then moving to SAMi with Richard Franks, Gary Hatcher, Neil Robinson, Mike Jerram and Andy Evans and for the last 3 years unbelievable I had my dream job as Editor and in that time  have led a great team of contributors sadly to many to name but some who I am now proud to call friends.

As to the future of magazine before I left both June and July21 issues had been completed and delivered to the Publishers ready for press but in the last two weeks I have had no answer to my request for updates on when that print run would happen.

Personally at this stage my own future is unclear, as many of you are aware, I wear a number of hats outside of the model world so I will still be keeping myself busy But I do hope to return to the modelling world in some form  after a short break away from the stress of the last 8 months and all the issues this has brought to the publishers.

D C Francis

Ex Editor

SAMi

Edited by WarthogMKL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 6

Yes, all the best for your future, I hope it goes well for you.

Thanks for all you have done, in the Magazine world, and your Paramedic role too!

Ray

• Like 1

Thanks from me too. You obviously did your best in very stressful circumstances. The omens for SAMI and its related publications are not very promising.

I have a soft spot for SAMI as it is the only magazine ((so far) that has published an article written by me.

• Like 1

Sad days indeed.  I have every single copy of SAMI, from Jan 95 to May 21 (hopefully Jun and Jul to follow!)

These last few months have been trying to say the least, but, as I have come to understand, the editorial team has done an outstanding job - sincerely, thank you Dave and your team.  Sorry if I gave you a hard time.

Steph S-F 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WarthogMKL said:

I apologise for not replying to your post but to be honest I have no information to give except one.

In this and other threads I have tried to give you my view of what is going on based on what information I was given or surmised at all times. I have answered honestly and with candour all questions I have been asked and helped as many as I could to get a resolution to the issues they had.. And I thank you all for the support I have received over the last six months

Now for the hard bit for me to write  On the 1st of July my freelance contract with MA publications ended after 25 years contributing to SAMi and its sister magazines. To say I'm heartbroken is an understatement. I have worked with an amazing team of editors over the years starting with the late great Alan Hall for the other SAM and then moving to SAMi with Richard Franks, Gary Hatcher, Neil Robinson, Mike Jerram and Andy Evans and for the last 3 years unbelievable I had my dream job as Editor and in that time  have led a great team of contributors sadly to many to name but some who I am now proud to call friends.

As to the future of magazine before I left both June and July21 issues had been completed and delivered to the Publishers ready for press but in the last two weeks I have had no answer to my request for updates on when that print run would happen.

Personally at this stage my own future is unclear, as many of you are aware, I wear a number of hats outside of the model world so I will still be keeping myself busy But I do hope to return to the modelling world in some form  after a short break away from the stress of the last 8 months and all the issues this has brought to the publishers.

D C Francis

Ex Editor

SAMi

David Hi

So sorry to read about your news... you know where I am when you are ready.  Kind regards Tom

• Like 2

Hi,

I would like to commend David for his gallant efforts in leading his team of contributors in very difficult times. He did his best to maintain contact with readers/subscribers and help wherever possible.

Sadly, MA publications has again failed to meet its own time frames and assurances to its subscribers and readers, and I don't think the June/July issues are ever likely to appear.

Thankyou David, for your efforts. I wish you well, and that you can get back to modelling, and leave the stresses you have endured far behind you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, Paul821 said:Triple Six "are currently contracted to produce International Best Selling magazines in the hobby industry for MA Publications". Their accounts only show this as a dormant company with two shares of £1 each.

They are a ‘company limited by guarantee’. Each member of the company owns a £1 share and in the event of winding up proceedings are personally liable for £1 of any debt the company has at winding up. After that - zilch. I was a director of Merseyside Aviation Society Limited and as such was theoretically liable for £1 of its debts. Fortunately we were in surplus at winding up. No I didn’t get a free pound either - that’s not how it works.

Upshot is that there is very little personal exposure in winding up a company limited by guarantee. 

Trevor

17 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

They are a ‘company limited by guarantee’. 

According to their Articles they are both Companies Limited by shares, a company limited by guarantee’ has to be  not for profit in most cases, such as voluntary organisations such as yours.

Has anyone got any answer or tried to call them to see what is happening with the June & July issues? Not responding to emails. Still not had the intial OP email from them stating what was happening.

Edited by Hardtarget
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hardtarget said:

Has anyone got any answer or tried to call them to see what is happening with the June & July issues? Not responding to emails. Still not had the intial OP email from them stating what was happening.

The publisher/owners are on Holiday till end of next week.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’ve tried calling three or four times all options go to an answer phone had a reply to an email Monday saying they are closed till next Tuesday. I was also informed an email was coming out to all subscribers today, any one seen it??. I will be calling Tuesday to cancel the remaining 6 months I have on three subscription purely now because I don’t like being lied to. Any probs I will be contacting my card company. At least @WarthogMKL tried to keep us informed 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Hi All, 

I have sent MW of MA Publications an email tonight highlighting his own, and MA Publications information sent to subscribers. To which thus far none has been actioned, or received by myself and other subscriber's, within my own modelling community.

I think the chance of a meaningful reply is very limited/likely.

I too, dislike being misled, or being given totally incorrect/unreliable information.

I think the the integrity level of MA Publications is below zero, based upon recent communications and assurances.  

I think we can all thank David, and his team for the efforts they have put in to produce this magazine. Pity the management, did not act in the same manner or with the same integrity. 

• Like 3

I’ve no doubt we’ll see these titles appear again in the autumn under a new publisher (read the posts above). I certainly will not be buying SAMI, SMMI etc again however they appear (if they appear) in the future.