Modelling Safety - Respirators

raafbloke

Apologies, I first posted this in 'Airbrushes'. Then realised it was probably the wrong spot, so it copied here where I hope it reaches more members. Cheers, raafbloke.

G'day folks,

I've just finished setting up a new modelling room in a converted shed near my house. It would be a 'granny flat' if it had running water, but then, I don't have a granny!

My concern is I've just discovered there is no physical way for me to install a fume cabinet/extractor. The shed was lined on the outside with brick and a builder has told me that fitting an extractor would be difficult and cost ten arms and legs!

So, chaps, I need some advice on respirators. I can set up a paint booth but it won't have any kind of extraction. 

I haven't got a clue about respirators, apart from the ones we used to use in the RAAF, many years ago and they were terrible, plus expensive, I guess.

Even though I try to use only water based paints, like Vallejo, I reckon it's best to avoid breathing in any kind of paint or dust particles. Like I do some resin work and I've heard that's problematic.

So, using your collective wisdom, could I get the lowdown on what kind of respirator best suits modellers? Bearing in mind I'm in the colonies, Australia... I guess it should be a well known 'name' brand that's widely available.

Also, I have a beard, does this present a problem?

Any advice or examples for me to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, 

raafbloke

Bill Halliwell

Tasmania 

I am in more or less the same situation and recently bought a Moldex respirator mask (MDX7002) and P100 filters (MDX7940). P100 filters are used for both oil and non-oil based particulates. The mask is available in 3 sizes and is comfortable. Also pricing is very reasonably (at least in Canada ...). The Moldex site (www.moldex.com) provides a lot of information is one of the more common manufacturers of PPE. The site also gives a list of local distributors including a bunch of them in Australia, I bought mine through Grainger who have locations all over the globe.

Hope this helps !

3M make some very good masks. As they are a big, international brand they should be available over there. A bit pricey but worth it. 

A beard does affect the fit a little bit unfortunately as the rubber can't seal fully. 

Also if you need a paint booth they come with a flexible extraction hose which can be stuck out a window or door. Maybe worth looking into. 

Hope some of that helps.