raafbloke

G'day folks,

I've just finished setting up a new modelling room in a converted shed near my house. It would be a 'granny flat' if it had running water, but then, I don't have a granny!

My concern is I've just discovered there is no physical way for me to install a fume cabinet/extractor. The shed was lined on the outside with brick and a builder has told me that fitting an extractor would be difficult and cost ten arms and legs!

So, chaps, I need some advice on respirators. I can set up a paint booth but it won't have any kind of extraction. 

I haven't got a clue about respirators, apart from the ones we used to use in the RAAF, many years ago and they were terrible, plus expensive, I guess.

Even though I try to use only water based paints, like Vallejo, I reckon it's best to avoid breathing in any kind of paint or dust particles. Like I do some resin work and I've heard that's problematic.

So, using your collective wisdom, could I get the lowdown on what kind of respirator best suits modellers? Bearing in mind I'm in the colonies, Australia... I guess it should be a well known 'name' brand that's widely available.

Also, I have a beard, does this present a problem?

Any advice or examples for me to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, 

raafbloke

Bill Halliwell

Tasmania 

I use a 3M 7500 half mask with replaceable particle and vapour filters, very comfortable and no smells.

Have mine for over ten years worn almost daily and still going strong, just replace the filters when needed.

I'm a glasses wearer and they sit on it fine and my Optivisor fits comfortably over the straps.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, raafbloke said:

G'day folks,

I've just finished setting up a new modelling room in a converted shed near my house. It would be a 'granny flat' if it had running water, but then, I don't have a granny!

My concern is I've just discovered there is no physical way for me to install a fume cabinet/extractor. The shed was lined on the outside with brick and a builder has told me that fitting an extractor would be difficult and cost ten arms and legs!

So, chaps, I need some advice on respirators. I can set up a paint booth but it won't have any kind of extraction. 

I haven't got a clue about respirators, apart from the ones we used to use in the RAAF, many years ago and they were terrible, plus expensive, I guess.

Even though I try to use only water based paints, like Vallejo, I reckon it's best to avoid breathing in any kind of paint or dust particles. Like I do some resin work and I've heard that's problematic.

So, using your collective wisdom, could I get the lowdown on what kind of respirator best suits modellers? Bearing in mind I'm in the colonies, Australia... I guess it should be a well known 'name' brand that's widely available.

Also, I have a beard, does this present a problem?

Any advice or examples for me to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, 

raafbloke

Bill Halliwell

Tasmania 

If you have a glass window  that is handily placed, then you can get a sheet of glass/Perspex with the right sized hole cut in it. Then put a louvered front on the outside  to keep insects etc on the outside when it's not in use.

Paul

• Thanks 1

When I started using my airbrush last year, I bought a small 3-speed fan to put in the window of my basement room. The window has two windows, the inside one and the outside one. This is needed up here, on The Backside of Beyond, as it gets cold as frig during the winter and the two windows help keep out the cold. These are sliding windows so one side can be opened. The open side also has a screen to keep little critters out.

The fan worked great. I was only spraying acrylic paints that don't have strong odours, but my missus can smell squirrel flatulence from across the street, but she didn't smell the paint.

50302174453_1e1a497525_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

G'day Dromia, Foghorn, Dogsbody, Little Cars and anyone I may have missed.

I might seem like an ungrateful so and so, but I promise I'm not. I'm very late with this response and for that I apologise. It turned out the renovation on my modeling room took a lot longer than I estimated. I didn't account for money, drinking time, grocery shopping and odd jobs for my Better Half. I explored all of your suggestions and I decided to go with a 3M half face respirator in the 7500 range, the 7503 for a 'fathead' like me. The fit is fantastic and after I got used to it I hardly know it's there. So, thanks very much Dromia for the tip. And, I managed to get my order in before all the respirators started flying off the shelves on account of the dreaded 'youknowwhat'. 

I have been using your other blokes' tips for adapting my one window pane for an exhaust fan, however, the space in there is limited by my ever growing stash which has definitely gone 'SABLE' on me. I got the term SABLE from an elderly modeller in the US who's wife came up with this acronym, it stands for: Stash Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. I thought it was an absolute hoot so, I asked permission to use it. 

I can't afford a purpose built spray booth but I've got an old cooktop filtered extraction fan assembly. I'm not handy with gear like that so, now I'm waiting on a mate to try and fix up a fibreboard 'shell' that will take the extractor fan thingy. Right now I take my model bits that need paint out on to our decking and when the wind is dead calm I spray in the direction of a small, crappy bit of the garden which has builders' rubble underneath it. Thanks to the respirator, I can do tiny paint applications on the sprue trees in my room into the framework where the extractor thing will go. The excess, spill, paint is too small to worry about as long as I'm wearing the respirator.

That's probably way too much info, but you have to forgive me if I waffle on, I used to write for a living and get paid by the paragraph, so I can't help it. If my comments get too long or boring just tell me to 'shut it' and I will ;) 

I really will have to get on to this chat board more often. It was really encouraging for so many folk give good advice to a complete stranger, and to me, an Antipodean at that!

Before I sign off, I just want to mention that I've posted on another part of this board about my desperate search for a conversion set for a 1/72 DHC Mk 7 Caribou kit to make it into a Mk 4 as flown by the RAAF. Also, I'm after a plastic 1/72 Vickers Viscount 800 series or a conversion set to make a 700 series Viscount into an 800 series, specifically, an 816 and an 836 model Viscount as flown by the RAAF from 1964. They were to be a part of our RAAF 100th anniversary multiple build, last year, but we just couldn't find either. I don't know this site well enough to tell you where, exactly, I've posted but the requests are in here somewhere. There's a modest 'finders fee' that might get you a few pints or, once I get all my stash on the ScaleMates site, I'm open to a swap of a kit for the conversion sets I'm after. Most of my stash is WW2 military, Allied mostly, concentrating on aircraft but now I'm getting into a bit of armour and, oddly, some submarines which, I've discovered are a relatively simple build but the trick is the weathering. There I go banging on again. 

I'll get out of your way now. 

Cheers, and all the best you blokes. Take care and I'll get back here when I can. By the way, I love doing historical research so if anyone needs a hand with that sort of thing, drop me a message or an email to: HalliwellMedia@southernphone.com.au 

Bill Halliwell

RAAFbloke 

• Like 2

It should be easy enough to core drill a hole large enough for a 4 inch extractor hose.

Ok you have a brick outer wall, but so does my bathroom and the extractor fan was easy enough to install there.

Not sure why a builder would say it was so expensive, tool hire place would have something suitable to hire for the day.

You could then build a spray booth or from all the arms and legs you saved buy a purpose made one.

• 2 weeks later...

So, are we concluding that some sort of spray booth/extractor system is essential even with a decent protective mask? Or can one 'get away' with just a mask and infrequent/light sessions with an airbrush?

I don't actually own and airbrush (I'll start a separate thread for that question!), but the finishes achievable with one look fabulous so I'm really tempted!