Best acrylic metallic paint

Smithy1961

I bought a set of Vallejo metallic paints to go with a Mig 21 I built and frankly I'm not impressed. They went down ok, but after leaving them for several days to cure they didn't take kindly to a gloss varnish (also vallejo). On a P-51 I used the same paint, but with Alclad Aqua Gloss resulting in another poor finish. My airbrush etc was set up fine, so I can only assume I got a bad batch of paint. Therefore, I would like to try another paint manufacturer on a cheap test model to see what results I can get. All advice appreciated as I have only been back in the hobby recently after a 40 year break.

Which Valljo metallics, was it the model air metallic range (in the same 17ml bottle as the regular Vallejo colours) or the Metal Color range in the large 32ml bottles?

I've never had any problems with the Metal Color paints using AKs Intermediate Gauzy agent as a varnish. I know some varnishes do react badly to Metal Color paints though, Future/Pledge for one.

I've had that happen with lacquers (because they can get reactivated if your clear coat is too heavy and especially uneven), but water based acrylics aren't supposed to do that once they're fully cured. Could you post a picture of an affected area?