HK Models 1/48th Lancaster

This is my latest semi long term project and I found it a delightful build throughout.

Detail is more than adequate, particularly in the cockpit area and the 3 turrets are miniature models in their own right. The cockpit glazing is crystal clear too. You get 4 Merlin engines but as you'd need a fair bit of work to open the cowlings to show them off I just painted them black and left them. The bomb bay could do with a little more attention and I wasn't too keen on the 6 fictitious attachment points for the doors. I assume they are supposed to give some extra strength to them and of course the proper ones are also provided but they are very delicate so I suppose its a catch 22...?

The surface detail tho' is excellent and very convincing, particularly on the wings. Care needs to be taken when cleaning up the fuselage as obviously most of it disappears but its easy enough to reinstate using a tiny razor saws teeth.

Fit generally is spot on with just a little tweak required here and there on the engine nacelles to wing joints. But they could probably be down to me as well.

One great added bonus I can vouch for is the fact that the wings are completely detachable and when fitted do so pretty much perfectly. It can be a bit of a tussle to separate them so during the build I sanded the very strong lugs down just to weaken them a little. It didn't have any effect on the strength either.

The only extras I used were a set of generic seatbelts as I thought the kit ones were far too big and a little basic. The biggest aid I had was to use a set of Dead Designs canopy and turret framing masks. A bit like the Beaufort, it really does make the difference.

As I built the 1/32nd nose art kit as Mickey The Moocher I thought I'd do the same with this one. The decals are from Kits World.

Anyway a most enjoyable build and thanks for looking..

51267297524_9403edf87f_b.jpgL4 

51265825737_ef35bfd73f_b.jpgL1 

51265825507_6e2eee5f1d_b.jpgL2 

51266561801_c149d96998_b.jpgL3 

51265824937_71b43bdc8e_b.jpgL5

51267599190_6a3b0df87a_b.jpgL7

• Like 63
  • Thanks 1

Superb! You've done a grand job there....one to be really proud of!

I've just bought one of these and am about to get started on it....can I ask what brand of paints you used please and what shades for the upper and lower surfaces? 

Thanks in anticipation. 

31 minutes ago, t15dja said:

Superb! You've done a grand job there....one to be really proud of!

I've just bought one of these and am about to get started on it....can I ask what brand of paints you used please and what shades for the upper and lower surfaces? 

Thanks in anticipation. 

Thank you. The green and brown is AK Real colors (RC286 & RC287) and the black is Tamiya gloss black X1 and then matt varnished after applying the decals. The exhaust stains are a mixture of lt. grey, brown and matt black. Enjoy your build. 

• Thanks 1

Excellent job!

I have the old 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster kit, I know it very well, so I give my thoughts after looking at the pictures.

I think the most noticable mistake on the Tamiya is just behind the front turret and in front of the fuselage the (upside down) "U" shaped aerodynamic cover is too wide on the Tamiya, if you look from the side. On the HK kit it's accurate. 

I also see the machine guns are much better on the HK. Probably better cockpit detail and more accurate and detailed here and there on the HK. The HK is better.

If I would buy a Lancaster model now, I would rather buy the HK. Though I am not sure about the recessed panel lines, this one I give to the Tamiya, the surface.

spacer.png

Edited by Remus389