Anthems

Herrick

On 6/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, Vince1159 said:

Thought i'd post this...

Flower of Scotland is a great patriotic song, but I hate it as a national anthem- simply because it defines us Scots solely in terms of opposition to England, and we're so much more than that. Scotland the Brave ticks all

the right boxes, but only being written in 1952 it's a bit young for such an old country. Having said that, Highland Cathedral or Caledonia (both requirng new lyrics) are other young candidates for Scotland's national

anthem.

England's use of Great Britain's national anthem constantly grates on me, it's not the English national anthem, it's the (very poor) British national anthem. Land of Hope and Glory would be far, far better, but these days

it's associated with a particular political party.

The Italian and (Soviet) Russian anthems are, as several on here have said, the best ones around . . .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

England's use of Great Britain's national anthem constantly grates on me, it's not the English national anthem, it's the (very poor) British national anthem

Have you read the second verse?  It is indeed England's national anthem, pressed into service as the British and I agree poor for that job.

I was quite surprised to see the Italian national anthem mentioned by a few here: in Italy many find this not particularly good musically and the lyrics are not too loved either, so much that there have been some suggestions in the past to replace the anthem with something else (with Verdi's Va Pensiero often proposed for some reason).

Personally I don't find our anthem too bad but I don't rate it as a great one either... still, if someone outside Italy likes it maybe it's better than we think... but then I see that many don't seem to like their own anthem too much 😃

Personally I'd rate the Soviet/Russian anthem as my favourite musically, with the French one being pretty good too... and actually I quite like the Irish anthem as well. I find the US one not bad, while both the German and British anthems are a bit "boring" for my taste. Speaking of music only here of course.

Still, nothing to my hears beat a piece that while never an official anthem seem to have been seen by many as the symbol of a state even more than their proper anthem: Strauss' Radetzky March !

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:49 PM, Graham Boak said:

Have you read the second verse?  It is indeed England's national anthem, pressed into service as the British and I agree poor for that job.

https://www.historytoday.com/archive/god-save-queen-history-national-anthem

seems to suggest we're both right!

Did anyone watch the Austrian Grand Prix on Sunday and have to endure the rendition of the Austrian National Anthem that was massacred by a drum and guitar band, it was a disgrace.    Robin. 

• Sad 1

Being a proud Englishman by birth, but having one grandmother of Irish descent and the other of Scottish descent, I really look forward to the Six Nations Rugby tournament each year. 

There's always a tear in my eye when the Irish sing Ireland's Call and the Scots sing Flower of Scotland. 

I remember watching the game one year when Scotland were playing hosts to England at Murrayfield. Scotland were piped onto the pitch by a lone Piper playing Highland Cathedral which had the stadium buzzing . Then the teams lined up and the band played God Save the Queen. Then the Pipe band began to play Flower of Scotland. They played until the end of the first verse and the Pipes fell silent, whereupon the crowd alone took over with the second verse. 

It was obviously a psychological trick to intimidate the English. It certainly worked on me, a fearless ex Loose Head Prop. I was found hiding behind the sofa! 

My other favourite anthems are those of France and the Marseillaise, South Africa and New Zealand. Once again I can be found cowering by the sofa or my wife when the All Blacks do the Haka just before the kick off. I know I said I was a Prop Forward, but I never said that I was a brave one. 

It's always great to see the teams being fired up and shedding a tear by giving a stirring rendition of their National Anthem. 

God bless the Anthems and all who sing them. 

• Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 12:38 AM, cngaero said:

Being a proud Englishman by birth, but having one grandmother of Irish descent and the other of Scottish descent, I really look forward to the Six Nations Rugby tournament each year. 

There's always a tear in my eye when the Irish sing Ireland's Call and the Scots sing Flower of Scotland. 

I remember watching the game one year when Scotland were playing hosts to England at Murrayfield. Scotland were piped onto the pitch by a lone Piper playing Highland Cathedral which had the stadium buzzing . Then the teams lined up and the band played God Save the Queen. Then the Pipe band began to play Flower of Scotland. They played until the end of the first verse and the Pipes fell silent, whereupon the crowd alone took over with the second verse. 

It was obviously a psychological trick to intimidate the English. It certainly worked on me, a fearless ex Loose Head Prop. I was found hiding behind the sofa! 

My other favourite anthems are those of France and the Marseillaise, South Africa and New Zealand. Once again I can be found cowering by the sofa or my wife when the All Blacks do the Haka just before the kick off. I know I said I was a Prop Forward, but I never said that I was a brave one. 

It's always great to see the teams being fired up and shedding a tear by giving a stirring rendition of their National Anthem. 

God bless the Anthems and all who sing them. 

It's true! The crowd singing the second verse of "Flower of Scotland" is Scotland's Haka!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Biased, of course, but "Der er et yndigt land"  ("There is a lovely country") is a poetic, romantic describtion of how Denmark looked around 1820. It's one of two national anthems, but the song of choice for international sports events.

To hear this as opponent in our national stadium must be intimidating. Please note that all the 2012 players actually sing along.

My second vote is for the Russian anthem. Third is the French.

13 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Didn't do 'em any good this morning! (Mind you, the own-goal didn't help ...)

At least they can take some comfort in the fact that they scored more goals than England.

• Haha 1

On 02/07/2021 at 11:35, Fifer54 said:

England's use of Great Britain's national anthem constantly grates on me, it's not the English national anthem, it's the (very poor) British national anthem.

Quite agree but what’s the alternative? GStQ is a pompous dirge at best and, as you say, is the British national anthem. I hate it but I suspect people would take up arms if it were replaced. My wife, an otherwise sensible woman, gets really irate when I criticise it. 

For me as an Englishman, I Vow to Thee, My Country would do it for me, everytime.

John. (Of Anglo Scottish parentage, an Irish Granny, and two German Great Grandfathers).

• Like 1