Anthems

Herrick

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

When events such as the current football tournament come along, the other three nations of the UK get to sing their anthems, but England are stuck with their 17th century dirge. I think that we should have either Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. Failing that...........the theme tune from The Archers.

John.

The trouble with the English national anthem is that is doesn't have anything to do with the nation, just whatever monarch happens to be occupying the throne at the time.  For me, Land of Hope and Glory would be much better, however, in these times there's not much chance of that.

I'm not sure if Brittany can be classed as a separate country, There's probably a difference of opinion between the French and Bretons, but they do have their own song with an oddly familiar tune.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Oh, I know!  Great voice too, I only wish I understood French or Breton!

Same here,not the best singer but Marie LaForet's eyes as well (must be a French thing,put Viens Viens into youtube)....

I've always been taken by this version of La Marseillaise:

La Marseillaise Berlioz, (La Côte-Saint-André, Hector Berlioz) - Bing video

but then it's the Berlioz one, and he's always seriously over the top.

The Finnish one is pretty good, as well

Now, were there a contest for the worst national anthem, Australia's would be hard to beat - stilted, completely uninspiring, and an utter dirge. And don't even think of mentioning "Waltzing Matilda" (which is frequently proffered as an acceptable alternative, God help us!).

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Scotland the Brave" is surely the only choice!?

Definitely! As a demi Scot, that played by the massed pipes and drums, always makes me proud of my heritage.

John (of the Clan Mcfarland).

• Like 1

I’m with Billy Connolly who made a convincing case to replace God Save the Queen with the theme tune to ‘The Archers’. For the benefit of our overseas listeners......

Much more upbeat

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Now, were there a contest for the worst national anthem, Australia's would be hard to beat - stilted, completely uninspiring, and an utter dirge. And don't even think of mentioning "Waltzing Matilda" (which is frequently proffered as an acceptable alternative, God help us!).

In 1983, while driving tours around Europe, I had a tour that was slightly over 50% Kiwi, most of the rest were Aussies & a few Canadians to make up an entirely Commonwealth group, very unusual. Though Gallipoli wasn't on the tour agenda, I was determined to go there so after following the right protocols, cleared it with the Canadians first, there were going to be some compromises in the rest of the itinery to enable it to happen & make it within the allowable kilometres for the tour, I wised up the rest of the punters passengers, then I told the courier what we were going to do, after throwing a fit, I said, ok, you tell them we can't go, needless to say we went :D . Long story short, we had a fantastic day visiting the memorials & cemeteries on the peninsula. What has this to do with National Anthems, just this. The highest point on the Peninsula is Chunuk Bair where the Kiwi memorial is. When we had been there for a bit one of the Kiwi punters said, lets get all the Kiwis together & sing the National Anthem, My initial reaction was "Oh for goodness sake" but they were keen so we all did so. As we did so I was overcome with an incredibly powerful emotion that we were not alone but surrounded by presences for want of a better term. I was not the only one among us who felt the same.  Our Anthem has always meant so much more to me since then, even more so that it is sung bilingually now. The rest of the story is that when we left the Kiwi memorial, we wended our way along the ridges to the Aussie memorial at Lone Pine. One of the Aussie lads found his great uncles name there & it was very moving too. One of the Aussies suggested that they too should sing their anthem, at which point it was found almost none of them knew it, so they all grouped up & sang Waltzing Matilda instead. :D 

I don't think our Anthem is a great one at all but sung like this, it can move me considerably.

Steve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

In 1983, while driving tours around Europe, I had a tour that was slightly over 50% Kiwi, most of the rest were Aussies & a few Canadians to make up an entirely Commonwealth group, very unusual. Though Gallipoli wasn't on the tour agenda, I was determined to go there so after following the right protocols, cleared it with the Canadians first, there were going to be some compromises in the rest of the itinery to enable it to happen & make it within the allowable kilometres for the tour, I wised up the rest of the punters passengers, then I told the courier what we were going to do, after throwing a fit, I said, ok, you tell them we can't go, needless to say we went :D . Long story short, we had a fantastic day visiting the memorials & cemeteries on the peninsula. What has this to do with National Anthems, just this. The highest point on the Peninsula is Chunuk Bair where the Kiwi memorial is. When we had been there for a bit one of the Kiwi punters said, lets get all the Kiwis together & sing the National Anthem, My initial reaction was "Oh for goodness sake" but they were keen so we all did so. As we did so I was overcome with an incredibly powerful emotion that we were not alone but surrounded by presences for want of a better term. I was not the only one among us who felt the same.  Our Anthem has always meant so much more to me since then, even more so that it is sung bilingually now. The rest of the story is that when we left the Kiwi memorial, we wended our way along the ridges to the Aussie memorial at Lone Pine. One of the Aussie lads found his great uncles name there & it was very moving too. One of the Aussies suggested that they too should sing their anthem, at which point it was found almost none of them knew it, so they all grouped up & sang Waltzing Matilda instead. :D 

I don't think our Anthem is a great one at all but sung like this, it can move me considerably.

Steve.

She's pretty and all, but this is more like an anthem to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Another vote for the Russian national anthem. It brings a tear to my eye and makes me proud to be Russian. 

Except I'm not Russian but Irish which just proves how powerful it is. 

I also like the German anthem. I dare say we'll be hearing it soon just before the Euros final.... oooh controversial😂

The Welsh is good too. 

I don't particularly like our Irish anthem though. It's not exactly designed to inspire you to storm into the face of the enemy. I prefer Ireland's call which is sung at Ireland rugby matches because of the team's cross border make up. 

Now I'm off to listen to the Russian anthem again. 

22 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Same here,not the best singer but Marie LaForet's eyes as well (must be a French thing,put Viens Viens into youtube)....

Mmm, see what you mean.  I'm fast become a Francophile if not a Francophone!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 593jones said:

Mmm, see what you mean.  I'm fast become a Francophile if not a Francophone!

I'm long a Francophile. The French ladies well they have a certain 'Je ne sais quoi'. But I think the Bretons are essentially Celts, certainly related to the Welsh and Irish. So no surprise the song has a Welsh like tune. 

I believe that the reason Britain is known as Great Britain is to differentiate it from Brittany. Great as in bigger not better. It's funny to think of that connection. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The highest point on the Peninsula is Chunuk Bair where the Kiwi memorial is. When we had been there for a bit one of the Kiwi punters said, lets get all the Kiwis together & sing the National Anthem, My initial reaction was "Oh for goodness sake" but they were keen so we all did so. As we did so I was overcome with an incredibly powerful emotion that we were not alone but surrounded by presences for want of a better term.

Great story Steve,this part bought a lump to my throat....I've got a dvd about Gallipoli called 'Gallipoli The Frontline Experience' (you may have seen it because it's a partly Australian docu' if you haven't try and get a copy)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Great story Steve, this part bought a lump to my throat....I've got a dvd about Gallipoli called 'Gallipoli The Frontline Experience' (you may have seen it because it's a partly Australian docu' if you haven't try and get a copy)...

Thanks for the recommendation on this Vince, I have seen it quite a few years back now but a copy of my own is a good idea, now fixed via the local auction site. 

Cheers,

Steve.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mike said:

She's pretty and all, but this is more like an anthem to me.

Just watched that clip, not enough data on my phone today. Not sure I'd call it an Anthem but impressive as all hell in a spine chilling fashion. Maybe other's very stirring Anthems do for them what the Haka does for us, in which case, yes, an Anthem of sorts in its own way.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks for the recommendation on this Vince, I have seen it quite a few years back now but a copy of my own is a good idea, now fixed via the local auction site. 

Cheers,

Steve.

There is another one i have called Revealing Gallipoli,three historians one English,one Australian and one Turkish go to the different places...It's not quite as good as the Frontline one with Jeremy Irons and Sam Neill narrating but it's still worth a watch...

• Thanks 1

On 26/06/2021 at 09:41, stevehnz said:

Just watched that clip, not enough data on my phone today. Not sure I'd call it an Anthem but impressive as all hell in a spine chilling fashion. Maybe other's very stirring Anthems do for them what the Haka does for us, in which case, yes, an Anthem of sorts in its own way.  

I do love a good haka. And that is a good haka!

• Like 1

Certainly not the German one. Why the expletive did they have to keep the tune and just go "oh, we jettisoned the first two verses, now it's alright with the world, okay?" Should've taken "Fuchs, du hast die Gans gestohlen", would've been better than "Deutsch-hoppla, Einigkeit..."

God save the Queen always makes me a little sad cause you know the show's done, no more encores by that fabulous RedSpecial-wielding man and his friends.

On 6/23/2021 at 9:48 PM, RAF4EVER said:

For me this one:

I'm all for getting something fresh instead of this 16th century, weird-references-containing*, pompous**, depressing, Reformation*** influenced, overly long**** lament.

*   Honouring the King of an occupying force? Let's skip over the German descent for now...THIS was the best idea we could come up with in 1932?

**  The first letter of each stanza taken in sequence spell WILLEM VAN NASSOV - Really?

***  How many times do we need to hear that Godfearing piety? Count the biblical references in the 15 stanzas.

**** Total duration getting those 15 out in the prescribed cadence is around 15 minutes.  Maybe the intent was to bore the opponent to death?

By now, it's become a severely anachronistic text that by sheer necessity only has the 1st and 6th stanzas (at most) sung. 
Imagine having to do the entire thing every time!

Really, I like being Dutch, overall. This anthem though.... nope.