Anthems

Herrick

I’m sitting here watching France play Portugal. We’ve just had the anthems which got me wondering, which are your favorite anthems?

For me, it’s the Italian followed by France. 
Anybody?

55 minutes ago, Steben said:

(Soviet) Russian of course! There is no other anthem. The others are lullabies.

Well Im American so going to say “The Star Spangled Banner”. However I’ve always liked the Russian/Soviet one ever since I first heard it.  I learned something that day as well. We may have been and to some degree still are enemies. However I learned we all love our countries. I  could hear it in the way it was being sung, and thats something to respect. By the way “God save the Queen” comes in at a tight 3rd. 

Dennis

• Like 3

The old East German anthem was great. It had a cracking tune by the composer Hanns Eisler and I'm sure I remember reading that it was based on an American pop song. The words are pure "Ostalgie" nowadays.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

The Italian Anthem is always a chirpy little number.

Sometimes also referred to as the background music accompanying the trophy presentations during Scuderia Ferrari's Formula One golden years.

There's also a lot to be said for a full crowd at Murrayfield belting out Flower of Scotland

• Like 3

This Welshman isn’t worried at all by saying the French anthem is streets ahead of any other.

Followed by the Welsh anthem. 

• Like 1

When events such as the current football tournament come along, the other three nations of the UK get to sing their anthems, but England are stuck with their 17th century dirge. I think that we should have either Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. Failing that...........the theme tune from The Archers.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

When events such as the current football tournament come along, the other three nations of the UK get to sing their anthems, 

Norn I'rn doesn't have its own anthem. Usually we use the English/UK National one

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It's only a dirge because it is sung that way.  Play it a bit faster with perhaps the tune re-arranged a little.  Whether the crowd will like it/put up with it/actually manage to cope is perhaps another matter.

120bpm and it's a bangin' choon! :yahoo:

Seriously though, there's a potential for some moaning about this and that, so let's not head in that direction.  Keep it positive :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well Im American so going to say “The Star Spangled Banner”. However I’ve always liked the Russian/Soviet one ever since I first heard it.  I learned something that day as well. We may have been and to some degree still are enemies. However I learned we all love our countries. I  could hear it in the way it was being sung, and thats something to respect. By the way “God save the Queen” comes in at a tight 3rd. 

Dennis

Well, Russia is not my country at all :D 

I just love the Russian anthem, songs, classical music.
C'mon, put those speakers on loud and enjoy!

Edited by Steben
  • Like 3

The French is a bit blood-dripping, but it tells well the story of the nation. Being Swiss/Italian, I never liked the Swiss one. Boring melody, and lyrics are as one described "a mix of the local weather report and a prayer" (generally, "mountains" and "god").

Alex

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

It's only a dirge because it is sung that way.  Play it a bit faster with perhaps the tune re-arranged a little.  Whether the crowd will like it/put up with it/actually manage to cope is perhaps another matter.

It's a shame we're not in a vinyl only era because someone 'accidentally' cranking that up to 78rpm could really liven things up! :rofl:

Otherwise, it has to be Italia!!

Ciao!