Painting wheels

KrisW77

If you're airbrushing, use this to paint the wheel rim by choosing the appropriate size.

normo10.jpg

Kind of always available standard-sized mask...

• Thanks 1

Paint the hub first, either freehand with brush or spraying through a circle template as posted by Newbie, then the tire*. Thin the tire* color such that it will flow naturally into the seam between tire* and hub and paint with brush. Alternatively, you can paint the entire (entyre) hub and tire* with your tire* color, then spray the hub through a circle template.

*Translation for British readers: tyre.

I paint the hubs first with the wheel on a cocktail stick or something, and then paint the tyres by hand, turning the stick between my fingers to move the wheel, rather than the paint brush.  I also brace my two hands together to reduce the likelihood of having a wobble. :) I do have some tyre masks for various kits, but I don't tend to worry if I don't :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What Space Ranger and Mike both said. 

If you are doing a tire moulded as a unit with a wheel (as on, say, the usual aircraft kit) it's wheel first, then the tire.  A steady hand, braced against something large and immovable like a big old book is just the thing.  Revolve the wheel/tire against the brush.  A bit of practice and perfection awaits.

I continue to be mystified by the use of an airbrush to paint detail items like wheels, especially big steel wheels on tanks.  A standard hairy stick will do exactly what you need without the paraphernalia.  All the setup, the masking, the overspray.  Who needs it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I routinely cut masks from Tamiya tape for wheels. I use Inkscape and a Portrait Silhouette cutter to make masks the exact size I need. You could also use one of those circle cutting things to cut masks. 

• Thanks 1