The Headless Man

Herrick

I've started these figures 'in the background', so to speak, so they are going to develop very slowly.

I bought them ages ago with the intention of making a dispersal hut diorama based around the Spitfire that I am currently fighting with. Time will tell if anything comes of these intentions.

First off, the compulsory box image, followed by the sprue.

spacer.png

The letters presumably refer to some sort of colour chart but none came with the box, so I'm winging it, if you'll excuse the pun.

p?i=12c313c57c9c70f09a63e0a173455e39

The missing pieces are illustrated below.

p?i=13576c0c1aee4c813c838a0fa88b1123

This obviously only a partly finished paint job; I really wanted to get a feel as to whether the colours looked right.

Hands are Vallejo 70.860 Medium Fleshtone

Uniform is Humbrol 96 RAF blue and life jacket is Humbrol 74 Matt Linen.

Any comments welcome.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I haven't updated this for ages. I've been plodding along, little at a time.

Here is where I'm at now:

p?i=303a67140cdb19e24369dd170e40afa6

The WAAF, the guy with the coat, the dog and the pilot in flying gear are nearly finished as is the pilot with the Mae West. I've given them a protective coat of Quickshine with an aim to give them all a quick spray of matt varnish with the airbrush when they're all finished.

The kneeling man is the only one I haven't glued up yet, he's waiting for his cap but I'd only glued his head in place when I took this! The airman centre stage will receive his jerrycan in due time.

There are other pieces to work on, but they'll get done when I attempt to bring it all together in a diorama. The Spitfire got knocked back and is awaiting its replacement aerial ( the original got broken beyond repair) and the dispersal hasn't even been planned yet, let alone started.

View from the back:

p?i=ada15f46c2120a9193171799b9c1c283

As you can see, there's a bit of touching up to do on a couple of the figures but they'll soon be finished.

I need dirty them up a little, especially the pilot in flying gear who looks way too clean for my liking!

I found it impossible to do anything with faces, they're just too small for me. I tried darkening the lips a bit on one figure, which ended up looking stupid and I've shied away from trying to whiten eyes.

• Like 1

Third from left [not the dog] looks like a refugee from Zombie Apocalypse. No reflection on your painting, it's very good, just his stance.  :o}

Suppose you could have him carrying a propeller blade.

Looking forward to seeing it all come together as a diorama.

Rog

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, roginoz said:

looks like a refugee from Zombie Apocalypse

It is a strange pose! The others are quite reasoanble, especially the airman (eventually) carrying the jerrycan. But ZombieMan, well, perhaps he's about to burst into song? Fancies himself as Fred Astaire?

• Haha 1