F-4G Euro camo scheme. Which anti radar missiles?

RMP2

I have a thing for both Phantoms and the Euro camo scheme. Also I have a thing for anti-radar missiles.

Could anybody tell me if the Euro scheme was in use when the AGM-88 HARM came about, replacing the AGM-45 Shrike and the AGM-78 Standard?

In an ideal world I would like a G in the Euro scheme with all 3 types and a Maverick fitted, centreline tank, ALQ-191 or 184 and maybe a couple of AIM7s. I am seriously doubting the authenticity of such given the history of the ARMs, but figured I would ask as it would make for an interesting model and show the development of said missiles.

2 hours ago, RMP2 said:

I have a thing for both Phantoms and the Euro camo scheme. Also I have a thing for anti-radar missiles.

Could anybody tell me if the Euro scheme was in use when the AGM-88 HARM came about, replacing the AGM-45 Shrike and the AGM-78 Standard?

In an ideal world I would like a G in the Euro scheme with all 3 types and a Maverick fitted, centreline tank, ALQ-191 or 184 and maybe a couple of AIM7s. I am seriously doubting the authenticity of such given the history of the ARMs, but figured I would ask as it would make for an interesting model and show the development of said missiles.

A picture of what you are after it does exists but I'm not sure if it was a Euro 1 or a Sea camouflaged aircraft

Luigi

40 minutes ago, Jabba said:

There was 1 Euro camo schemed aircraft in the Gulf War of 1991, so I would say yes.

I spotted and read about that earlier on. Got lost in a Google search frenzy :)

4 minutes ago, Silverkite said:

A picture of what you are after it does exists but I'm not sure if it was a Euro 1 or a Sea camouflaged aircraft

I have found one in the SEA camo, its banking to the right, unsure if it is ok to post on here though

Just now, RMP2 said:

I spotted and read about that earlier on. Got lost in a Google search frenzy :)

I have found one in the SEA camo, its banking to the right, unsure if it is ok to post on here though

The one I'm searching for was at sunset, three quarters from the right, not sure if there it was another Phantom with it or not, Standard Arm, Shrike, Harm and Maverick were in, not sure about ECM and drop tank, I think it was a Spangdahlem bird

Luigi

• Like 1

After a bit of searching around it would appear that the Euro 1 scheme started around 1983-85 but wasn't applied to all aircraft  until at best the late 80s with at least one exception as mentioned above which I think was serial number 69 7234 from what I have read.

As for the missiles - usage/stocks look something like.... AGM-45 ran from 63-92, AGM-78 from 68-88, AGM-88 from 85-present. So, theoretically it is a possible if not viable or realistic load in that Euro Lizard scheme.

3 minutes ago, Silverkite said:

The one I'm searching for was at sunset, three quarters from the right, not sure if there it was another Phantom with it or not, Standard Arm, Shrike, Harm and Maverick were in, not sure about ECM and drop tank, I think it was a Spangdahlem bird

Luigi

Ah, the one I found is on Wiki, so doubt I will be in trouble for posting it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Weasel#/media/File:F-4G_Phantom_II_wild_weasel.jpg

8 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Ah, the one I found is on Wiki, so doubt I will be in trouble for posting it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Weasel#/media/File:F-4G_Phantom_II_wild_weasel.jpg

mine was either published on Aeronautica & Difesa magazine or somewhere on Aerei and other publications from Delta Editrice, I never bookmarked it cause "training rounds" and because I'm planning to take the whif route and modify inboard pylons to allow LAU-88 and Aim-9 launchers on like Iran and Greece did on theirs F-4D and E, that way it can carry two Mavericks and one Aim-9 per pylon, ECM pod, two Harms, drop tank and two Aim-7

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silverkite said:

mine was either published on Aeronautica & Difesa magazine or somewhere on Aerei and other publications from Delta Editrice, I never bookmarked it cause "training rounds" and because I'm planning to take the whif route and modify inboard pylons to allow LAU-88 and Aim-9 launchers on like Iran and Greece did on theirs F-4D and E, that way it can carry two Mavericks and one Aim-9 per pylon, ECM pod, two Harms, drop tank and two Aim-7

Luigi

Ah. The AIM-9 LAU-7 launchers were a thought of mine too, but wanted to take it one step at a time :) 

Have only found images of them with the LAU-7s but no ARMs on the inboard pylons. It would make for an interesting look, we are thinking similar things

6 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Ah. The AIM-9 LAU-7 launchers were a thought of mine too, but wanted to take it one step at a time :) 

Have only found images of them with the LAU-7s but no ARMs on the inboard pylons. It would make for an interesting look, we are thinking similar things

you can't have  idewinder mounted and put a Maverick below cause it will either burn Aim-9 eye or it will not have enough clearance to be safely fired, it's the same for bombs, what the greeks and iranians did on their inner pylon was to probably drill two holes above the original mount to give clearance for the Sidewinder, you can mount one Aim-9 per pylon but you can go postal with the load below, by doing that if and if there is a selector to either fire Aim-9 or AGM-65 you can mount two slanted AGM-65 on the LAU-88 triple launcher and an Aim-9 above the empty LAU-88 rail

Luigi

• Like 1

I understand. I was thinking of the AGM-65 on the lower of the LAU-88 launcher as that "might" look a little more sensible with the clearance and the US F-4G often carried a single one on the LAU-88.

The AIM-9 was a just a thought though, really not sure I would do it as it is a stretch even for me who thinks an Exocet under a Royal Navy FG1 Phantom looks cool :) 

51266939805_6f6974dae8_k.jpg

• Like 1