SEAC Sptifire Vc Airfix 1/72

Spitfires were finally sent to India when it was realised that the poor early warning available meant that Hurricanes were being caught at lower levels by Oscars and being caught in turning fights at which the Oscar was supreme.  607 was the first unit to sent pilots across India to collect the Spitfires in Karachi, it and 615 being the first two squadrons to form completely on the type.  Note the late 1943 style SEAC roundels, missing the red centre but with enlarged blue rings.  The Spitfires entered combat during the 2nd Battle of the Arakan, their superior climb rate allowing them to reach a superior altitude before the Japanese raids arrived.  The Mk.Vs only had a short period before the first Mk.VIIIs arrived, but that's another story.

The two examples on the sheet are taken from photographs in Norman Franks' Spitfires over the Arakan, the best single account of the introduction.  Only the two photos of 607 Sq aircraft have been published to my knowledge.  I don't think that either was linked to particular events in the book,  but a thorough re-reading may find references to the pilots.  A somewhat briefer account is given in Shores Air War over Burma..  There have been a number of other works on the subject more recently, those I've read offer little new at the tactical/squadron level, although I have seen a fuller account of the establishment and trials of the radar defence network.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

It is always nice to see pictures of your collection. Your finish was spot on and you created an excellent SEAC Spitfire. 

Thank you very much.

Alain