A Finished Failure; my CM 170 Fouga Magister

Normally if something goes wrong with a model I give up. If a decal breaks, I'll try and buy new parts. But int this instance it just wasn't viable for me to do so right now...so I decided to finish it.

This is the first time I've done a paint scheme like this (tricolor) and I was really proud with how the wings turned out. In fact, before the decals I was really proud of the entire model. Sadly, however, the decals all broke...and my shaky inexperianced hands are awful for doing a straight line and I just ended up with a mess. The photo you'll see below has me filling in the gap with the same colour on Paint.net but I haven't edited anything else on the model bar bluring the background.

Ultimately I'm still happy with what I made, just a bit saddened by the results. 

As usual with any of mine more information and images can be found in the article here.

U86BCrY.png

Yk3GQAn.png

image.png?w=1024

wOn78cy.png

Edited by MsModeller
  • Like 12

Not to worry....decals can be a nightmare!

Great that you finished the build and learnt some things along the way

The tricolour looks great and an interesting subject

Cheers

• Like 1

I think that decal should be repairable, first fill in the missing bit with white to complete the circle (this is important because yellow pigments are quite translucent and painting direct onto the dark blue will look green) then you are going to have to try to get a close match with a yellow which won't be easy but worth trying.

Being critical of the end result is the way to improve and there is a lot to be pleased with on your model

• Like 1

Hi, still good result and a very striking scheme so a great addition to the collection!

I just recently had a problem with Israeli Magister myself. I doing it in demonstration scheme with white decal stripes. And those decals cracking all over the aircraft :( I laid off the model for about three months thinking how to restore it. Ended up just touching with white paint here and there and applying rest of the decals... Ultimately it does not look that bad :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

This is definitely the worst finish I've hard on any kit I've made since getting "back into it."

Just an FYI, in person  it's gloss. But the paint was not a gloss paint, only the red paint was. It's got gloss varnish after. 

I've been thinning with aqua color mix now, but at the time of making this cost meant I could not afford a new bottle and mine was tainted red. I did thin with water however.

I think my newer kit looks better - I've nearly finished it but it looks better anyway.

Microscale Liquid Decal film would of been my go-to as soon as that first decal broke. Usually my rule of thumb is, if one breaks, then they’re all heading that way. 

A healthy dose of tamiya tape would of perfected those white cheatlines. 

Also with the hairy stick route, I find Acrylic paint way to unpredictable to warrant using it on any exterior work. I tend to stick to enamel for exteriors, and acrylics for cockpits / intakes / exhausts / wheelbays or any other part of an aircraft where you need fast and easy progression.

Otherwise a nice clean, cracking build. Look forward to seeing more.