2nd editions*: 1:72 WW2 Airforce Base diorama

Kateenaboy

I agree with @Heather Kay that

6 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

It’s your model, after all, and you do what you want.

Two additional observations  are that if you intend modelling full depth hangers in most cases the span of the hanger is less than the depth: See:

https://www.abct.org.uk/airfield-buildings/hangar-types/

for example a T2 hanger was 121 feet wide and 240 feet long (37 x 73m) with an overall height of 12m and a clear door height of 7.6m

the other one was that you talk about a Mosquito and C47 pen - in both cases these are most likely just to be had standings rather than a structure.

• Thanks 1

Another point - no critics of your plan, just a note - on most Class A fields the T2s were well away from each other.  Often the other side of the field.  Only RAF pre war hangars were clustered like the Belfast Truss hangars at Duxford or the Type Cs at Coltishall.  The concrete hard standings in front usually didn’t appear until after the war with the arrival of jets.  Duxford was still a grass field at the end of the war. T2s tended to sit on a dispersal with a taxiway parallel to it

• Like 1

I'm intending on using GPM 1:72 hangars set for the main hangars which reminds me of the J Type hangar without the external doo supports. spacer.png

also just to mention with the feed back it allows for modification as the first layout was mainly a first thoughts I'm now contemplating how the plans could be modified to be more shaped like an actual base  whilst also containing most of the major elements

Edited by Kateenaboy
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 1:33 AM, Kateenaboy said:

I'm intending on using GPM 1:72 hangars set for the main hangars which reminds me of the J Type hangar without the external doo supports. spacer.png

also just to mention with the feed back it allows for modification as the first layout was mainly a first thoughts I'm now contemplating how the plans could be modified to be more shaped like an actual base  whilst also containing most of the major elements

You could always add offices to the sides like the real J type  . . .

On 6/23/2021 at 4:44 AM, Kateenaboy said:

I’m new to the forum. I have started a new undertaking and in which i’m attempting to construct a  1:72 scale ww2 RAF/USAAF airforce base.

I’m looking for inspiration and recommendations for the project. 

I was wondering about airforce base infrastructure as I’m looking to a way either make or purchase relating to:

1. Hangars

2. Aircraft control towers 

3. marshalling area’s

4. Munitions stores

5. Bomb stores/dump

6. Fuel stores/dump

7. medic centre/ fire station 

8. mess

9. watchtower/checkpoints/defences 

10. barracks

11. Railway depot

Thank you you for your help 

Ben

*Due to a previous wording and requests I have had to do a new version of my original post 

You'll probably find some useful things here: https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=246

so I have stated constructing a crane for railway siding the base model is a oo gauge dipole dockside crane I am using parts from E-100 panzer weapon carrier with v1 missile launcher to modify it. The rocket will be save for another component of the project. I shall post further images of the crane from the stages that I am up to in the next few days.

I'm currently contemplating changes to the original dispersal area's design with closer inspections of runway layouts of to help determine these changes

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyQhI7aoxUc58tvy_WYsj 

s-l300.jpg

Intriguing that you are starting this build with a item based on a prototype tank that was never completed and a heavy lift dockside crane.  

9 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Intriguing that you are starting this build with a item based on a prototype tank that was never completed and a heavy lift dockside crane.  

The crane will go with the railways siding and it will most likely depicted lifting either a loading wrecked aircraft on a train car or a unloading a new vehicle being delivered.

I have started construction on a few other models which I'm yet to photograph. most of which require extra detailing. I have started a model of a PBY-5"black cat" and two c47's with markings of captain winters' & luitenant Meehan's  aircraft with pre d-day marking so the aircraft does not have invasion stripes as the diorama I set prior to the invasion of normandy 

vp54_pby5a_coming-up-launching-ramp.gif 15932173458_a896377ffe_b.jpg 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 09/10/2021 at 21:56, Tigercat75 said:

How's it going ? 

It’s going well. I recently got plans for some buildings from Mancunian airman(Ian).  The building are from old airfields throughout the uk primarily the Lincolnshire area I’m currently making some cardboard mock ups of the plans I’ll be sure to upload some photos soon. Just trying to figure out the best materials to construct the buildings out of prior to construction of the actual buildings being used for the display  ...

Edited by Kateenaboy

On 03/08/2021 at 01:44, Paul821 said:

The idea behind using a heavy dockside crane is due to tonnage involved in lifting lets say the carcass of a plane e.g b17; or halftrack & placing it on a flat bed war wagon would be heavy so the availability of a such a crane may be necessary to move such an object.

Though give me your opinion on weather I should use the lower portion of the crane( the supports/rails) as I think it may looks good without it?

Most wagons capable of carrying  items as you describe would be under 25t capacity and in most cases would be cut up on site if for scrap. Anything larger, for repair would have been moved by road. In is unlikely that a general Airfield would have a fixed crane of this capacity as the use would be fairly rare. Don't forget any carried on a railway wagon has to be within gauge and a B17 body certainly would not.

I have seen a good model of the Airfix/Dapol crane made from the top with a fixed base - I cannot find a reference online. I seem to remember it had extended legs.

An excellent model showing a couple of cranes in use is this:

Overall I feel you would be better off with the Airfix Airfield Recovery Set.

Good to hear of progress with your project and look forward to updates.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So more recently I've been looking at different local stores here in OZ to get Plasticard and other materials suitable for making the buildings, I'm also thinking due to size/feasibility of the project of doing int in smaller sections. I've also been doing further research in regards to layouts, of bases in which I'm thinking of adopting a layout resembling @Mancunian airman Grimsby diorama... 

I've been looking at how I may be able to scale back some of my ambitions so my (19 year old)imagination doesn't run too wild, though still be able to capture the essence of my original dream  seek to incorporate references to my original concept via references to the aircraft I originally wanted tot use but would have blown everything out of proportion for instance the use of cockpits of aircraft in a miniature boneyard. another thing

I though it may have to occur that different sections of the project may need to be modular to account for space for example separating the bomb-store from the technical site, completing the aircraft hardstanding/marshalling area separately. Though construct these sections in a way that they could attach to the main project to form one cohesive piece.

In relation to railways I have found according to the RAF museum "The Royal Air Forces’ once operated extensive narrow and standard gauge railway systems, serving Maintenance Units such as RAF Stafford, bomb stores (Chilmark & Fauld)and airfields (Hendon airfield) in which they used 040 class diesel shunters T37302-01.jpeg

so the railway line will probably be incorporated into the the bomb store as seen here

post-21682-0-18859300-1523384897.jpg

As previously stated by @Heather Kay it is my project and it'll turn out, how it turns out. I would like to say thank you for the brilliant feedback and knowledge in relation to this and will continue to seek to properly get this project underway, as It has been a longways coming.

Regards,

Ben