Revell Uboats kits

Goji308

Over the last few weeks I’ve picked up a few 1:72 Uboats kits to start a small collection, the Revell VIIC/41 (kit# 05163) & the Revell Type IX C (U67/U154) (kit# 05166).
Today I was able to add another kit to my pile, the Revell 1:72 Uboat VIIC “Wolf Pack” kit (kit# 05015)  I just came across it a few days ago at a local Hobby shop sitting on the shelf.  (Happy Fathers Day)
Currently I am trying to decide which to build first.  It’s kind of between the IX & VIIC wolf-pack. Tonight I will go through the forums, I know there are some real nice builds here with lots of tips, experience, & advice to aid me as I embark on this venture.  If there is an easier one that would be the one I’d like to start building first to get warmed up. 

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 3

I haven’t got one of these but I have looked at all three in the past considering whether to buy.

In terms of ‘which is easier’ - I’d say that they are all pretty simple, low part count.  The hulls are simple with any complexity being in the superstructure.

The VIIC/41 and VIIC Wolf Pack are very similar, differing really in the superstructure and armament.  

If I’d have to pick one as most complex I’d say the IX, being a longer than the VII, the hull sides are in two parts that have to be joined together, the deck is a little more complex and there are more railings.

The big question, which is what put me off buying (which I regret thinking back to some of the fantastic deals I turned down), is whether you will be happy with an OOB build.  If not the price and availability of after-market may determine which to build first.

Cheers,

Nigel

There is no easy answer, it depends on what level you are going to build at.

1) OOB

2) OOB with Photo etch

3) with aftermarket and photoetch including opening out the flood holes.

4) super detailing

As there are wooden and brass decks, 3d printed extras, various photoetch, resin detail sets, figures, resin pressure hull and so on.

All the best Chris