Current BA blue - heads up

Forgot to post this a few weeks ago, but tried Xtracrylix RLM24 as a BA blue, not only was I pleased with the results but given Halfords Fiat Capri blue is the blue standard it’s almost a close match at least from my can. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to Current BA blue - heads up
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Revell 54 is nothing like the current BA Blue and I doubt if a mix of 51 and 54 is much closer. Revell are simply plugging their own products and Skodadriver's first law of airliner modelling "Kit painting instructions are always wrong" has stood me in good stead for 25 years. 

Far better to pop into your nearest Halfords branch and pick up a can of Fiat Capri Blue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Of course the other issue with BA blue is ambient light conditions. I've seen BA a/c in bright sunlight where the blue is incredibly vibrant, almost Royal Blue. Other times in overcast conditions it can appear as dull as ditchwater, almost Navy Blue.

If out of the can is not your preference, then I guess the answer is just to experiment with different options/mixes until you find one that looks right.

Capri blue looks close enough to me, although I definitely agree that ambient light conditions affect the appearance dramatically. Different varnishes change the look too, as the real aircraft could be fresh out of the paint shop or have flown 1,000’s of hours and been exposed to rain, sun, etc. for many years, dulling the finish and fading the colour…

If you need any more convincing about Fiat Capri Blue here is one of my own models from a couple of years ago.

The point made by @Airbusboy is very valid but it applies to most colours. I'm currently trying to match Air Baltic green and I've come up against exactly the same issue. The most important thing is that the person building the model is happy with the result.

What is the general advice for using Halfords automotive paints ?

Do you shoot them straight from the rattle can, or decant them and use an airbrush ?

If using an airbrush, do you thin the paint, if so what with (I take it they are acrylic based), and how about clean up?

I've seen several builds recommending Appliance White, and the Capri Blue looks a great match.

I have never been brave enough to use a rattle can, concerned about control of laying down the paint

24 minutes ago, Tea Taster said:

What is the general advice for using Halfords automotive paints ?

Do you shoot them straight from the rattle can, or decant them and use an airbrush ?

If using an airbrush, do you thin the paint, if so what with (I take it they are acrylic based), and how about clean up?

I've seen several builds recommending Appliance White, and the Capri Blue looks a great match.

I have never been brave enough to use a rattle can, concerned about control of laying down the paint

Many modellers get excellent results straight from the can but personally I prefer to decant most Halfords paint into my airbrush. The main exception is primer which works fine from the can. 

To decant take an empty paint jar, a piece of kitchen foil, a drinking straw and some sellotape. Put the foil over the top of the jar (remove the lid first!) and poke a hole in it big enough to take the straw. Tape the straw over the nozzle of the spray can, push it through the hole in the foil and squirt into the jar. Once you have decanted enough paint remove the foil and replace the lid on the jar but don't tighten it. Leave the paint for a couple of hours to let the gases boil off. Before using the paint give it a gentle shake and if any bubbles are still visible leave it for another half hour or so. There is no need to thin the paint for airbrushing and if you keep the jar tightly capped the paint will remain usable for up to 24 hours.

I use a Paasche VL which is a big, tough beast of an airbrush and I find a spray-through with an aerosol airbrush cleaner (Spraycraft or Badger) followed up with a thorough cleaning with cellulose thinner works well. I usually strip it down completely once a week or so. That is very much specific to my own airbrush and a finer one would probably need more detailed cleaning.

My strongest advice is to try any unfamiliar technique on a scrap model or a cheap kit knocked together for the purpose before you tackle your masterpiece. Find what works best for you. Just because I prefer to airbrush doesn't mean it's the best way for anyone else.

Finally check out Halfords Racking Grey as well as Appliance Gloss White and Fiat Capri Blue. Racking Grey makes an excellent Boeing Grey. It is usually shelved with the workshop paints rather than the car colours. 

Hope that's some help

Dave G

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Me again, just picked up some AK interactive 3rd gen acrylics and their Imperial Blue is very close to Halfords Fiat Capri Blue, and unlike with the previous RLM looks like it is mixed properly. Love to see if anyone else picks it up and tries it on a BA build. resized_7bab945d-d905-40ee-80e3-e05c71cd 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 10/7/2021 at 12:43 PM, Skodadriver said:

Many modellers get excellent results straight from the can but personally I prefer to decant most Halfords paint into my airbrush. The main exception is primer which works fine from the can. 

To decant take an empty paint jar, a piece of kitchen foil, a drinking straw and some sellotape. Put the foil over the top of the jar (remove the lid first!) and poke a hole in it big enough to take the straw. Tape the straw over the nozzle of the spray can, push it through the hole in the foil and squirt into the jar. Once you have decanted enough paint remove the foil and replace the lid on the jar but don't tighten it. Leave the paint for a couple of hours to let the gases boil off. Before using the paint give it a gentle shake and if any bubbles are still visible leave it for another half hour or so. There is no need to thin the paint for airbrushing and if you keep the jar tightly capped the paint will remain usable for up to 24 hours.

I use a Paasche VL which is a big, tough beast of an airbrush and I find a spray-through with an aerosol airbrush cleaner (Spraycraft or Badger) followed up with a thorough cleaning with cellulose thinner works well. I usually strip it down completely once a week or so. That is very much specific to my own airbrush and a finer one would probably need more detailed cleaning.

My strongest advice is to try any unfamiliar technique on a scrap model or a cheap kit knocked together for the purpose before you tackle your masterpiece. Find what works best for you. Just because I prefer to airbrush doesn't mean it's the best way for anyone else.

Finally check out Halfords Racking Grey as well as Appliance Gloss White and Fiat Capri Blue. Racking Grey makes an excellent Boeing Grey. It is usually shelved with the workshop paints rather than the car colours. 

Hope that's some help

Dave G

This should be a sticky . Excellent advice 

Hi guys,

To throw another brand into the mix, Creative Colors produce BA blues. I can't, however, verify the colours because I don't have them.

British Airways Blue - Creative Colors CC-PA045
British Airways Landor Blue - Creative Colors CC-PA044

These are "acrylic enamel paints (acrylics that can be diluted with a thinner but not with water)". I think that could mean they are lacquers?? 🤔

All the best!

Vinny