Zero

JohnIsCool

Hello, everyone! I've just joined the forum but I'm a long time painter and model builder. Here's a Zero I recently finished while trying a limited palette on a previously-painted surface.

What media do most of you work in? It seems like digital is quite popular but I've had a hard time making the transition from physical paint.

spacer.png

• Like 10

Hi John, welcome to the forum - and that's a pretty bold entrance, really dramatic painting! 

I haven't really done much artwork for a few years, but when I do (did!) it was mainly pencil drawings with occasional acrylic paintings. I keep saying I must dust off the pencils and pads - one day! :) Too old (and having worked in IT for most of my pre-retirement life) bored with computers, to learn digital! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Hi John, welcome to the forum - and that's a pretty bold entrance, really dramatic painting! 

I haven't really done much artwork for a few years, but when I do (did!) it was mainly pencil drawings with occasional acrylic paintings. I keep saying I must dust off the pencils and pads - one day! :) Too old (and having worked in IT for most of my pre-retirement life) bored with computers, to learn digital! 

Keith

Thank you for the welcome! I completely understand -- do you have a preference between pencils or paint? Or is it dependent on the subject matter?

• Like 1

I used to do far more pencil drawing than painting, maybe because I'm more comfortable using pencil and it was easier to pick up and put away whenever I felt like doing some drawing. I do like using acrylics, but wouldn't say I'm that good at using them. The subject doesn't really influence my choice tbh.

Really must get back to it soon (before it's too late!! :) )

Keith

edit - meant to ask John, what paint did you use for your terrific Zero painting

On 6/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, keefr22 said:

I used to do far more pencil drawing than painting, maybe because I'm more comfortable using pencil and it was easier to pick up and put away whenever I felt like doing some drawing. I do like using acrylics, but wouldn't say I'm that good at using them. The subject doesn't really influence my choice tbh.

Really must get back to it soon (before it's too late!! :) )

Keith

edit - meant to ask John, what paint did you use for your terrific Zero painting

Acrylics are such a great medium with tons of range and effects!

I mostly use gouache -- a type of opaque watercolor. I knew someone who used oils but the safety aspect always discouraged me from using the more toxic materials.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a really fine piece of work. I like the dramatic light and the zeke hanging there, the second before impact, really adds tension to the scene. I would mind much hanging that on my living room wall..

• Thanks 1