Lancaster aircraft code letter

593jones

Having recently bought the HK Models 1/48 Lancaster I am looking to build a model of an aircraft in which my father's cousin, Sgt P.Whitcombe, flew whilst serving with 106 Squadron in 1942.  I have the download of the ORB from the National Archives, but this only gives the aircraft serial.  The aircraft in which he flew were: R5638, R5680, R5681, R5684, R5900.  From 'Avro Lancaster - The Definitive Record' by Harry Holmes I have found the code for two of these, R5680-T and R5900 -X, but ideally, I would like to model R5681 as this was the aircraft in which Whitcombe's crew flew most frequently.  I've looked through my copies of Lancaster At War and I've tried using Google with Lancaster and the serial but without success, so I'm at a bit of a dead end now.  Any suggestion as to where else I might try would be very much welcomed.

Have a look here:

106 Sqn Lancs

According to a paragraph on this 106 Sqn website, R5681 was ZN-O  

See the section on Squadron Leader John Wooldridge

Quote:  "He had a difficult relationship with his commanding officer, Wing Commander Guy Gibson, who nevertheless commended Wooldridge for his many attributes as a pilot and leader in his book “Enemy Coast Ahead”. It’s also fair to record that Gibson didn’t appreciate Wooldridge’s tendency to arrange things to his favour – not least of which was the “theft” of Gibson’s favourite Lancaster R5681 ZN-O on a mission in July 1942!" 

Been looking at all things Lancaster recently 🙂 

• Like 1

I didn't find the answer in my references but did find a photo of one from the same batch with the ventral turret so worth checking if that should be fitted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troffa said:

Have a look here:

106 Sqn Lancs

According to a paragraph on this 106 Sqn website, R5681 was ZN-O  

See the section on Squadron Leader John Wooldridge

Quote:  "He had a difficult relationship with his commanding officer, Wing Commander Guy Gibson, who nevertheless commended Wooldridge for his many attributes as a pilot and leader in his book “Enemy Coast Ahead”. It’s also fair to record that Gibson didn’t appreciate Wooldridge’s tendency to arrange things to his favour – not least of which was the “theft” of Gibson’s favourite Lancaster R5681 ZN-O on a mission in July 1942!" 

Been looking at all things Lancaster recently 🙂 

Wow, that's brilliant, just the information I needed, thanks very much!  So, R5681 was Gibson's favourite aircraft, well, he must not have minded lending it out occasionally, it was Sgt Whitcombe's crews thirteenth operation in that aircraft.  I wonder if Gibson was annoyed when they failed to return?  The Welsh dragon and motto would be an interesting detail, it's a shame the build thread wasn't complete, I could have copied it!  Digressing slightly, Wooldridge must have been an interesting character, I had come across him in 'Enemy Coast Ahead', and also as the man who wrote 'Appointment In London'  which is, in my opinion, a sadly neglected film about Bomber Command.  The central character is supposed to be based on Guy Gibson.

3 hours ago, rossm said:

I didn't find the answer in my references but did find a photo of one from the same batch with the ventral turret so worth checking if that should be fitted.

That's interesting, I didn't know that the ventral turret had been fitted to production aircraft, so something else to look into.  Thanks!