406 Sqn. Beaufighter Nf.II, Airfix and Alleycat marriage.***FINISHED 03/10/2021***

16 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Wowza. Never thought I’d be calling a Beaufighter “sleek”!

Regards,

Adrian

She does looks good in Black doesn't she, Ooh Matron!

Hopefully be ready ready tomorrow with all her bits on.

Davey.

• Haha 1

• DaveyGair changed the title to 406 Sqn. Beaufighter Nf.II, Airfix and Alleycat marriage.***FINISHED 03/10/2021***

Here we are all finished, well, I'm calling her done!

Nearly ended up in the bin as the 'Gair Fumbling Curse' struck and after crashing to the floor the port wing detached along with a few bits and pieces 🥵, but I took a deep breath and carried on. I just glued the wing back on but haven't made any attempt to fill the join, I touched in the paint.

I got the aerials (a little on the thick side) from one of the MPM/Hasegawa boxings I have, which incidentally have all the parts to do from a Mk.1 to Mk.21. I decided not to risk any further fumbling and didn't do the swept-back aerials that protrude on the upper and lower starboard wing!

I did a little weathering, not OTT but I know the paint wore very quickly on these.

The lighting was poor today so I fixed it on the computer which is why the colours of the markings may seem a bit bright!

Thanks for the comments and interest in this, see you in another GB maybe? Got to get on with my 'High Wing' and French Fancy' entries 🙄.

Davey.

DSC_0004 DSC_0005

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

This really did come up well. The conversion is faultless. 

How did you do the black? Is it a mixed colour?

Hi Greg, thanks for your kind comments. 

The Black is the undercoat I used in the previous photos, I just vary the finish by different depths of Matt Varnish coats and dry-brushing a Light Grey colour in different, well used areas and behind the engines. I also used a MiG Ammo 'Dust colour in the panel lines, being careful to remove excess on the surfaces as it dries quickly! Hope this helps, it's absolutely not very scientific!

Davey.

• Thanks 1