Savoia-Marchetti S.55 - Dora Wings - 1/72

Rod The Fixer

Hi all,
for this GB I'll building the SM.55 flown by the italian aviator Francesco de Pinedo (February 16, 1890 – September 2, 1933).
In 1927, with Carlo Del Prete and the engineer Vitale Zacchetti, De Pinedo flew on this Savoia-Marchetti S.55, called "Santa Maria", from Elmas (Sardinia, Italy) to the Cape Verde Islands, to Buenos Aires and finally reached Arizona.

1280px-S.55_Santa_Maria_a_New_Orleans.jp
Source:  Wikimedia Commons
De Pinedo - S.55 Santa Maria in New Orleans

If you are interested to deepen the topic, I suggest you to link to this page

51264132858_24fd46df1e_b.jpg
by Rodolfo Masti, on Flickr

As Usual a quick look inside the box:

51264955725_d23704dd61_b.jpg

51263182642_c36680a327_b.jpg

51263182567_9dfc19e91f_b.jpg

51263182502_ac8b8c709d_b.jpg

• Like 9

The painting instructions look like fun, pale cream and three shades of white!

Interesting project, look forward to watching it come together.

AW

Hi Rodolfo

This looks interesting. I thought I had seen one built fairly recently so just checked and JWM built the Delta version of the S.55X 18 months ago in the "flying boats and seaplanes"GB. From what he said I presume this is one of the earlier wooden hulled versions?

Pete

15 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Rodolfo

This looks interesting. I thought I had seen one built fairly recently so just checked and JWM built the Delta version of the S.55X 18 months ago in the "flying boats and seaplanes"GB. From what he said I presume this is one of the earlier wooden hulled versions?

Pete

Hi Pete,

yes,it is the S.55 first version.

Below the S.55 variant list:

• S.55                                     Prototypes and original production model delivered from 1927 to 1930, 90 built, including two prototypes.
  • S.55C                                    Civil variant delivered from 1925 to 1926, eight built.
  • S.55P                                    Improved civil variant with enlarged hull for 10 passengers and enclosed cockpits delivered from 1928 to 1932, 23 built.
  • S.55A                                    Military variant delivered with 418 kW (560 hp) Fiat A.22R engines, 16 built.
  • S.55M                                   Variant with some wood structures replaced by metal, seven built by Piaggio in 1930.
  • S.55 Scafo Allargato               Widened and deepened hull and enclosed cockpits, 16 built by Savoia-Marchetti and 16 built by CANT.
  • S.55 Scafo Allargatissimo        Variant with greatly enlarged hull, 20 built by Savoia-Marchetti, 16 built by Macchi and six built by CANT.
  • S.55X                                     Variant fitted with Isotta Fraschini Asso 750 engines for North Atlantic formation flights, later armed and used as a reconnaissance-bomber. 25 built.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great. The engines are crazy. Surely the rear engine exhausts would point towards the propeller, ie into the air stream rather than against?

I have spent years looking for brass or PE strut paterial which you have for the center fin. I even looked in model shops in Rome when visiting the absolutely superb Italian Air Force Museum.  This must have been in the kit?

Looking forward to see the final shots in the gallery!

Colin