Looking for an Airbrush + Compressor, need help.

BeatTheBest

Hey people, 

I have a question, Probably many people have asked before.
Im deciding on a suitable airbrush.

Im now using some secondhand compressor(FOME, some italian brand, nothing to google about).
Without any type of presure measurement, (no clue), with an Hansa 281, which is to my supprise an fixed dual action...(secondhand)

it was a cheap set, so nothing to worry about. it learned me a few things along the way.

my problem: Compressor without tank, with an AB without dual action, is asking for trouble.

Im trying to workaround the issue, with the compressor losing pressure before pumping air, it starts to feel like a chore instead of enjoyment.

I want an allround arbrush, i dont specificly need fine details, but it would be nice if the airbrush after simple modifications is able to do so. 
I dont mind having a second airbrush, instead of one. if the price/quality of the brushes are good enough to justify the extra cost.

im torn about the 

Itawa Eclipse HP-CS and the H&S Infinity CR Plus 2 in 1.

the reason for the 2 in 1 is
    easier & toolless cleaning, 
    double needles for both broader and detailed work, 
    Both a small and big cup
    Cheaper and more available replacement parts.
    Con: less durable?
    Con: less atomisation of paint?

Con: Expensive
the Hp-CS because
    itawa seems to be the most trusted brand, 
    and the HP-CS being the most trusted brush out of all.
    Compression fit nossle, not easy to be damaged.

Can be combined with a secondairy brush for detailed work if needed
    Con: expensive replacement parts
    Con: only 2 needles sizes, 0,35 and 0,5, comes with 1.

As far as i can see there are Itawa fanboys, and there are H&S fanboys, for both of these are negatives aswell.
i have no experience with either of these brands, and am relatively new to airbrushing.
i have no bias to either of these brands. I just want an solution that works for me. 

I have no shops close by to test things, so i am solely deciding based on the internet and research.

im not focussed on either of these brushes, but it seems to be a sweetspot somehow.

As for the compressor: im thinking about the AS 189 A.
enough Measurable pressure, preasure can be adjusted and comes with a tank.

should bring the price point around 370.

Hi BTB,

I'll share my experience with you, maybe it'll help:

Firstly, 2in1 option sounds good, but it's a chore in real life. It's much easier to have one aibrush for each specific purpose. Right now, I have a trusty Iwata HP-CS as my workhorse, and it is used for about 90% of work. Couple of years ago, I invested in some quick connect fittings, and I would never go back, these things are the best. Also I have a cheap chinese brush for metalics, and GSI Ps-770 for tight work. I've also kept my old Paasche VL which now I use exclusively for heavy clear coats.

Now, in actuality, you need only one brush and Iwata will suit you fine, untill you get itching for something for those "special jobs", then you can move to more specialized brushes. About the H&S; I was in the same dilemma when I was moving up from my paasche, but in the end I went with Iwata because of easier cleaning. But if that is not an issue for you, I think both of these brushes will suit you fine. I would definitely recommend the quick connects though, they really are a life saver :) Also, have you looked at GSI brushes? They offer same quality as Iwata, but at a lower price point.

As for the compressor, I would always recommend the membrane type, and not the piston type, as the AS 189 is. Yes, they are more expensive, but are more durable as well. I had one similar to 189, but without the tank, that lasted about a year and a half. Then I got a 189, that one developed a hole in the tank (rust on the inside, and it's tank has really thin sides). I fixed that, and it still works, but now it's just a backup, as I got smarter and got myself a membrane type, and that one is still going strong.

I happen to own both airbrushes that you mention. The Infinity is a much nicer airbrush and very good at fine work. The Eclipse is more of a 'daily driver' and I've found it is better at spraying water based acrylics like Vallejo, Lifecolor etc. than the Infinity.

If you can find a GSI-Creos PS-289 (0.3 mm needle) I'd get that, it's a lot like the Eclipse but better and cheaper. If you can find an Infinity for a comparable price to the other two, then do it - but it's kind of a luxury item for general use.

2 hours ago, daneel said:

Hi BTB,

Firstly, 2in1 option sounds good, but it's a chore in real life. It's much easier to have one aibrush for each specific purpose. Right now, I have a trusty Iwata HP-CS as my workhorse, and it is used for about 90% of work. Couple of years ago, I invested in some quick connect fittings, and I would never go back, these things are the best. Also I have a cheap chinese brush for metalics, and GSI Ps-770 for tight work. I've also kept my old Paasche VL which now I use exclusively for heavy clear coats.

Now, in actuality, you need only one brush and Iwata will suit you fine, untill you get itching for something for those "special jobs", then you can move to more specialized brushes. About the H&S; I was in the same dilemma when I was moving up from my paasche, but in the end I went with Iwata because of easier cleaning. But if that is not an issue for you, I think both of these brushes will suit you fine. I would definitely recommend the quick connects though, they really are a life saver :) Also, have you looked at GSI brushes? They offer same quality as Iwata, but at a lower price point.

As for the compressor, I would always recommend the membrane type, and not the piston type, as the AS 189 is. Yes, they are more expensive, but are more durable as well. I had one similar to 189, but without the tank, that lasted about a year and a half. Then I got a 189, that one developed a hole in the tank (rust on the inside, and it's tank has really thin sides). I fixed that, and it still works, but now it's just a backup, as I got smarter and got myself a membrane type, and that one is still going strong.

Thanks for the response, what kind of Compressor would you aim for? 
im not as much bound by the budget, i can wait a month longer and have more available budget, im more bound by the size/profile. It needs to be small, and silent for indoors operation.

im happy with the tankless compressor i have now, while missing olmost every reasonal component. (just cause its 20/20/20 cm in size, and doesnt make a sound)

12 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I happen to own both airbrushes that you mention. The Infinity is a much nicer airbrush and very good at fine work. The Eclipse is more of a 'daily driver' and I've found it is better at spraying water based acrylics like Vallejo, Lifecolor etc. than the Infinity.

If you can find a GSI-Creos PS-289 (0.3 mm needle) I'd get that, it's a lot like the Eclipse but better and cheaper. If you can find an Infinity for a comparable price to the other two, then do it - but it's kind of a luxury item for general use.

It seems i could get the bursh, but it's not in stock. I'm how ever mostly working with acrylic based paints.
The Infinity is in price a step up against the other brushes.

HP-CS = 175

CR Plus 2 in 1  = 250

Thats why im doubting, i think the HP-CS is good enough and with another 50-70 i could get a second brush, for detailed work instead of 1 brush.

17 hours ago, daneel said:

Hi BTB,

Whats the difference between a Piston Compressor and membrane compressor, it seems they both deliver the same performance under the same Wattage, and the same Decibels.

but the membrane is a 100€ more expensive.

im looking at 4 compressors:

1. AS 189A @ 120€

2. TC108 Special @235€

3. TC610H @ 245€

4. Sil-Air 20A @ 360€

The TC108 says its a 43DB compressor, where as the TC610H is a 55DB. Both are membrane compressors.

All 3 can deliver up to 4 Bars (60 PSI) and have a waterfilter / manometer / pressure setting.

The 610H has a secondaire 1/8 inch connection, making using a second airbrush easier.

If i go with the TC610H i will get the Iwata HP-CS, 

- if i go with either of the other compressors i will get the infinity 2 in 1.

- I like the design, easy cleaning and the 2 needle sets. I cant imagine not enjoying this brush at all.

But the question Remains, what compressor should i get and why?

Edited by BeatTheBest

Hi,

I’m afraid I don’t know pros and cons of a membrane compressor versus a piston one but if the TC610H, you mention is the compressor made by Sparmax, then I’m pretty sure it’s a piston compressor, not a membrane one.  For what it’s worth, I have a TC610H Plus compressor (different case I think) and an H&S Evolution Silverline 2 in 1 airbrush and as a newbie airbrusher, I’m very happy with both. 

Hope this is of some help,

Craig. 

7 hours ago, BeatTheBest said:

Whats the difference between a Piston Compressor and membrane compressor, it seems they both deliver the same performance under the same Wattage, and the same Decibels.

but the membrane is a 100€ more expensive.

im looking at 4 compressors:

1. AS 189A @ 120€

2. TC108 Special @235€

3. TC610H @ 245€

4. Sil-Air 20A @ 360€

The TC108 says its a 43DB compressor, where as the TC610H is a 55DB. Both are membrane compressors.

All 3 can deliver up to 4 Bars (60 PSI) and have a waterfilter / manometer / pressure setting.

The 610H has a secondaire 1/8 inch connection, making using a second airbrush easier.

If i go with the TC610H i will get the Iwata HP-CS, 

- if i go with either of the other compressors i will get the infinity 2 in 1.

- I like the design, easy cleaning and the 2 needle sets. I cant imagine not enjoying this brush at all.

But the question Remains, what compressor should i get and why?

The difference is that a membrane compressor is longer lasting. Now, depending on the quality of manufacture, piston compressors can also be longlasting, but:

a) they will still last less than membrane types

b) such high quality piston compressor will approach the price of membrane compressor

So it's basically "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap stuff" type of question. If you want to buy one compressor in your lifetime, buy the membrane type. If you plan to buy several, buy the piston type.

If I were you, I would go with this:

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Werther-Sil-Air-15D-Compressor-4L-Receiver-Black.html

4 hours ago, daneel said:

The difference is that a membrane compressor is longer lasting. Now, depending on the quality of manufacture, piston compressors can also be longlasting, but:

a) they will still last less than membrane types

b) such high quality piston compressor will approach the price of membrane compressor

So it's basically "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap stuff" type of question. If you want to buy one compressor in your lifetime, buy the membrane type. If you plan to buy several, buy the piston type.

If I were you, I would go with this:

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Werther-Sil-Air-15D-Compressor-4L-Receiver-Black.html

The 15D is not buyable here in NL. 

i was eyeing the 20A variant, which is a smaller, louder design.

please, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying go and get exactly the 15D and nothing else. I was trying to say that is the minumum under which I wouldn't go. That is; membrane compressor, air tank of at least 4l or higher, with a water trap and a regulator, and all neatly packaged in a housing equipped with a carry handle. Membrane compressors are usually not very loud, so I wouldn't worry about that. That 20A looks pretty good, although, I would recommend something with a larger air tank, if you can get it.

On 24/06/2021 at 22:07, daneel said:

please, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying go and get exactly the 15D and nothing else. I was trying to say that is the minumum under which I wouldn't go. That is; membrane compressor, air tank of at least 4l or higher, with a water trap and a regulator, and all neatly packaged in a housing equipped with a carry handle. Membrane compressors are usually not very loud, so I wouldn't worry about that. That 20A looks pretty good, although, I would recommend something with a larger air tank, if you can get it.

Thanks for the response, 

i cannot house a 4,5liter tank compressor very easily. Im short on space, so small, silent and good airflow is what im after. 
I eventually bought the 20A, which is an oil silent compressor. Not to big, 1,5liters.