RCAF Harvard IV

Paul J

Hello. I signed up to this GB but haven't started yet so with time ticking away I thought I had better get a wiggle on!!   My choice is this original issue by Heller bought very cheaply a couple years back. As for markings it will have, those shown, by Leading Edge. Also a vac form replacement canopy by Aeroclub which I have already prepped. It needs this particular type as the side panels lack the centre frame but still has the rear most curved part and fortunately my remaining Aeroclub part is right for it.

hCP7DJ.jpg

dv22R0.jpg

3CUAXr.jpg

The kit canopy part is to the left and Aeroclub on right.

qgosyK.jpg

Work in the cockpit in progress...
wk7aDc.jpg

... wings.....
xRbO8k.jpg

... and some extra interior detailing. Not strictly accurate but I based this stage on the Academy parts. It looks better and will give it that 'busy' look.
1B3tPI.jpg

• Like 2

A few more progress pics of work done on it today.  

mUTQmR.jpg

wgfRsB.jpg

Fuselage buttoned up.
Q6Zt9Z.jpg

Motor unit.
zrHBvj.jpg

Exhaust ring with the opening end opened up... only for it to be hidden when I fit the long exhaust from a spare leftover an old Airfix kit
A3XV2v.jpg

Canopy and the modified rear deck. The curved pencil lie in approximate place as a guide.
HffDEQ.jpg

fDfM2a.jpg

Wings on.

Found myself progressing quite quickly with this build. Maybe I need not have panicked to get it done.

• Like 2

Update :

IdhBdQ.jpg

With the rear of the cockpit opening done , now ready for the new cover to be fitted.

Pixojq.jpg

All primed for the top coat to come....

BnyFXO.jpg

2XLedH.jpg

..... as shown here.  Notice I have added the long exhaust found in my spares box from an Airfix Harvard. I had to cut back the kit exhaust, after carefully opening it up up, so that the long one could fit flush.
78LS7w.jpg

T5r6dF.jpg

Blue tips and cowling painted  and anti dazzle applied.
swnSvC.jpg

Onkqgb.jpg

N3Odmu.jpg

Now the fun part. Creating the framing. I used black decal striping to start with so that the final yellow won't show in the inside. I'll follow this with yellow striping and that should be about it for this stage.   As can be seen there is more to do before final decals etc  leading up to the finish. Hopefully before the deadline!!

• Like 1

Final pics of WIP.

Basically this sequence of pics shows how I tackled the clear canopy by using decal stripes for the framing. I did this in stages allowing the decal to set, sealing it with Klear then carried on using this same process until complete.   Some of the LEM decals are going on too.

wUeT7k.jpg

yEQ69d.jpg

BitncZ.jpg

XKQ0EY.jpg

sqJMPt.jpg

• Like 1

Final bit of work that I nearly forgot was the line from front cockpit to the exhaust fitted to the 'Goldilocks' team aircraft for smoke dispensing
0rtl6J.jpg

5qQKMd.jpg

cBcBTS.jpg

I'm calling this now done More pics of finished build in gallery.

• Like 1