Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 cooling flaps

Max89

@max89:  Do I interpret your earlier post that you are building a 3D model (he said, drooling over the concept of putting his son's 4k SLA resin printer to better use than cloning Warhammer figures...) 

Mike 😎

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The clustering of the exhausts and cooling air exits is part of the method of combining a wide radial engine with a slender fuselage without introducing large base drag immediately behind the engine sides.  This is credited to Kurt Tank with the Fw.190, and led to the abandoning of Bristol's integrated forward exhaust ring and considerable belays in the production of the Centaurus.  The previous system of variable cowling gills, independent of the interface with the fuselage, caused considerably more drag when open.

basically a blown diffuser (à la Ross Brawn).......nothing is really new is it?

Well, it's all understanding flows according to Bernoulli at base, but a very different treatment.   F1 are looking for low pressures creating a force at right angles to the flow, sucking the car down.  Like using a venturi tube to create a vacuum to operate instruments.  Clustering the exits at the side of the engine/fuselage interface is about filling an area of low pressure (where the engine is wider than the fuselage) to stop/reduce drag against the direction of travel.   The actual flow past the engine is another involved matter, which doesn't involve directly drag but does affect cooling.  Similarly what is called the Meredith effect in Spitfire/Me.109/Mustang radiators - and more - involving convergent/divergent ducts and here boosting the energy of the exit flows.  All use of the same principles but in different manners for different purposes.   There's a lot more aerodynamics going on inside the outer shape than is often recognised.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Well, it's all understanding flows according to Bernoulli at base, but a very different treatment.   F1 are looking for low pressures creating a force at right angles to the flow, sucking the car down.  Like using a venturi tube to create a vacuum to operate instruments.  Clustering the exits at the side of the engine/fuselage interface is about filling an area of low pressure (where the engine is wider than the fuselage) to stop/reduce drag against the direction of travel.   The actual flow past the engine is another involved matter, which doesn't involve directly drag but does affect cooling.  Similarly what is called the Meredith effect in Spitfire/Me.109/Mustang radiators - and more - involving convergent/divergent ducts and here boosting the energy of the exit flows.  All use of the same principles but in different manners for different purposes.   There's a lot more aerodynamics going on inside the outer shape than is often recognised.

Wait...... are you telling me that they didn't just design it to look cool? :boom:

21 hours ago, Johnson said:

AFAIK the lamps under the wings were for recognition and didn’t move.

Are you sure about this?

I found a drawing of the FB.11 where the lamp under the right wing is labelled as a "retractable landing lamp". I couldn't find this drawing with a larger font so it is a little difficult to read, but I'm fairly certain that this is what it says.

If it actually was retractable on either one or both wings, then I wonder if it would have dropped/retracted automatically with the landing gear, or whether it was controlled separately.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There's a lot more aerodynamics going on inside the outer shape than is often recognised.

You can say that again! Aerodynamics just gets mroe confusing the more you know 😂 great explanation though :)

1 hour ago, Max89 said:

Are you sure about this?

I found a drawing of the FB.11 where the lamp under the right wing is labelled as a "retractable landing lamp". I couldn't find this drawing with a larger font so it is a little difficult to read, but I'm fairly certain that this is what it says.

If it actually was retractable on either one or both wings, then I wonder if it would have dropped/retracted automatically with the landing gear, or whether it was controlled separately.

spacer.png

Under the starboard wing is the downward ID lamp, consisting of a red and green lamp http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Hawker_Sea_Fury_Walkaround_6-43_Kon_Marine_Netherlands_2015/content/Hawker_Sea_Fury_Walkaround_6-43_Kon_Marine_Netherlands_2015_9_GraemeMolineux_large.html

Under the port wing is another lamp that appears to be red only http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Hawker_Sea_Fury_Walkaround_6-43_Kon_Marine_Netherlands_2015/content/Hawker_Sea_Fury_Walkaround_6-43_Kon_Marine_Netherlands_2015_9_GraemeMolineux_large.html

7 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Some very good pictures there, thanks.

So both lamps look like they were meant for ID only... which means they probably weren't retractable. I wonder why the drawing I referenced in my previous post labels that as a retractable landing lamp. Strange.

2 hours ago, Max89 said:

Are you sure about this?

No.

Maybe if you ask in the BM 'Ask all your Sea Fury questions herethread, @NAVY870, who has access to the real thing and knows a lot about the plane, might be able to help.