Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 cooling flaps

Max89

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know which of the areas boxed in red are movable surfaces on the Hawker Sea Fury FB.11? I know that there's a movable flap just aft of #3. I don't think the rest are movable or actuated, but I thought I'd confirm with some of the experts on here before jumping to any conclusion.

Thoughts?

spacer.png

IIRC, none of the intakes have a moveable surface in them; the one labeled #3 is the oil cooler, and it has a moveable flap at the rear to regulate the airflow through the cooler; IIRC, the two smaller intakes feed the carburetor. @Chris Thomas would know for sure.

Mike

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Max89 said:

Any recommendations on what kit I should go with if I want to model a Sea Fury FB 11?

Depends on the scale...

1/48 - Airfix.

1/72 - Trumpeter

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Johnson said:

1/72 - Trumpeter

...and, if you can find one, and can afford it, the Akii Sea Fury is the class of the field in 1/72! I wish I had bought one when they were still available.

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

...and, if you can find one, and can afford it

Hannants, here in the UK, have one, but as Mike says, not cheap! And as I recall, the canopy has a mold line down the middle! Not such a problem these days with micromesh polishing sheets.

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

the Akii Sea Fury is the class of the field in 1/72! I wish I had bought one when they were still available.

Absolutely. The Aki resin Sea Fury is was awesome. And so was the price!

Edited by Johnson
living in the present, need a time machine

I got an Aki Sea Fury when I was in Tokyo in 2012. It was a bit exy even then (about AUS$100), and I vacillated, but ended up grabbing it. Now I'm glad I did! However many superlatives anyone may use about it, it's much, much better!

Is one kit recommended over the other for a beginner such as myself?

I've been modelling aircraft in 3D for ages, but this is going to be my first time doing the real thing.

35 minutes ago, Max89 said:

Have you thought about what scale you might prefer?

32 minutes ago, Max89 said:

I've been modelling aircraft in 3D for ages, but this is going to be my first time doing the real thing.

For a beginner, do the Trumpeter kit.

For an experienced modeller, there is also the old HPM kit. The HPM kits has always been recognized for their accurate outline, but the small parts were crude. Perhaps a kitbash with a Trumpeter would do the trick?

Don't forget to show us the result in the RFI section 😉

HTH Finn

3 minutes ago, Max89 said:

Yes, perhaps I will go with the 1/72.

As Finn says, try the Trumpeter kit. You could show your build in the Work In Progress forum;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/52-work-in-progress-aircraft/

and then you can ask for, and get advice, as you build it. Have a look at some of the other WIP builds to see what other modellers do.

I'll be posting quite a lot in the WIP section as well! :)

Also, the Trumpeter kit is 1:48 in scale, so that would make the actual model around 8.6 inches long when complete, is that correct?

43 minutes ago, Max89 said:

I'll be posting quite a lot in the WIP section as well! :)

Also, the Trumpeter kit is 1:48 in scale, so that would make the actual model around 8.6 inches long when complete, is that correct?

It's in both 1/48 and 1/72, so take your pick.

Generally, you'll get an easier build in larger scales (not many fiddly small parts), but the smaller scale will better hide minor mistakes. For me, however, the scale is limited by my display cabinet, it'll never hold a 1/48 model.

/Finn

On 6/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, Johnson said:

Depends on the scale...

1/48 - Airfix.

1/72 - Trumpeter

Though the Trumpeter 1/72 kit will benefit considerably from an Aeroclub prop.  Which nowadays may be more difficult to find than the kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Though the Trumpeter 1/72 kit will benefit considerably from an Aeroclub prop.  Which nowadays may be more difficult to find than the kit.

You're right Seahawk, I'd forgotten about the Trumpeter's rather undernourished prop blades. I bought the Pavla prop set for my kit (which is still 'in the stash'). They look OK though I haven't seen the Aeroclub prop, so cannot compare. The old Frog Sea Fury prop was good (the original separate 5 blades, not the later one piece part) but I certainly wouldn't recommend the Frog kit.

I also see Pavla do a nice looking resin cockpit upgrade set  for the 1/72 Trumpeter Sea Fury, though it might be a bit much for a beginner, and probably unnecessary considering the dark cockpit with it's limited view inside.

20 hours ago, Johnson said:

I also see Pavla do a nice looking resin cockpit upgrade set  for the 1/72 Trumpeter Sea Fury, though it might be a bit much for a beginner, and probably unnecessary considering the dark cockpit with it's limited view inside.

Agree: Trumpeter don't do a bad job and, with so little discernible, I wasn't planning on adding more than seat belts.

Then Trumpeter 1/72 it is! I just ordered the kit today, so the next stop is my local hobby shop to pick up the rest of the materials. I suppose I'll start a WIP thread once I get the kit where I'll have the opportunity to ask more detailed questions regarding paints, materials, techniques, et cetera.

As a side note, I did have one more question concerning "cooling flaps". Is the section just behind the engine (circled in green below) movable/actuated similar to some other piston engine aircraft?

spacer.png

Edited by Max89

1 hour ago, Max89 said:

Then Trumpeter 1/72 it is! I just ordered the kit today, so the next stop is my local hobby shop to pick up the rest of the materials. I suppose I'll start a WIP thread once I get the kit where I'll have the opportunity to ask more detailed questions regarding paints, materials, techniques, et cetera.

As a side note, I did have one more question concerning "cooling flaps". Is the section just behind the engine (circled in green below) movable/actuated similar to some other piston engine aircraft?

spacer.png

No, it is the area behind the bare metal in your pic, only that panel(same height as exhaust panel) slides forward (behind the exhaust panel)

Tbh, I'd get the 1/48 Airfix, such a nice kit!

Edited by Bozothenutter

I already ordered the 1/72 Trumpeter, so perhaps I'll try a 1/48 for a different aircraft next time. :)

By the way, does anyone know if the landing lamps underneath the Sea Fury's wings (highlighted in green below) would automatically drop down when the landing gear was down? Or were the lamps controlled separately from the landing gear?

spacer.png

The clustering of the exhausts and cooling air exits is part of the method of combining a wide radial engine with a slender fuselage without introducing large base drag immediately behind the engine sides.  This is credited to Kurt Tank with the Fw.190, and led to the abandoning of Bristol's integrated forward exhaust ring and considerable belays in the production of the Centaurus.  The previous system of variable cowling gills, independent of the interface with the fuselage, caused considerably more drag when open.