Spang Viper

Last year I picked up a group builds worth of F-16s on ebay.  I first got an ESCI Viper just to get the ground crew set with it.  Then a mixed bag of 2 more ESCI and one Monogram kit followed, so on with build.  The first three became Dutch, Belgian and Norwegian Vipers earlier this year.   Here with my previous Dutch F-16 and Academy Bentwaters Aggressor.  But the fourth stayed in the box.

rMpU3D1.jpg

eM9VEYh.jpg

My plan for the last one was to build a Weasel.  Then I found that the decals I have are for a Spangdahlem F-16C, not the later Wild Weasel.  I have a Spang F-4G Weasel to build in Euro One camo so the F-16 will sit nicely with her.

So the plan is to convert the ESCI A model to a C, rescribe the panels and add the shark mouth decals.  To my mind the shape is pretty good.  So the aim is something like this

16352840380_f42fc3a9d0_b.jpg

uGfqPfZ.jpg

When I built the others I tidied up the cockpit so this is what is in the box

NcsSu8C.jpg

VL21eR1.jpg

The rear stabilisers are coming off to be replaced by the scratch built Everdrenn sheets ones.  They can then be angled upwards rather than the moulded on early A model ones.  The tanks are from an Academy kit but I think I have ESCI ones too.

k8dG3L5.jpg

And now toying with the idea of cutting off the slats.  Flaps are already separate.  And maybe the airbrakes too

9w9JtmV.jpg

So let’s see what this one turns out like.  Thanks for looking in

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

I feel sure that front wing slat could come away and be positioned pointing slightly down like this

hqdefault.jpg

And I am sure those airbrakes could come off & with a scratch plate inside it would loo’ the part.  I have seen pe parts to do it but I would like to have a go at building them

8683732280_f015da5d34_b.jpg

So angled horizontal stabilisers, angled slat & flaps and open canopy.  Anything else for a flight line jet?  Don’t really want to do open panels or radar dome

Some progress on the Viper.  I have been rescribing and sanding back the surface detail.  The underside was first in and the airbrakes came off

MjnmzB7.jpg

And the top half.  Slats are off the leading edges and airbrakes off the back end

wNG0WLJ.jpg

The slots for the rear horizontal stabilisers are cut and the bits are gathering. Might be time to close up the fuselage soon.

OTqskWH.jpg

The slats need hinge points as do the airbrakes, plus the detail needs to be made inside the airbrakes.  If I get the time on it this could come together quite quickly

• Like 3

Body halves together today and base of the tail (short version) is attached. Tail is scribed & sanded back & intake is going together.  For the last one I did I left the intake fit until almost last.  The top of the casing has the darker grey applied so that is a lot easier to do with the intake section off the jet.  Then fit it later when the light grey underside has been painted.

ryyaWtd.jpg

When the fuselage join is dry I will run some green stuff around any gaps - especially at the tail base - and then think about adding the hinge points for the slats to the front of the wings.  The airbrake hinges are going back on too

• Like 4

Cheers @Lord RiotI used the edge of an old photo etch sheet & pushed it on to the curved body so that I would get a nice line.  I must get one of those brass scribing sheets with various sized boxes & circles.  Rescribing the SR-71 will be a much bigger job!  To my mind the ESCI F-16 has a good shape making it a good base to work from.

• Like 1

Pegs holding the fuselage while it dried are off, so test fit of tail, horizontal stabilisers slats & flaps, plus top airbrake halves.  All looking good

E9STeDf.jpg

Ad the underside view with the intakes blu tacked on 

J99EjNW.jpg

• Like 1

Found the resin seat I painted up when I did the rest of the cockpit.  Looks better than the kit one.  Although I have seen much worse seats I. A kit this age

bR55CIa.jpg

Green stuff on the seams & putting some detail in to the open airbrakes.  Just a bit of plasticard but when painted I think that will look ok.  Bottom halves still to do

lf4nui5.jpg

The intake has been painted white as has the wheel well.  Academy could learn something from this nice easy intake

cC4rTnS.jpg

Other airbrake halves next or the hinges for the slats

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

That resin seat is a vast improvement. And, it won't be hidden under the F-16's bubble canopy.

Cheers & the canopy will be open so you can see even more of it

• Like 1

The block that will be the hinges of the slats are on.  These will be filed back to little triangles, about 1mm out at the top going down to nothing at the base.  Then when the slats go on they will push them slightly down.  Also added the fin base antenna and drilled out & improved the lights either side of the  fin.

Qf6QHht.jpg

Need to put on the fin itself soon and do the bottom halves of the airbrakes.  Not masses to do before getting some paint on

Cheers @phildagreek bit more done tonight.  The new hinges are dry so I have cut them & sanded them back.  The slats need three small slots filed in to them to close up the gap a bit but otherwise that looks alright

XD5ddaR.jpg

and while I was messing about with it I stuck the fin on

g0Xxxcg.jpg

• Like 1

Nose lumps & side antenna added while watching the footie.  The antenna are too long but I usually put in stretched sprue & promptly snap them off.  So this time I used telephone wire & superglue.  These will get cut back when dry and won’t snap off

9hDG1t7.jpg

I need these lumps in the right place as the form the eyes over the shark mouth.

• Like 1

Coming along very nicely, the work you’re doing on the slats and flaps looks similar to what I’m doing on my Jag. I wish more manufacturers made kits where you didn’t need to scratch build things to hang down!

3 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Coming along very nicely, the work you’re doing on the slats and flaps looks similar to what I’m doing on my Jag. I wish more manufacturers made kits where you didn’t need to scratch build things to hang down!

Indeed!  The Airfix Hawk kit as really nice flaps on it. If the fit was better the Revell Tornado too.  But it’s quite fun doing your own as the kit makers don’t always get it right

The bottom halves of the airbrakes got their inner detail tonight.  Coming along ok I think

Ps7Bg9h.jpg

And with the horizontal stabilisers in the tilted up position.

YnvVBG6.jpg

Still need to add anti static tags to the trailing edges of the stabilisers, and to the rudder.  I think I will paint the stabilisers, slats and flaps before putting them in place, plus the rear lower fins

• Like 1

I was thinking of remaining jobs before I think about paint and I realised that I haven’t done anything with the wheel bays.  So this is how they look out of the box 

wbMH8YE.jpg

And if I got the resin they look like this 

3610548e1d50c19864087324249421b1.image.9

So out with the stretched sprue, wire & plasticard.  I am not in to perfect as I can’t remember the last time I looked closely at a wheel bay on a kit I have built.  But this is how they now look 

3DGZr9f.jpg

Not a lot new in the front bay

jeDF4sm.jpg

Up quite a bit added to the main bay 

Ck6pdlS.jpg

I also started looking at the loadout.  Now many will tell you that the F-16 tanks are wrong with the ESCI kit x the strange pointy at both ends early tanks.  But there is a version of this kit that does include the later tanks and I have them. The next pylons will carry AGM-45 Shrike.  Now the Shrike and Sparrow use the same body and I have spare Sparrow missiles.  Externally I think I only really need to crop the winglets.  I think I will fit but leave empty the outer underwing pylon, and put Aim 9s on the wing top.  This will be an early Spang F-16 so pre AIM-120s.  Quick test fit 

zH4dyj5.jpg

Need to now figure out the lower blade antenna fit locations.  I think that slot in front of the front wheel bay is wrong for later models, with a shorter fitting behind the nose

• Like 2

A little colour on the wheel bays.  A light wash over to pick out detail once it’s dry & I think the bays are ready for covering up to spray the underside with primer

LCUMpS6.jpg

• Like 1

So load out.  I am thinking as I said above.  Tanks on the inner pylons, then AGM-45s, empty outer pylons & rails plus wing tip AIM-9s.  Now the centreline. I was thinking ALQ pod.  So 184, 119 or another variety?

And googling this very question I found these.  I have an F-4G waiting too although I was going for Euro One camo on that

an-air-to-air-right-side-view-of-an-f-16

And even more helpful

an-air-to-air-right-underside-view-of-an

Looks very ALQ 131 to me

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 8:38 PM, Flyingdutchman said:

I’d say it’s a ALQ-131 👍🏻.

Good - sure I have one somewhere!

I found a brass ladder kit for an F-16 that I picked up for my last batch and never built.  It’s an Eduard kit.  I feel I should be getting the soldering iron out in true model rail brass kits style.  But I went down the always less successful superglue route instead

soKAFNy.jpg

This is the whole thing.  Main sides together and a couple of treads to get the spacing

vYZXBIR.jpg

And a check to see how it sits

alJ2Msr.jpg

Might have a slight twist but I think getting the remaining treads in will help

• Like 2