Converting a Merit/Trumpeter 1/200 USS Hornet to RC

TimothyL

I am in the planning stages for building an RC version of the 1/200 Merit/Trumpeter USS Hornet. The first challenge will be creating easy access to the electronics. If you have built an RC 1/200 Yorktown class carrier, I would love to hear how you approached accessing the electronics. Thank you.
Also if you have an excess KA upgrade kit, I would be interested.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not done one myself but I've contemplated it and how it could be done, is it a one piece deck? 

I'd wondered about using small magnets spaced out across the deck to join to the Hull, I saw a video of a build done that way and a small servo being used to pop the deck in one part to allow it to then be lifted off, I've had a look but can't find the video sorry, 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Thanks 1

As I've studied it I have come to the conclusion that the hangar deck and flight deck need to be built as an integrated single removable piece held in place with magnets. Thanks for your response 👍!

• Like 1

Might be worth trying trying keep the hanger separate incase it causes stability issues, though I guess at 1/200 there's likely enough ballast to stop that being an issue, id be interested to see how you go about it - will you be doing a build log?

I have three Rc ships to complete before commencing this project. I am in the information gathering stage at this point. It will thus be many months before I start building in earnest - other than doing some 'practice' work on extra B25's I purchased to test build. I will try a build log once I begin. Thank you.

• Like 1