1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter MKVI

Dear all,

My eldest son bought me this kit for my birthday back in March -

My son included a note with the kit with the words 'something a bit different'.  It is as I normally build WW1 or biplane aircraft kits, so this is very much a departure in genre for me!

Built completely OOB and entirely brush painted, it represents a nightfighter of 96th Sqadron, Scotland, October 1943.

FrpFz30.jpg

175q9pT.jpg

uDQLnCO.jpg

btc1jfQ.jpg

zD2imV7.jpg

MxAT2eH.jpg

NJhwh3q.jpg

fDp8QyD.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 25

Thank you kindly, gents - much appreciated!

Brush painting is not too bad - as long as you use a neutral base colour and make sure you fully thin down the paint so as not to leave brush marks when it has dried.  It is more time consuming though as you have to build up paint in thin layers and paint the model in sections.  Also, difficult to you use some of the weathering/shading tricks that are more easily accomplished with an airbrush.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BillF67 said:

Dave,

What paints do you use and what thinning ratio? 

Hi Bill 

My paint of choice are Revell 'Aqua' colour range of acrylics.   The paint from the pot is very thick but is this way so you can thin it down with tap water.   In terms of paint thickness, I thin down to consistancy of milk - so pretty thin.   You then build up in thin layers, changing direction of brush stroke with each new coat.   Decals are sealed in with Revell's clear matt as soon as the decals are on and once I have smoothed the decal onto the surface - I apply four coats of clear in quick succession.   The reason for this is that once it dries, it really pulls the decal tight into the surface as gives a reasonable painted on look.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Dave