Those Magnificent Martians In Their Flying Machines

3 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Honestly - It's not worth calling them, you have to listen to poetry when they put you on hold...

In normal circumstances you would be quite correct and no sane entity would phone them. However, the one thing they like more than their poetry. is having a planet or two to squish. If you choose this option on their phone menu, you get put straight through to their chief civil engineer who recites his poetry to the unfortunate denizens of the planet/s in question while their world is getting bulldozered to make way for the next hyperspace bypass.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

That's assuming that he's not too busy pruning his petunias or playing with his pet mice.

At least he THINKS they're his pet mice....

Ian

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, DonH said:

...and how was it?

Great! I may have to go back for a second fondle this evening! Seeing as I now have all three V Bombers as state of the art kits, I may have to take them all to bed as a foursome.

I have got some more done but I shall have to wait a few hours before I can handle the wings as they have wet paint on them.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Martian said:

In normal circumstances you would be quite correct and no sane entity would phone them. However, the one thing they like more than their poetry. is having a planet or two to squish. If you choose this option on their phone menu, you get put straight through to their chief civil engineer who recites his poetry to the unfortunate denizens of the planet/s in question while their world is getting bulldozered to make way for the next hyperspace bypass.

But the forms! The endless forms to be filled out!

• Haha 3

On 6/30/2021 at 8:27 AM, Aeronut said:

...The chief complication in the wing structure...

Nope: wasn't involved in the construction of this, nor was I aware that there is a certain issue of aerial problem in early aviation named after my humble self. "Chief Complication" - how dare you!

(But as this involves a problem in getting direction right, it might sound a bit like me...)

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Martian said:

To put Richie out of his misery, it will be a Canadian drone carrying Lancaster.

Interesting. You may need a couple of these. This one is part built and one of a pair from Belcher bits destined to become 1/72 scale KDA-1 Firebee's. ICM (1/48) and Plus Model (1/72) do similar, but I suspect you know that!

IMG20210703143915

I must keep an eye open for your Lancaster build 😁

Terry

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RichieW said:

A certain 4 engined beastie to join them too?

20 hours ago, Martian said:

Yes but probably not in the guise you might expect.

11 hours ago, Martian said:

To put Richie out of his misery, it will be a Canadian drone carrying Lancaster.

Now, technically that's at least five engines then?

Nitpicker of Lincs.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Interesting. You may need a couple of these. This one is part built and one of a pair from Belcher bits destined to become 1/72 scale KDA-1 Firebee's. ICM (1/48) and Plus Model (1/72) do similar, but I suspect you know that!

IMG20210703143915

I must keep an eye open for your Lancaster build 😁

Terry

All necessary materials have already gathered in.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Now, technically that's at least five engines then?

Nitpicker of Lincs.

Six as it happens.

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

But the forms! The endless forms to be filled out!

I am given to understand that the red tape can be done retrospectively.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

A bit of a setback to report. I masked and sprayed the darker area that can be seen on the under surfaces of the wings with Tamiya smoke and ended up overdoing it. I had just come home from coxing a long MVS patrol. That will teach me not to model when tired. :banghead: So, out came the IPA and the paint was stripped off. a new coat of primer has been applied and when it is dry, I shall redo the ribs and spars. Fortunately this is not a long job and is rather therapeutic anyway. I think this time I will mask off and spray a darkened coat of doped linen.

On a brighter note the Posca Paint pens seem to work really well for marking ribs and spars on this type of aircraft and I have ordered a decent supply of them in brown and black for future projects of this type.

Frustrated but not disheartened of Mars 👽

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Martian said:

On a brighter note the Posca Paint pens seem to work really well for marking ribs and spars on this type of aircraft and I have ordered a decent supply of them in brown and black for future projects of this type.

Based on your recommendation I’m looking at getting a few Posca pens, myself. What sizes & types of tips would you suggest?

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Based on your recommendation I’m looking at getting a few Posca pens, myself. What sizes & types of tips would you suggest?

Mine are PC-5M medium ones with a bullet headed tip. As to what you need, that rather depends on what you want to do with them.

In other news, the wings have been resprayed and the ribs marked out again and are now curing before I handle them for the pictures. we don't want tentacle prints all over them do we? My last Posca pen is dying so I hope the post lady is quick off the mark. I can be getting on with masking off the rib tapes on the upper surfaces in the meantime. Pictures tomorrow.

This is the first time I have experimented with this technique but I am confident that it will go better on the triplane.

Martian 👽

Martian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The paint having now cured on the wings to the point that I can now handle them, here are the pictures as to where we are at thus far:

014.jpg

015.jpg

I have also made a start on masking off the rib tapes on the upper surfaces of the flying surfaces.  I shall mist a few coats of MRP Bleached linen on, remove the masking and mist on a final coat of linen for the top surfaces.

016.jpg

For the lower, I shall mist on coats of linen until I get the translucent effect that I am looking for. I am coming to the realisation that, if I want this model to turn out better than my previous effort, I am going to have to do this one in bite sized chunks as I am finding that the concentration required is somewhat tiring.

Thanks for looking and lunacy  normal service may now resume.

Martian 👽

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Lovely wingy thing. And I note the lack of biscuit crumbs on your keyboard. Sadly, mine has a tinge of Bourbon bits.

Thanks Pete. Crumbs are an optional extra and naturally come at a premium price.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

I have spent most of my time over the past few days experimenting with ways of replicating the translucent effect of the lower wing surfaces. Following various permutations, what I settled on was this: The ribs and spars were already marked out as shown on the last update as was the darker strip that is shown in both contemporary photographs and those of the Shuttleworth replica. I then misted coats of MRP linen over the wings until was happy with the result. When this had all set, I went back over the centre of the ribs and spars with a sharp pencil and then blew a final coat of linen over the wing to blend things in.

I Painted the top surfaces of the wings in linen and the masked of the ribs and spars and painted these white. I find the effect little too subtle for my liking and there has been much scratching of the Martian bonce as to how to enhance the ribs a bit more. I then discovered that MRP do a slightly darker tone of linen so supplies of this have been ordered and I will re-mask the ribs and spar and blow a coat of this over the flying surface tops.

I discovered the reason for the darker area towards the rear of the wing undersides. The Boxkite had wings that were only fully covered on their upper surfaces. On the lower surfaces, only the ribs and spars were covered, thus resulting in the wide stripe of darker colour we see.

I also got the centre section of the lower wing masked of and sprayed in Tamiya Dark Yellow. Detail painting of this area will commence when the paint has had 24 hours to fully cure. The first batch of struts and the fore and aft booms have had their wood colours painted and been varnished, pending the detail painting of their fittings. The next job will be to paint the remaining struts and the undercarriage assemblies. We can then look forward actually gluing some plastic together again.

Thanks for looking.

Exhausted of Mars 👽

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

• Like 16

Soddit! I wanted a Pennine crossing for Avro.

I hoped the transuranics of an alien thread would give us an Avro York, instead it's just a nuthr blooming Lancaster. 😡

Oh well, just popped for a look-see expecting the usual Martian stuff, move along nothing to see here style of affair.

Instead it's another tour-de-force of magnificent men (sine Me!chett of course) stringy aerodynes and fabulous times at Shuttleworth.

Wowsa!

Not my scene much as I don't understand why those madmen were driven on to make real flying begin, but will it be ok if I pop my head round the door at times to enjoy the progress?

Which will happen once Martian gets his... head out of the concrete block of Vogon poetry

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Soddit! I wanted a Pennine crossing for Avro.

I hoped the transuranics of an alien thread would give us an Avro York, instead it's just a nuthr blooming Lancaster. 😡

Oh well, just popped for a look-see expecting the usual Martian stuff, move along nothing to see her style of affair.

Instead it's another tour-de-force of magnificent men (sine Me!chett of course) stringy aerodynes and fabulous times at Shuttleworth.

Wowsa!

Not my scene much as I don't understand why those madmen were driven on to make real flying begin, but will it be ok if I pop my head round the door at times to enjoy the progress?

Which will happen once Martian gets his... head out of the concrete block of Vogon poetry

Thanks Bill of course you are welcome. If at any point you don't follow what's going on, and let's face it often even I don't really know what I'm doing or why I'm doing it, you can always join in with the banter and general insanity/General Insanity Melchett. You should at least be used to that by now!

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Coming along very nicely Martin...

Colin

Thank you Colin.

6 hours ago, Brandy said:

Nice. I like that!

Ian

Cheers Ian.

Martian 👽

(Off to do battle with more masking tape and struts!)

• Like 4

Right, I have at last got the upper surfaces of the wings and tail planes how I want them. The darker shade of MRP linen arrived a few hours after my last post  and proved to be answer. Consequently, much of my time since their arrival has been taken up by masking off the rib tapes, @AdrianMF was quite right when he said I would need a truckload of masking tape. Anyway, the white tapes were masked off and the darker linen colour painted on to the flying surfaces and when dry, the masking tape was removed from the ribs. This left too starker contrast but I knew that it would do so in advance. I then misted the lighter linen colour over the flying surfaces until I got the effect I was looking for.

Away from the flying surfaces, I completed painting and varnishing the second batch of struts and painted the propeller with a wood grain effect. Next up is to get the control surfaces painted and we are then good to go for doing some actual building. Now that I have got a system sorted out as to how to get the effect on linen surfaces that I want, I am quite looking forward to having a bash at @general melchett's tri-plane.

I have sent off for a bi-plane jig, having got tired of messing about with home made jigs for this type of model.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

024.jpg

025.jpg

023.jpg

• Like 18

On 6/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, 72modeler said:

I see what you mean, Martian, and I  do not envy you your task, Those wings look like they were sections of galvanized corrugated roofing cut from an old barn! We have a similar ensemble to the Swamp Ladies here in the Lone Star State- the West Texas Womens Wind Wafters; only difference being they use jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese, wrapped with bacon, battered, and deep fried for inspiration You should hear their rendition of Flight of the Bumblebee- sounds like a squadron of Lightnings in reheat! (Two can play this game- or is it three?) :giggle:

Mike

Somebody has to defend the Naughty Corner's honor while CC is away!

Oh what a great man and great Nasty corner buddy you are !!!

You deserve some Quadruppel trappe for sure !!

Soooo, Our Dear Alien is on....

Magnificent Martians are quite a great intro for such a hard kit to build....

I'm catching up Dears...

I'm back...

CC

• Like 4

On 6/25/2021 at 10:46 AM, general melchett said:

Following our chat over the ether earlier, I must say, I see what you mean about the marbling but agree with the other chaps that those wings look rather fetching. I remember having the Avro Triplane, Biplane and they were similar (Probably all the kits in the range were the same, to be fair). Renwal’s equally bizarre Voisin Farman 1908 and Curtiss Golden Flyer 1909 went with a different approach, including a sheet of tissue paper (Silk-span) to cover the wooden skeleton, later labelled as ‘Aero-Skin’. The Boxkite was certainly a strange old beastie.

Oh, and there’s nothing wrong with my curried-egg and sprout sarnies....just ask the chemical warfare division of the fifth foot and mouth fusiliers (Botulinum battalion).

Oh Dear General....

I'm sure there are no problems....

until one of them gulped a bottle of Blue Chimay on this sarnie....

The poor lad blow up....

At some point, your sarnie has been banned by Geneva convention....

Tssss.....

CC

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Oh what a great man and great Nasty corner buddy you are !!!

You deserve some Quadruppel trappe for sure !!

Soooo, Our Dear Alien is on....

Magnificent Martians are quite a great intro for such a hard kit to build....

I'm catching up Dears...

I'm back...

CC

Thanks CC, great to see you back. The kit isn't actually hard to build, it just requires more than the usual preparation and patience. 

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1