Those Magnificent Martians In Their Flying Machines

I think I might have overdone things a bit when General and Lady Melchett visited the other week as I have had a bad bout of fibromyalgia which has kept me away from the bench a lot. Still I have now got most of the rigging done, with just the rigging for the controls left to do.

Most of my time over the last week has been spent making good where I have removed traces of the wires that passed right through the upper wing. This has been the very epitome of tedium but I should be OK to mask up the wing ready for remedial airbrush work.

The lines you see hanging loose are the control lines for the ailerons, there will be just about the last items to get added to the model. I decided to use a couple of wicker seats from Barracuda Models and these are in paint as we speak. I have to keep reminding myself not to forget that engine I bought for the build!

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

040.jpg

039.jpg

041.jpg

043.jpg

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, Martian said:

Most of my time over the last week has been spent making good where I have removed traces of the wires that passed right through the upper wing. This has been the very epitome of tedium

Gidday Martian, I would have thought adding rivets would have a good claim to tedium. But either way, adding rivets in that quantity to prehistoric subs or wires to prehistoric aircraft shows your skill and dedication. It's out of my league. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Admiring of Earth (Jeff).

• Thanks 1

While I have lurked in this thread I have been amazed by this but seeing those pictures I am utterly awestruck, nay gobsmacked.

This is a thing of beauty and you have my sincere apologies for not saying anything earlier.

I do not feel that I have the skill or talent to comment on such a fantastic build but, well, I just had to express my admiration.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Good to see you back and fighting fit (Don't slouch, Darling!)

There's more than a hint of spiders web in this creation. Beautifully delicate. Good job the hay fever season is over, Ahchoo! sorry.... 🤧

• Haha 1

Martian have you been using that shrinking ray of yours again? It looks to good not to be real. Had to check the NASM to make sure they weren't missing their Wright Flyer. Outstanding job O Pained Tenticled One. Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure the General accepts full responsibility. Generals are known for that. 

Oh, wait, maybe I'm thinking of someone else.....

Lovely rigging, and she is definitely starting to look very much like the Edwardian fabric and wire concoction that we have been looking forward to seeing!

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That really does look the business Martian, very realistic.

When i eventually see it in the flesh might be tempted to see if it might possibly fly ........ Second thoughts, better not!

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/09/2021 at 10:29, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, I would have thought adding rivets would have a good claim to tedium. But either way, adding rivets in that quantity to prehistoric subs or wires to prehistoric aircraft shows your skill and dedication. It's out of my league. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Admiring of Earth (Jeff).

Thanks Jeff but it's not out of anyone's league. It just look complicated. The hardest part was drilling holes through the booms. The rest was easier than threading a needle.

On 04/09/2021 at 11:49, AliGauld said:

While I have lurked in this thread I have been amazed by this but seeing those pictures I am utterly awestruck, nay gobsmacked.

This is a thing of beauty and you have my sincere apologies for not saying anything earlier.

I do not feel that I have the skill or talent to comment on such a fantastic build but, well, I just had to express my admiration.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair but as to not having the ability, I refer you to the answer I gave the member for Oz.

On 04/09/2021 at 13:07, Pete in Lincs said:

Good to see you back and fighting fit (Don't slouch, Darling!)

There's more than a hint of spiders web in this creation. Beautifully delicate. Good job the hay fever season is over, Ahchoo! sorry.... 🤧

Thanks Pete. Not to worry about the hay fever season being over, the raiding brewer's drays in Lincolnshire season looms ever closer! :evil_laugh:

23 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Martian have you been using that shrinking ray of yours again? It looks to good not to be real. Had to check the NASM to make sure they weren't missing their Wright Flyer. Outstanding job O Pained Tenticled One. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks Loren. The fibromyalgia is always there but every so often one gets a bad bout of it.

21 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Wow! It’s looking very good isn’t it! 🤔

Cheers Steve.

20 hours ago, Brandy said:

I'm sure the General accepts full responsibility. Generals are known for that. 

Oh, wait, maybe I'm thinking of someone else.....

Lovely rigging, and she is definitely starting to look very much like the Edwardian fabric and wire concoction that we have been looking forward to seeing!

Ian

Cheers Ian.

19 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That really does look the business Martian, very realistic.

When i eventually see it in the flesh might be tempted to see if it might possibly fly ........ Second thoughts, better not!

Terry

Thanks Terry.

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking impressive Martin, sorry to here you have been a bit crook! Seems as though it's doing the round, my L5 vertebra is giving me jip at present...

Colin

Thanks Colin, I hope you back improves soon.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, europapete said:

Actually Terry, it probably would fly with a couple of Estes rocket engines strapped to it! 

Evil child! So would you with maybe a few extra rockets attached.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, europapete said:

my power to weight ratio leaves a little bit to be desired

I was going to say the same about myself until Mrs Martian pointed out that the reverse is true when I have been eating too many baked beans!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4