Those Magnificent Martians In Their Flying Machines

16 minutes ago, JamesP said:

The turnbuckles add a nice extra element. Are you sticking to the kits rigging instructions or going the full hog?

I found a contemporary rigging plan on some Russian site of all places! I shall be going with that. The kit rigging instructions are quite accurate as far as they go but there are a few omissions.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

I can attest to the veracity of this thread as I have the very Heath Robinsonian contraption in all it’s intrications in front of me, here in the withdrawing room of Martian Towers and very luverly it is too. The Martian and Martianess have been perfect hosts, despite the low air pressure and odd asteroid storm we have managed to achieve most of the goals set out for us in the pre-visit activity forms. This mostly consisted of daily practical demonstrations, including the use/misuse of real ale in conjunction with boats, classic cars, the odd bit of modelling and more real ale....and that’s just the ladyfolks...Pictorial evidence to be duly submitted....be very afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, general melchett said:

I can attest to the veracity of this thread as I have the very Heath Robinsonian contraption in all it’s intrications in front of me, here in the withdrawing room of Martian Towers and very luverly it is too. The Martian and Martianess have been perfect hosts, despite the low air pressure and odd asteroid storm we have managed to achieve most of the goals set out for us in the pre-visit activity forms. This mostly consisted of daily practical demonstrations, including the use/misuse of real ale in conjunction with boats, classic cars, the odd bit of modelling and more real ale....and that’s just the ladyfolks...Pictorial evidence to be duly submitted....be very afraid.

General watch out for those pesky wheeled robots and whirlygigs  meandering about. They do seem to all have cameras and a desire to snap a shot at the most in-opportune moment.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

General watch out for those pesky wheeled robots and whirlygigs  meandering about. They do seem to all have cameras and a desire to snap a shot at the most in-opportune moment.

We do have speed cameras for the wheelie robots and are deploying suitable anti-whirlygig AAA.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Thanks Loren, duly noted. They have been noted circling the wagons in and around the bar area and, worryingly, the ablutions room, no doubt data mining information to be used against us on return to our home planet. I would say, ‘intelligence gathering’ but that would be an oxymoron of biblical proportions....Beeeeagh.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Loren, duly noted. They have been noted circling the wagons in and around the bar area and, worryingly, the ablutions room, no doubt data mining information to be used against us on return to our home planet. I would say, ‘intelligence gathering’ but that would be an oxymoron of biblical proportions....Beeeeagh.

Yes, By all means guard the Absolutions room. Your orders Sah, are to hold your position at all costs until relieved No retreat

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Yes, By all means guard the Absolutions room. Your orders Sah, are to hold your position at all costs until relieved No retreat

Well done Loren, I was worried that things were taking a turn for the serious earlier today. No offence James but sat here in the same room with @general melchett, sensible is not exactly on the agenda today.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Your orders Sah, are to hold your position at all costs until relieved. No retreat.

That’s definitely easier said than done....I cannot both hold this position and be relieved at the same time, retreat isn’t even an option, given the room dimensions.....I’m afraid I’m here for the duration......Darling, fetch my Armstrong-Whitworth cannonette, some cotton buds and a big ball of grease, (no, not Baldrick you graceless, dim-witted pumpkin)..

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

That’s definitely easier said than done....I cannot both hold this position and be relieved at the same time, retreat isn’t even an option, given the room dimensions.....I’m afraid I’m here for the duration......Darling, fetch my Armstrong-Whitworth cannonette, some cotton buds and a big ball of grease, (no, not Baldrick you graceless, dim-witted pumpkin)..

I can now confirm that @general melchettdid have to hold it for me and give it a damm good squirt into the bargain. A wire had come loose and he had to spray some accelerator on it (the wire!) you dirty minded buggers!

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Excellent work Martin, those turnbuckles add greatly the the effect/addition of the rigging.

Colin

Cheers Colin, I had a session this afternoon and was greatly "aided" by our beloved General.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

I'm glad you're keeping the General occupied. I thought it was quiet here. No One'o'clock cannon for instance. 

I'll contact the local rag and get them to cancel the planned front page. I note that house prices in Waddington have now temporarily gone up.

The turnbuckles are a nice touch. Not too unusual in the middle of the run in my experience, but perhaps not in the intended period.

• Like 2

That final squirt made all the difference...without it, the thing was all floppy. Martian has done a Stirling job on the old thing, the rigging, inspirational...so much so, that he’s gone for a quick lie down...

Pete, prepare yourself, bolt all the doors, hammer large pieces of crooked wood against all the windows and alert all pubs in the immediate area....the Martians intend a rematch in a few months and you’re on the agenda...The Lincolnshire constabulary have been notified and ready for any major incident that may result from the visitation. He says you owe him a keg or two so be warned...and well armed.

• Haha 7

Gidday Martian, it doesn't look a very robust machine, I don't think I'd like to try one. You're a braver man creature (oops, sorry) than me. It's looking very good though, good luck with the rest of the build.

Regards, Admiring of Earth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, general melchett said:

That final squirt made all the difference...without it, the thing was all floppy. Martian has done a Stirling job on the old thing, the rigging, inspirational...

Like the Mafia, his tentacles are everywhere....

Righteous rigging dear xenomorph. :thumbsup2:

• Haha 3

Lovely rigging, and the turnbuckles are close to scale too. One thing that ruins so many rigged aircraft models is overscale rigging and/or turnbuckles, or even turnbuckles where there shouldn't be any.

As for the General holding his position until relieved......I need a beer or three to get that image out of my head!

Ian

• Haha 6

Tentacled One- the model is absolutely fabulous! (With apologies to Jennifer Saunders!) I assume the General was wearing his casual battle pants? The rigging looks perfect to me- either that or you have a trained spider and a two-inch whip! (Please inform @corsaircorp that the Naughty Corner tunnel is almost finished, but I need another Xacto blade!) :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Tentacled One- the model is absolutely fabulous! (With apologies to Jennifer Saunders!) I assume the General was wearing his casual battle pants? The rigging looks perfect to me- either that or you have a trained spider and a two-inch whip! (Please inform @corsaircorp that the Naughty Corner tunnel is almost finished, but I need another Xacto blade!) :giggle:

Mike

Thanks Mike but as to the tunnel, some plonker has just brought it to my attention and it has been filled in with reinforced concrete. An own goal there methinks!

Commandant von Martian 👽

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I assume the General was wearing his casual battle pants?

Casual and supremely relaxed Mike....well, it was rather warm down there in Poole’s nether-regions especially out in the harbour area. We experienced some fine tentacled action from our very own captain Ahab as he hunted down the odd jet-ski driver who’s blatant disregard of the speeding rules did not go unnoticed. Martian’s seething disappointment was palpable as said offender dove for cover and vanished into one of the many inlets surrounding the harbour before we could arrange a boarding party and suitable punishment. 
Now that we’re over in Wales we return to the summer norm of 10/10ths clag, chilly heavy rain and the mandatory wearing of steel-Wool battle pants.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Martian said:

it has been filled in with reinforced concrete.

OK....make that a gross of Xacto blades! I reckon the chipped concrete can be used as filler for Mach 1 kits? :like:

Mike

@general melchett

Andy, if you're going to don the steel wool battle pants in that wet Wales environment for any length of time,  might I suggest some WD40 liberally applied to arrest corrosion of the naughty bits? (Also stops the squeaks!)

Mike

• Haha 7

I fear the squeeks may be Baldrick's rats, which he keeps in his battle pants. No amount of wd-40 will help there, although a barrel of eau-de-cologne may help slightly.

Ian

• Haha 6

On 8/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, 72modeler said:

Andy, if you're going to don the steel wool battle pants in that wet Wales environment for any length of time,  might I suggest some WD40 liberally applied to arrest corrosion of the naughty bits? (Also stops the squeaks!)

Sound advice young fella, although I did smear them in Waxoil and extract of ‘Baldrick’s Tincture’ shortly before deployment to the Sarf coast. Don’t want to seize up mid sheep-worrying! (Apart from the squeaks, it’s the creaks I’m more worried about these days)... 

• Haha 6

Splendiferous job on the Boxkite Dear Alien...

So, I missed a rat race in Poole's harbour... What a shame....

I need a bigger jetski for the next time... Smuggling beer with remotely controlled jetski....:evil_laugh:

then You destroyed the superb artwork of a tunnel from my friend in NC ???

Tsssss !!! 

Sed to have missed that great reunion !!:blush::blush:

I'll be back soon, but I'm crossing really shaky waters at the moment...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maginot said:

Masterful job so far. May I ask what your rigging material is and how you attached it?

Thanks Maginot, the rigging is fishing line. I drilled through the parts concerned with a 0.30mm drill bit, anchored the line at one end with CA, threaded on a turnbuckle, threaded the line through the opposite end of the run, pulled tight and secured with another drop of CA. With a bit of planning sometimes a single length of line can be used for more than one run. This is particularly so on the tail booms.

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Splendiferous job on the Boxkite Dear Alien...

So, I missed a rat race in Poole's harbour... What a shame....

I need a bigger jetski for the next time... Smuggling beer with remotely controlled jetski....:evil_laugh:

then You destroyed the superb artwork of a tunnel from my friend in NC ???

Tsssss !!! 

Sed to have missed that great reunion !!:blush::blush:

I'll be back soon, but I'm crossing really shaky waters at the moment...

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, not to worry, there will be a place in the naughty corner reserved for you upon your return.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2