Those Magnificent Martians In Their Flying Machines

On 6/28/2021 at 10:22 PM, Chief Cohiba said:

From my own experience I'd rather prefer Single Malts. Islay, to be precise. Nothing that smells and tastes like burned oil from an rotary can be bad!

And so, you live in Vienna, Ströh Rum wuld have been a good proposal...

This beverage keep my great grand father alive until 99 years and 10 months....

Now I follow you on the Islay Single Malt, but I have a mouth like a monkey spanner....

It goes on almost everything....

I say almost.....

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2021 at 9:05 PM, Martian said:

Yes but probably not in the guise you might expect.

Mysterious of Mars 👽

Let's bet on some yellow and black stripes ????

Okay, I know the drill,

On to the naughty corner...

CC

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Let's bet on some yellow and black stripes ????

Okay, I know the drill,

On to the naughty corner...

CC

Not quite but plenty of red and orange, will that do?

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

And so, you live in Vienna, Ströh Rum wuld have been a good proposal...

This beverage keep my great grand father alive until 99 years and 10 months....

Now I follow you on the Islay Single Malt, but I have a mouth like a monkey spanner....

It goes on almost everything....

I say almost.....

CC

Yes, Stroh Rum - we have quite a supply with that! You get it in your local super market, even at you local gas station, literally everywhere. It's sold in 38%, 60%, or 80%. I know that it is technically possible to drink that stuff, but...

That's why I go for Islays; the subtle taste, the mild finish, the reserved flavour...

About the exclusion of the "almost"; I don't drink Schnaps. At least not on a voluntary basis.

And I don't ski. So I might not be your typical Austrian.

Prost, then!

But here is more the big pangalactic gurgleurp the drink to sip, right?

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Martian said:

...the kit isn't actually hard to build, it just requires more than the usual preparation and patience. 

That said before you start the rigging, right? I hope your tentacle do sport some skillful spinning glands (is that the correct term?)...

• Haha 3

On 6/29/2021 at 11:27 PM, Aeronut said:

Well he's telling you porkies.

The film's Technical advisor Air Cmdr. Wheeler wrote a book about choosing, building and flying the replicas titled Building Aeroplanes for 'Those Magnificent Men'. On the subject of the Triplane's control system he wrote: "Being a triplane the multiplicity of the wire bracing members was considerable but the principle was the same as for a biplane. The chief complication in the wing structure arose from the very ingenious method for providing wing-warping whereby the outer portion of the rear spars on the two top planes were definitely hinged to allow for the warp distortion without depending on the elasticity of the wooden spar, as was the then practice for wing warping".

Thanks for identifying this book. A copy just arrived and it certainly looks to be an interesting read.

And for anybody in southern CA, I just saw a copy in Once Read Books, in Lakewood CA--yes, I should have checked them before going to AbeBooks. :doh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Yes, Stroh Rum - we have quite a supply with that! You get it in your local super market, even at you local gas station, literally everywhere. It's sold in 38%, 60%, or 80%. I know that it is technically possible to drink that stuff, but...

That's why I go for Islays; the subtle taste, the mild finish, the reserved flavour...

About the exclusion of the "almost"; I don't drink Schnaps. At least not on a voluntary basis.

Prost, then!

I did'nt have any pre requisite about any nation....:rofl2:

Just funny that my old old man used to order his favourite beverage from Vienna...

Schnapps is not my cup of tea, even when throwed in a beer....

If this liquid thing can be called a beer

Living in Belgium, I let you guess about my favourite booze ??

I used to share it in SMW, So, it's a way to show our Dear Alien that planet earth deserve to stay in just one piece....

IMG_20191109_163059

In 2019, We stayed in Madeley court hotel, there was a bunch of Austrians that have had a party...

They were modellers, did you were in that group ??

So the pangalactic gurgleup is renamed BRF....

Standing for Belgian Rocket Fuel....:rofl2:

Hope we'll see in 2022...

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

oh Dear Martian,

Now that I saw the pics....

I was at work when I read the whole thread....

Just one thing left to be said

:mike:

Congrats for the painting... It's impressive !!

Impressed CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

That said before you start the rigging, right? I hope your tentacle do sport some skillful spinning glands (is that the correct term?)...

Rigging is easy enough, I find it quite therapeutic.

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Thanks for identifying this book. A copy just arrived and it certainly looks to be an interesting read.

And for anybody in southern CA, I just saw a copy in Once Read Books, in Lakewood CA--yes, I should have checked them before going to AbeBooks. :doh:

I got hold of a copy as soon as became aware of the title. It is indeed a very informative and readable tome.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Prost, then!

Ah, 80% Stroh rum, now there's a blast from the past or when I used to be able to get hold of it, a blast from the Martian's assorted orifices! More like a Pangalactic Gurgleburp than Pangalactic Gargleblaster ! 

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Great for cleaning gummed up carburetors and fuel injectors, I hear!

Mike

And airbrushes and anything else you might want dissolved/sanitised. I am given to understand that some people use it as a hand sanitiser these days.

Actually, this reminds me of a party I attended with some French modellers on the Saturday night of Scale Modelworld once. One of the French chaps who was a farmer for a living, was handing round what purported to be a litre and a half bottle of "Martini". It transpired that it was not Martini at all but some illegally distilled Calvados that the guy had made on his farm. I quite liked the stuff, it gave a warm/ burning sensation on the way down and was very flavoursome  but most of the attendees at the party found it way too strong and ended up donating their glasses to me. After a while, I thought I was beginning to feel a bit sick and decided I ought to repair to the gents. I say I thought I was feeling sick but it turned out to be the mother and father of all burps! This was the only time in my entire life that a drink burned on the way down and its vapour burned on the way back up! It was indeed fortunate that there was nobody with a naked flame nearby! Having established that I was not feeling sick after all, what did I do? You've guessed it, I went back upstairs for more of the same. To date, it has been the only time that Mrs Martian has had to undress me and help me into bed! (No, not in THAT way, you horrible lot in the cheap seats!)

Martian 👽

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Martian said:

To date, it has been the only time that Mrs Martian has had to undress me and help me into bed!

Gidday, aren't you the lucky one. I once had a bed made for me - on the bathroom floor! ☹️ It turned out that the precaution was not required, but I guess it was better to play safe. I didn't even have a hangover. 🙂 

Enjoy the Gargleburp/blaster/burp (whatever).

Oh, and as an aside, the wings of the box kite's looking quite good. 👍 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Great for cleaning gummed up carburetors and fuel injectors, I hear!

Mike

And also mouth and teeth on the morning after....

3 hours ago, Martian said:

Ah, 80% Stroh rum, now there's a blast from the past or when I used to be able to get hold of it, a blast from the Martian's assorted orifices! More like a Pangalactic Gurgleburp than Pangalactic Gargleblaster ! 

And airbrushes and anything else you might want dissolved/sanitised. I am given to understand that some people use it as a hand sanitiser these days.

Actually, this reminds me of a party I attended with some French modellers on the Saturday night of Scale Modelworld once. One of the French chaps who was a farmer for a living, was handing round what purported to be a litre and a half bottle of "Martini". It transpired that it was not Martini at all but some illegally distilled Calvados that the guy had made on his farm. I quite liked the stuff, it gave a warm/ burning sensation on the way down and was very flavoursome  but most of the attendees at the party found it way too strong and ended up donating their glasses to me. After a while, I thought I was beginning to feel a bit sick and decided I ought to repair to the gents. I say I thought I was feeling sick but it turned out to be the mother and father of all burps! This was the only time in my entire life that a drink burned on the way down and its vapour burned on the way back up! It was indeed fortunate that there was nobody with a naked flame nearby! Having established that I was not feeling sick after all, what did I do? You've guessed it, I went back upstairs for more of the same. To date, it has been the only time that Mrs Martian has had to undress me and help me into bed! (No, not in THAT way, you horrible lot in the cheap seats!)

Martian 👽

Oh my Dear Alien

Sooo, you also tried the "pétrole normand" I've had a bottle of it... Tasty !!

Kinda like the Irish potteen with a flavour....What a great bunch of experienced party goers in here...:rofl2:

CC

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Martian said:

(No, not in THAT way, you horrible lot in the cheap seats!)

Speaking on behalf of the assembled band of brothers in the Naughty Corner, we strongly protest that remark- besides, seeing all those tentacles exposed and in the flesh, we would have been afraid of contacting flash blindness!  :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, aren't you the lucky one. I once had a bed made for me - on the bathroom floor! ☹️ It turned out that the precaution was not required, but I guess it was better to play safe. I didn't even have a hangover. 🙂 

Enjoy the Gargleburp/blaster/burp (whatever).

Oh, and as an aside, the wings of the box kite's looking quite good. 👍 Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. Very caring of Mrs Ambrose. I suspect that Mrs Martian didn't do that because she didn't want to break her neck stumbling over me in the night!

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sooo, you also tried the "pétrole normand" I've had a bottle of it... Tasty !!

I've been around a bit CC.

11 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Speaking on behalf of the assembled band of brothers in the Naughty Corner, we strongly protest that remark

Surely you mean "We resemble that remark"?

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Not with CC looking over my shoulder, I don't!

Mike

Sorry about that but we had to put him back in the naughty corner as it had lost much of its "Je ne sais quoi" while he was away.

Remooseful (Well not very) of Mars👽

• Haha 4

I am quite looking forward to having a bash at general melchett's tri-plane.

You leave my Tri-plane alone, if anyone's going to bash it, it'll be me...or Darling, if he's a very good boy. 

Look at all that Martian angst, 'who nicked me last bottle of rocket fuel? I need that, to get ome'....tentacles knotted, dukes at the ready, eye-stalks flapping impotently in the breeze...(almost certainly CC's doing)....Not sure how he made to the exit to be honest, let alone to his spaceship, the 'SS Total Insanity', (parked in the disabled bay illegally I may add) and then on to Mars via Betelgeuse, for a Vogan Vindaloo and deep-fried Bugblatter Beast of Tral. 

49063210378_2f0f03d5d5_b.jpg

• Haha 5

"Ah yes- I remember it well..."

Some of it.

I wonder why every picture of Telford I ever saw has a suspiciously Paul R figure a'lurking somewhere in the background?

Suddenly the marbled wings become airy canvas...

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, general melchett said:

You leave my Tri-plane alone, if anyone's going to bash it, it'll be me...or Darling, if he's a very good boy. 

Look at all that Martian angst, 'who nicked me last bottle of rocket fuel? I need that, to get ome'....tentacles knotted, dukes at the ready, eye-stalks flapping impotently in the breeze...(almost certainly CC's doing)....Not sure how he made to the exit to be honest, let alone to his spaceship, the 'SS Total Insanity', (parked in the disabled bay illegally I may add) and then on to Mars via Betelgeuse, for a Vogan Vindaloo and deep-fried Bugblatter Beast of Tral. 

If I had had a Vogon Vindaloo and a load of CC's rocket fuel, it was extremely unwise, nay, dangerous of @Terry1954 to be stood directly behind me! Where were the "Elf and Safety police?

Tummy Rumblings of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Martian said:

If I had had a Vogon Vindaloo and a load of CC's rocket fuel, it was extremely unwise, nay, dangerous of @Terry1954 to be stood directly behind me! Where were the "Elf and Safety police?

Tummy Rumblings of Mars 👽

Indeed, the unfortunate gentleman sat at the table behind seems to be suffering from the after effects!

Ian

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Indeed, the unfortunate gentleman sat at the table behind seems to be suffering from the after effects!

Ian

Not quite, I think he was suffering from the effects of this:

49063937577-2ac49d7d81-b.jpg

Word is that he has never been the same since and is now trying to crowdfund a trip to The planet Psychosis Seven for a course of intensive therapy with Dr Gag Halfront.  

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

No, he's just used his Martian powers to freeze time while he trundles about the halls looking for that lost bottle of CC's Shateau Hydrazene V2, 1944.

Word is that he has never been the same since and is now trying to crowdfund a trip to The planet Psychosis Seven for a course of intensive therapy with Dr Gag Halfront.  

Au contraire my dear Martian, things have now changed dramatically, it now seems that Halfront requires treatment for the PTSD he's suffered after being shown images from that day, so to help him out, I'm setting up a 'Go fund yourself' for him, poor chap, there's only so much a highly psensitive psychotic psychoanalyst from Psychosis Seven can take, after all...

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2021 at 8:48 AM, Martian said:

Martian 👽

something like this ???

214982145_995811831245304_3831534155838964081_n

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 4