LOT TU-134A in 1/144

The all white livery of the Polish national airline LOT brings out very well the elegant contours of the Tupolev Tu-134A. This jet in various East European liveries was a very familiar sight at European airports in the 1960's and 70's. In my mind The TU-134 was one of the best looking Soviet manufactured airliners.

I built the model from an excellent, tamigawa quality 1/144 scale Zvezda kit. The livery decals were a combination of various sets: Avia Decals, F-DCAL and the very genuine looking, three dimensional glass nose cone decal from Ascensio.

The cabin windows, the windscreen and the nose cone of the kit were open so I had to putty and sand them closed. I sprayed the plane with white Tamiya fine surface primer which I then covered with Tamiya clear gloss varnish. The metal areas are Alclad Polished aluminium. Humbrol and Vallejo colours were also applied to smaller details.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
  • Like 39

3 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Nicely done! :clap2:

That nose decal is indeed will done, especially as you're drawn to that feature on a commercial aircraft. 

Thank you!

You're quite right. It was a special feature in some Eastern airliners, possibly for using the planes as bombers in a situation of war.

Einar

Another splendid model Einar, thanks for sharing. The Zvezda Tu-134 is an excellent kit and you've done it justice. If you ever think of building another one Authentic Airliners have a lovely set of cockpit and cabin windows.

:goodjob:

Dave G

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Another splendid model Einar, thanks for sharing. The Zvezda Tu-134 is an excellent kit and you've done it justice. If you ever think of building another one Authentic Airliners have a lovely set of cockpit and cabin windows.

:goodjob:

Dave G

Thanks Dave, a very good hint about the decals👍👍

Cheers,

Einar

13 minutes ago, Einar said:

Thanks Dave, a very good hint about the decals👍👍

Cheers,

Einar

I just visited the AA decals site. Had I only known about the Tu-134 decals beforehand!! Well next model then!

Einar

Great model! I remeber these very well from '80s, coming down to landing over my home in Warsaw Southern suburbs. Fathers of my two friends have been captains of these, before they converted to Tu 154M and then to Boeings 767 after the fall of communism.

Due to bomber's station in the nose Tu 134 was called "passenger carrier" - and really it was some way able to be converted into bomber, or at least paratroop plane. Those commies...

Polish Airline LOT scheme looks great!

It looked like this (plane on the photo is Polish commie govt "air force one" not the airline one)
spacer.png

Edited by GrzeM
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much GrzeM!

It was fantastic to hear your memories. Thanks for sharing them👍👍

Cheers,

Einar

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Einar said:

Thank you very much GrzeM!

It was fantastic to hear your memories. Thanks for sharing them👍👍

Cheers,

Einar

..so was the "Air Force One" in the picture the personal plane of Wojciech Jaruzelski?

22 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Tupolev Tu-134!

Saluti

Giampiero

Grazie mille Giampiero!

Einar

Superb Tupolev there Einar.

I have a soft spot for Soviet airliners,so this gets an extra 👏👏👍 from me.

I miss those days,when these aircrafts were frequent visitors to our Swiss airports...

Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Superb Tupolev there Einar.

I have a soft spot for Soviet airliners,so this gets an extra 👏👏👍 from me.

I miss those days,when these aircrafts were frequent visitors to our Swiss airports...

Thanks for sharing

Thank you very much Alex!!👍👍

Einar