Air Wales ATR 42-300 in 1/144

Here is the PAS Models resin ATR 42 in the livery of Air Wales circa 2005.

It’s a sort of therapy model, a quick, easy build to try to restore my mojo after a whole run of failed and stalled projects had left me totally “scunnered” (as we say in Scotland) and with serious thoughts of quitting the hobby. The idea was suggested by my wife and I'm very grateful for her interest and encouragement during what has been a depressing and unproductive period on the modelling front.

The build was straightforward, problem-free and largely OOB. Some of the panel lines were, putting it politely, rough and ready and Mr Surfacer 500 dealt with the worst. The undercarriage is chunky and not 100% accurate but it’s robust and easy to assemble so I left well alone. I added the small doors above the main undercarriage doors from plastic sheet since there is nothing in the kit to represent them. The kit is for the ATR 42-500 and the Air Wales fleet were all early -300s which meant replacing the six blade props with metal four blade ones and adding the “double chin” intakes on the engines.

Painting couldn’t have been easier - overall Halfords white. Decals are by Classic Airlines with a few additions from other sources mainly the kit sheet and leftovers from a Nazca detail sheet. Classic Airlines only provide one registration - G-TAWE.  After Air Wales collapsed G-TAWE went to Venezuelan carrier Conviasa in whose hands it crashed with multiple fatalities. I have a thing about not modelling airliners in which people have died so I changed the registration to G-CDFF which is still happily trundling around the skies of Canada.

Has building the little ATR helped my mojo? My honest answer is I’m not sure but I hope so. Building a model from opening the box to posting in RFI in under four weeks is “blitzbuild” territory for me. My wife's interest helped to keep me motivated and finishing it has definitely felt good. I’ve decided to make a concentrated effort to complete at least three of the stalled models and I’ll see what happens after that.

Thanks for looking and as always comments and constructive criticism are welcome. 

Dave G

51261544353_4e6a94d584_b.jpg

51262087789_36dce8a8bb_b.jpg

51262387305_1bcaf336de_b.jpg

51262387455_3e1eb661b8_b.jpg

• Like 33

Really beautiful build Dave.

Nice little ATR and the PAS kit looks better than the Italeri offering that I built some time ago.

I never heard of this airline before,so this is a very nice addition to the airliner front here on BM.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Like 1

Very nice way to regain the mojo and the end result is stunning in the most wonderful way. I suppose all of us go through periods where our builds stall or just plain won't come together and it's all kinds of frustrating. Great to hear you have such support from the most significant person in your life.  

• Like 1

That's a cracking little model, really nicely finished!

Could I ask where you got the props from please? I've got the Italeri kit and the Classic decals and as Air Wales was our 'local' airline it's one I've wanted to do for a while, but Italeri also only give the later props. 

Top job on a fine looking airliner!

Keith

Edit - also forgot to ask if you could tell me where you got the decals to change the reg - I'd like to do SSAE - for obvious reasons.... :)

• Like 1

Great result Dave.  I certainly hope your mojo is well and truly restored as it would be a shame not having your excellent builds to enjoy.

Looking forward to the next one off the Skodadriver production line.

Chris.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments everyone - much appreciated as always :)

13 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Really beautiful build Dave.

Nice little ATR and the PAS kit looks better than the Italeri offering that I built some time ago.

I never heard of this airline before,so this is a very nice addition to the airliner front here on BM.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Thanks Alex. The Italeri ATR 42 is a bit of a mess, goodness knows how they got it so wrong. The F-RSIN kit is much better but the fin is too thick and I've no idea how that could be corrected.

Air Wales only operated between 2000 and 2006 and most of their routes were within the UK. Although I'm Scottish born and bred I have significant Welsh ancestry and an aeroplane with a Welsh dragon on the tail will always get my attention!

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's a cracking little model, really nicely finished!

Could I ask where you got the props from please? I've got the Italeri kit and the Classic decals and as Air Wales was our 'local' airline it's one I've wanted to do for a while, but Italeri also only give the later props. 

Top job on a fine looking airliner!

Keith

Edit - also forgot to ask if you could tell me where you got the decals to change the reg - I'd like to do SSAE - for obvious reasons.... :)

Thanks Keith.  The props on my model are from Aeroclub and no longer available. They were in my stash for years. Welsh Models have ATR 42 props among their accessories. They are almost certainly four blade but it would be worth checking first. Densil's wife is unwell again and he is having a difficult time just now so don't expect a quick response but he should get back to you eventually.

The registration letters were from the spares box. I think they were leftovers from an RCS sheet I used on a Flybe Q400 a few years ago. I would gladly have offered you what's left but unfortunately there are no "S"s so it wouldn't be any use. You could have a look at military serial lettering on Hannants website - it's surprising what can be borrowed or adapted.

10 hours ago, stringbag said:

Great result Dave.  I certainly hope your mojo is well and truly restored as it would be a shame not having your excellent builds to enjoy.

Looking forward to the next one off the Skodadriver production line.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, that's much appreciated. It's a fact of modelling life that an odd build will go wrong from time to time but when it gets to the point that everything you're working on has stalled or gone terminally wrong it doesn't do much for morale. Building the ATR was definitely a good idea (thanks Ann!) and I have re-started work on a Viscount and an A310. Both have some way to go but hopefully they'll make it to RFI eventually along with a 787 which is trailing some distance behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

The props on my model are from Aeroclub and no longer available. They were in my stash for years.

Thanks Dave - I'm an idiot, I've got a couple of sets of Aeroclub props in the spares box somewhere that I'd completely forgetten about - hopefully they'll be the right type!

Thanks also for the info re the decals, I was hoping someone had done a new sheet of civil font reg letters. I've got plenty of military sheets so shall have a look through them.

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

an aeroplane with a Welsh dragon on the tail will always get my attention!

Mine too!! :)

Thanks again, hope to see your Viscount and Airbus soon,

Keith

• Like 1