Red Arrows Hawk

The cockpit supplied in the kit is somewhat lacking in detail.spacer.png

I did purchase a resin replacement, but its a while ago and I can't remember where it was from. The detail is a somewhat of an improvement.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Although the instructions could be better!

p?i=d384744faedec388360e0c893e5483bc

• Like 6

That resin cockpit set does look good.  I like the Airfix Hawk kit even though you know the intakes will takes some sorting and the wing fit can have gaps.  The flaps down option is nice though.  As to painting the set cord - you are braver than me if you do.  I wonder about fine tip acrylic pens for jobs like that

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bar side said:

That resin cockpit set does look good.  I like the Airfix Hawk kit even though you know the intakes will takes some sorting and the wing fit can have gaps.  The flaps down option is nice though.  As to painting the set cord - you are braver than me if you do.  I wonder about fine tip acrylic pens for jobs like that

Fine tip pens, great idea. One on order, it says tomorrow but this is New Zealand so I'll believe it when it shows up!

• Like 1

Whilst waiting for the pen to be delivered on to the flaps. I decided not to go down the path of cutting into the wing and installing flap extended. Turns out there is an error in the instructions, the part numbers of the flap actuators are reversed between retracted and extended.

p?i=bdddf0fef123780ad3eca632051a3bfe

The question I now have is whether to install all of these now and have problems later with the decals or wait and fit them later and run the risk of having to fill any gaps once it is all painted?

p?i=039716f0a041a9dc67c3cc2f32c1f899

p?i=08a795d430e117f25e69398837950c50

I've fitted the outer most ones as these are clear of the decals

• Like 2

I did wonder about leaving those hinges off until after decals are on.  I know it sounds strange but getting the white hinge painted to match the white decal can be tricky too.  The temptation is to spray the white on but that isn’t an easy option.  I did a 1/48 G-FIRE kit earlier this year and primed it white, then taped of the areas for the white decals.  Then red on and I did put the decals on top as they have a central stripe too.  I also sprayed the spinner.

LZPZKFK.jpg

These are my two Hawks, one flaps up & one down.  She ended up in trainer red & white

Da8H66o.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work Andy.   The cockpit set is a huge improvement.  I’ve a couple of these that have sat unfinished for quite a while and you’ve reminded me that the fit in places left a good deal to be desired.  I’ll be very interested in how the acrylic pen works on the MDC; The MDC is a right pain in this scale…..:)

So, as expected, next day delivery in NZ really meant next day shipping and it will arrive at some point in the future, but only 6 days before this arrived...

p?i=e025d0993e90b9e7a7fed9311e6e2d4b

Initially the lines were far too thick but a little thinner and a cotton bub cleaned it up quite nicely (in my humble opinion, having never done this before)

p?i=dc2172104eff11dc95959402ab6a8236

• Like 5