"Civilizing" a Bedford Tactical Refueler

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice work there fella

Thanks so much!  There is some progress on this and numerous challenges ahead!

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

These look great, what a cracking job so far.

Thanks so much!  Greatly appreciate your encouragement on this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Could have done with you on a certain Dart Herald a la Marquette.

I would have been useless to you!  You seem to have it under "control.

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Great conversion - these JB kits are very nice and the TK goes for a bomb on the 'bay nowadays.

I'd love to see your work, if it's displayed somewhere here!  Yes, very nice kits, and Airfix also produced them for a bit.  Mine was from a local seller in the States, so I didn't pay that much for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I applied Tamiya Pure White from a rattle can on the upper surfaces of the tanks, the pump station, and the cab after masking off the white primer for the yellow areas.  I chose Pure White because it is a rugged paint that can easily withstand masking and polishing.  

I had more difficulty finding a yellow that would roughly match BP's yellow.  Of the five in my inventory, Vallejo's Lemon Yellow seemed to be the best fit when I added a little white.  When it dried, however, it came out a little cold and green-ish, so I added a little bit of Polly-S Rail Box Yellow to warm it up.  See below:

spacer.png

Here are the bits after masking and two coats of yellow.  I removed the Bedford cab's tactical bumper and added a scratchbuilt one, as well as a couple foot plates at the base and a couple "wings" at the top of the fenders that distinguished these TK's from their military MK/MJ cousins:

spacer.png

• Like 2

I scratch-built the tow hitch for the bowser trailer from styrene and a "borrowed" tow-bar from Airfix's Bomber Support Set.  The tow-bar is for the "cookie," which I'm unlikely ever to build up for display--too reminiscent of Syrian "barrel bombs" for my taste. Here's the tow hitch with the front (rotating) part of the trailer:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Question: does anyone know if British Petroleum fuel trucks had a thin black or green line separating the white and yellow areas?  From the photos I've seen, it appears not, but if there's either, I have resources available....  TIA.

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Question: does anyone know if British Petroleum fuel trucks had a thin black or green line separating the white and yellow areas?  From the photos I've seen, it appears not, but if there's either, I have resources available....  TIA.

Silver

-

www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbell50000/4944881007

• Thanks 1

Thanks, fellas!  If I add a line, it'll be a reaaaal thin silver one.  I added a little more Rail Box Yellow to my mix to "warm" the color a bit.

5 hours ago, LaurieS said:

tut two things on the go at the same time.

Very nice project.

Laurie: Thanks so much!  You're most supportive.  As I encounter enforced pauses on one project, I go to the other.  Generally, I allow 48 hours for acrylics to dry before applying additional coats, and sometimes one or two weeks before I mask over them.  

Now I'm contemplating what kind of grey would work well for the chassis and wheel fenders.  

In the Jersey Airport shot, the Bedford appears to have a blue-grey bumper and silver-grey wheel fenders, but this may be the effects of bright sunlight.

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Thanks, fellas!  If I add a line, it'll be a reaaaal thin silver one.  I added a little more Rail Box Yellow to my mix to "warm" the color a bit.

Laurie: Thanks so much!  You're most supportive.  As I encounter enforced pauses on one project, I go to the other.  Generally, I allow 48 hours for acrylics to dry before applying additional coats, and sometimes one or two weeks before I mask over them.  

Now I'm contemplating what kind of grey would work well for the chassis and wheel fenders.  

In the Jersey Airport shot, the Bedford appears to have a blue-grey bumper and silver-grey wheel fenders, but this may be the effects of bright sunlight.

Ahh Alex do not do it. Such a thin line you will get a bit of bleed 🙄

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LaurieS said:

What about a diorama

Hey, Laurie!  Nooooo---not that kind of diorama!  I want it to be more "positive," with this refueler putting gas into an aircraft.  Looking closely at the Jersey Airport photo of the Bedford refueler, I'm thinking a silvery bluish gray will do the trick for bumpers, chassis, and fenders.

34 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Hey, Laurie!  Nooooo---not that kind of diorama!  I want it to be more "positive," with this refueler putting gas into an aircraft.  Looking closely at the Jersey Airport photo of the Bedford refueler, I'm thinking a silvery bluish gray will do the trick for bumpers, chassis, and fenders.

Ha ha I thought not.

I will blow up the photo of the Jersey Airport one & see If I can make some sense of it.

Laurie

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Should have thought of this before Alex.

Better pictures & blown up should give better info.

Lauriehttp://LELRTK.jpg uz4Tpx.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see some colour going on and great work on the bowser tow section. 

Great work,  these will be fantastic when done.

Chris

Thanks, Chris!  I really hope so.  I'll try and do some more work on it this weekend, and perhaps start on the fender color.  Alex

• Like 1

Progress continues on this, albeit slowly.  Here are the small Bedford and trailer components.  I have compromised on accuracy a bit, especially the rear-view mirrors, and I'm taking a guess that the Bedford had gray, not white-painted wheel hubs, whereas the trailer had white hubs.  I painted both exhaust mufflers contained in the tactical refueler kit, just in case I lose one.  Does anyone know where the fire extinguishers were located?  I have a hunch they were on the driver's (right) side, and painted entirely blue for dry chemical.

spacer.png

Here are the big components, all painted up.  I will apply gloss to the yellow areas for decals, then weather the components ever so slightly.  These were not particularly dirty vehicles because they stayed on the ramp.  Still need to hand-paint the pump controls and the hoses; steady hands required!  

spacer.png

Totally transformed!  Tacked together without cement, the tactical refueler and AEC Matador trailer are virtually unrecognizable.  They'll be even less so with decals and other details.

spacer.png

• Like 5