1/48 double - FAA Hellcat MK.II & USN F6F-3. Finished 26/09.

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here are my entries for this GB - Eduard's 1/48 MK.I/MK.II dual combo. I picked this up for an absolute steal on ebay and glad I did as the plastic and detail throughout looks fantastic. Of course, being a dual combo, there's enough for two kits. I had initially just wanted to build a FAA Mk.II, but I then saw some lovely USN decals on Hannants (which were nearly the same as what I paid for this kit to give you an idea of the bargain I managed to get!) so I'll be doing a USN F6F-3 too.

The FAA machine will be in the markings of 1844 Naval Air Squadron, flying off HMS Indomitable in the Pacific in 1945. Indomitable's Hellcats accounted for 40 enemy aircraft downed during their Pacific campaign. JX814 was flown by Sub Lt W.M.C Foster who became one of the few Hellcat aces in the FAA after downing 5 Japanese aircraft during Operations to secure Okinawa. JX814 was subsequently downed by AA fire from allied ships. (On a side note I'm a bit ashamed to say that this is my first FAA model, ever! I do have plenty in the stash to make up for it though - two Sea Harriers, Phantom, Sea King, Wessex...)

The USN machine will be in the markings of VF-27, flying off the USS Princeton in October 1944 and flown by Ensign Gordon Arthur Stanley, who would be credited with 8 victories. This aircraft was lost when the Princeton was sunk by a Torpedo on 24th October, 1944.

51255147418_84558ae0dd_b.jpg

51255147258_9a74ca99b1_b.jpg

51255983880_54434c5bc8_b.jpg

51255983640_a2b6b278df_b.jpg

The lovely HGW decals for the VF-27 scheme:

51254941306_6bb50d9102_b.jpg

51255983275_11081217ae_b.jpg

My first Hellcats too I should mention :lol:

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

• Like 10

A double treat :thumbsup: Always nice to know something of the pilots who flew these machines and the two different schemes will make for an interesting comparison. Also a good way to open your collection of FAA subjects :D 

• 1 month later...

Finally made a start on these - needed to get a move on to get the interest going for them again as it looks like over committed to number of GBs. Anyway, cockpits painted up, given some silver dry brushing and a wash, then the etch fitted. I admit I cheated a bit here and didn't add every bit; mostly because a lot can't be seen and partly because it's too fiddly!

FAA MK.II:

51364085122_d11231e098_b.jpg

USN F6F-3:

51365856295_17cc9198e9_b.jpg

Fuselage halves also prepped, with the necessary cut in the centre to add the fuel tank. MK.II at the top, F6F-3 below (the windows at the rear make this one easy to spot).

51364082592_5870be596f_b.jpg

Not much, but it's perked my interest in the subject up again. I'll do some small bits and pieces as I work to get the F-16 completed over the next week or so. Then I've just a Rafale to start, then the F-4 GB... and F-14 GB :lol:

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 double - FAA Hellcat MK.II & USN F6F-3. Update 08/08.
19 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Great start.  Should the fuselage aft of the seat frame be in Grumman Grey for the -3?

Good question mate; I’ve no idea! The instructions went with the interior green so that will suffice for me.

I’ve just noticed that the F6F-3 I’m making has the later style cowling - parts J3 & J4, which are already being used for the MK II.

So I can change my decal choice, which isn’t a great option as I’m a big fan of the sharks mouth or can try and source a later cowling.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

I’ve just noticed that the F6F-3 I’m making has the later style cowling - parts J3 & J4, which are already being used for the MK II.

So I can change my decal choice, which isn’t a great option as I’m a big fan of the sharks mouth or can try and source a later cowling.

I think I might have a spare set if you need them..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A great start on these Dave, the completed cockpits look very nice indeed.

Thanks mate!

19 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I think I might have a spare set if you need them..

Cheers for the offer but @Bbdave has kindly sorted me with a spare.

• Like 3

A little more progress today. Both fuselages closed up. Fit was not bad, but did end up with a nasty seam both top and bottom. Some filler needed and careful sanding to follow.

51368644820_bfea16d6be_b.jpg

51368644565_aa7efcd872_b.jpg

I also built up the wings. For some reason, the flaps on those for the MK.II did not sit very well, but when the wings are dry fitted to the fuselage, they do 🤔. So I'll fit the wings to the MK.II fuselage first then pop in the flaps. No issues with the F6F-3 for whatever reason (bottom);

51368370744_2dc6067b87_b.jpg

I've always liked the Hellcat and it's size and chunkiness compared to my recent Spitfire, Hurricane and ME-109 is something to marvel at!

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 7

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 double - FAA Hellcat MK.II & USN F6F-3. Update 09/08.
12 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

I thought the Hellcat had a seam on the top spine.

Dave

Thanks mate, it wasn't clear in the instructions. The seam seems overly heavy to me so I'll be gentle with the sanding so hopefully it won't all disappear.

A little more done. Cleaned up the filler and sanded back the upper seams just a bit. They should hopefully look ok under paint. Rudder, arrestor hook and stabilisers all fitted.

51369517181_57c84d429f_b.jpg

51368757372_3c10da05cc_b.jpg

Fuel tanks built up:

51369516701_964bf8a150_b.jpg

The fit of the forward arms wasn't great but thankfully this won't be seen too much once fitted. I was tempted to buy resin replacements with the correct horizontal seem around the tanks but decided to keep them OOB to keep things moving along.

Next stage will be to get the engines assembled and cowlings fitted.

More soon and stay safe

Dave 

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 double - FAA Hellcat MK.II & USN F6F-3. Update 10/08.

A little more to show. Wings are on:

51381090320_600a825226_b.jpg

51381090050_283d44bff7_b.jpg

Seams were also checked with some leftover black in the airbrush. They look fine so far!

Late type cowling arrived thanks to @Bbdave. Both cowlings then assembled. Some filler needed as the fit is a bit iffy. I'll undoubtedly lose some rivet detail when fixing this up but I can live with that.

51380314878_277c8b38b3_b.jpg

I didn't realise just how big the Hellcat was...

51380818369_cfd4be4918_b.jpg

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 double - FAA Hellcat MK.II & USN F6F-3. Update 15/08.
2 hours ago, shortCummins said:

sit her next to a Corsair and she'll become small again 🤣

looking good 👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks mate! I do have a Corsair somewhere :lol:

1 hour ago, Bbdave said:

Glad to see they arrived safe, saves them languishing in my bits draw.

Dave

Much appreciated mate!

Tidy progress on these two Dave :thumbsup:  It's surprising just how large this single-engined single-seat fighter was and particularly visible when seen beside your F-16!

On 8/16/2021 at 4:00 PM, Col. said:

Tidy progress on these two Dave :thumbsup:  It's surprising just how large this single-engined single-seat fighter was and particularly visible when seen beside your F-16!

Thanks mate. Yes, I didn't realise how big they were!

A bit more done. The engines were built up and painted. No where near as detailed as some of the excellent examples in this GB. but I'm content! 

51389168238_e74ed861f2_b.jpg

Cowlings built up. Some clean up needed and I had to run some Mr Dissolved putty along the seam lines on the inside.

51388155042_d4bf8cdcbb_b.jpg

Fitted:

51389167193_4cd3ed76ed_b.jpg

Hoping to get the windscreens on tomorrow and a few other bits before starting to mask up.

More soon

Dave

• Like 5

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 double - FAA Hellcat MK.II & USN F6F-3. Update 19/08.

Windscreens on with cockpits all masked up:

51390985893_eeaa19f4bd_b.jpg

51390985638_e041d85bd7_b.jpg

51390730926_1e9a2d91f2_b.jpg

A bit of sanding was needed just at then sides where the windscreens meet the fuselage but nothing major. I'm planning on fitting the landing gear next, as this all appears to be the colour of the lower fuselage so it would save me a bit of time when painting. Just hope I don't break it off with my ham fists :lol:

Interestingly, this boxing doesn't make reference to resin wheels, which I believe later boxings had. Perhaps this was the first run, which may also explain some poor parts of the instructions :hmmm:

Feeling more positive that I'll get both these done in time! Saying that, I'm still considering adding some resin fuel tanks...

More soon

Dave

• Like 7