Grumman F6F Hellcat reference

• 3 weeks later...

In F6F Hellcat in Detail & Scale, the following comments are made about the F5F-5 early and late variants:

• Windows behind cockpit were deleted in the second production block, somewhere between BuNo. 71492 and 71992. The Eduard Early kit includes these windows while the Late kit does not.
  • Deletion of the forward of the two recognition lights on the spine of the aircraft beginning with BuNo. 70289. Note, the Eduard late kit has both recognition lights.

An important note if you're going to build a night fighter variant, there's a discussion of the various errors made in kits regarding the radar scope and pod. I just skimmed that part, but it's not clear any kit correctly depicts both.

And oh, the love they have for that Airfix 1/24 kit! :wub:

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Like 3

A question about Cabin Sliding Hood Control as shown in the Grumman Pilots [sic] Handbook.

This photo shows the handle fully forward. My first thought would have been forward-closed/aft-opened. But I would imagine the canopy open during the photo shoot.

canopy-slider.jpg

I know, I'm asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but...ask I must.