Dragon 1/72 Weapons under-Scale?

WARDOG

Hi All,

I have a number of Dragon air-to-air, air-to-ground, and rocket and bomb sets bought years ago to up-date my Soviet/Russian Kits.  They are nice and while not quite Result quality, they do fit the bill at a (then) reasonable cost.

My question is; Are their missiles a little "small" in length and diameter?  Not having access to reliable drawings or dimensions, I'm just not sure!

Any and all input appreciated,

WARDOG

That is a good question. I bought those sets years ago when new. There weren't any drawings available to me(or known of) about Soviet/Russian weapons. So, I didn't and don't know. But, there probably are now of many of the different types; good luck in your search.

Joe

On 6/20/2021 at 7:32 PM, WARDOG said:

Hi All,

I have a number of Dragon air-to-air, air-to-ground, and rocket and bomb sets bought years ago to up-date my Soviet/Russian Kits.  They are nice and while not quite Result quality, they do fit the bill at a (then) reasonable cost.

My question is; Are their missiles a little "small" in length and diameter?  Not having access to reliable drawings or dimensions, I'm just not sure!

Any and all input appreciated,

WARDOG

You can compare some of the ordinance with ICM and Zvezda kits

For R-27 there are three variants in the box IR, SARH and long SARH, if I remember it correctly they were a tad short and skinny

R-73 and R-60 maybe the fins and canard were off, I don't remember if they were skinny or not but they looked ok.

R-23 no comment I probably have a couple of RV Resin but I bought them after selling Dragon Air to Air weapon set

K-13 and it's variants were probably ok for export variants

ATG missiles

Kh-58 was small, period

Kh-25 I don't remember which variant was as there are tons of that, it looked fine but there were no other alternatives

I do probably have one or two ATG Dragon Ordinance box with rockets pods and bombs and I can compare them with Zvezda and Trumpeter kits even though I remember that unguided rockets and rocket pods were kinda ok, no words about bombs

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite

Ciao Luigi,

I appreciate the information.  I did compare the Dragon stuff against the Zvezda and ICM kit and as you say, the Dragon stuff is a little "smallish".  But, I don't entirely trust either manufacturer completely.  I trust Zvezda a little more but I have found differences in weapon sizes in different kit also!

I sure wouldn't mind having some of the beautiful resin weapons that are out there but I fear the budget for them would be higher than the real weapons budget of Uzbekistan! 🙂

Miller Grazie,

WARDOG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Silverkite said:

You can compare some of the ordinance with ICM and Zvezda kits

(...) 

Kh-58 was small, period

If you make your comparision to the old ICM weapons kit, the Kh-58's in that one were grossly oversized. 

The best 1/72nd ones are those in ICM's  MiG-25BM Weasel kit.

Cheers,

Andre

9 hours ago, Hook said:

If you make your comparision to the old ICM weapons kit, the Kh-58's in that one were grossly oversized. 

The best 1/72nd ones are those in ICM's  MiG-25BM Weasel kit.

Cheers,

Andre

I did compare old ICM weapons with whatever Zvezda had, especially for the Kh-58 I think I had some side views or plans found online and pictures of it mounted on Mig-25 pylons and realized it was sadly small and at that time it wasn't worth the risk of buying Mig-25Rsomething conversion from Armycast or Armory I don't remember, modify said conversion, add even more mods on Condor/ICM Mig-25 as I wasn't sure if I needed Hasegawa wings or not and when the BM conversion was available I tried to purchase one, never got a reply about their stock and waited till present days to fetch ICM Mig-25BM

Luigi

On 6/25/2021 at 11:35 PM, Silverkite said:

at that time it wasn't worth the risk of buying Mig-25Rsomething conversion from Armycast or Armory I don't remember, modify said conversion

Yes, we're really lucky these days with the ICM gems.  Only just a few years ago we had to make do with the old and inaccurate Hasegawa kit and expensive-if-you-could-find-them conversions!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1