1/2700000 Star Wars Bandai Death Star II & 1/14500 Bandai Star Destroyer Diorama

Hi all, well here is the finished build of both these great Bandai kits. I wanted the ship to appear suspended in space, so to achieve this I exited the wiring through the bow (front) section by means of a 2.5mm tube that also had a section of wire rod protruding into the hull.

This tube was super glued into a 1 inch block of neoprene foam block that was glued to the back of the wall print. To create the space background, I used black corex sheet which was covered in black felt. The horizon was lit up by gluing some blue LED strip lighting to the back of the corex sheet.

The Star Destroyer was tricky to add lighting that looked in scale, but I am happy with how it came out in the end. As I did with the Death Star, I scraped away the internal plastic to allow light to show through.

The side trenches came in solid plastic with only minimum detailing, so I replaced them with fibre optic strand, then cut up small sections of the strands and epoxy glued them to add side detailing and still allow light to shine through.

The side trenches each had some narrow-LED strip glued down each side of the lower hull sections. 2mm warm white LED's were then added to the hangar bay's areas and the upper decks, there was enough light inside to also light up the ion engines.

Once the ship was completed, I sprayed it all over with black primer to light block, then a few coats of white primer. I then sealed the ship with Tamiya flat clear LP-23, finally I used Abteilung 502 light grey and Starship filth oils, mixed together to give a light wash over the whole model, followed by a final coat of flat clear.

CByyKlF.jpg
nEy0LSh.jpg
f0vdmyR.jpg
4WKIvgu.jpg
MxHWhkV.jpg
f5Ypsk1.jpg
QznugUW.jpg
kcFQ3Yi.jpg
Jxkr2JN.jpg
egaIE0h.jpg
qnSlKYY.jpg
nklxdZB.jpg
lF6h5NR.jpg
vjPglaW.jpg
9ddBrym.jpg
jRSHf03.jpg
1osr7Ri.jpg
DJ82yTd.jpg

The last picture gives you a clue to my next Star Wars project which will include this picture diorama build as a backdrop.

KfhMGia.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Impressive, very impressive. I thought it was Bandai’s foot-long Star Destroyer until the Duracell revealed the true nature of your modelling force. I have one of those small Star Destroyer kits. I’d love to know how you got so many pinpoints of light coming out of it. I can speculate, but I’d love to know how you did it.

12 minutes ago, ScaleModelHobbyist said:

Impressive, very impressive. I thought it was Bandai’s foot-long Star Destroyer until the Duracell revealed the true nature of your modelling force. I have one of those small Star Destroyer kits. I’d love to know how you got so many pinpoints of light coming out of it. I can speculate, but I’d love to know how you did it.

Thanks for the nice comments. I used a 1/48 scale Riveting wheel tool, just rolled it over the painted areas. Then the light can shine through at more or less a scale fashion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lee Chambers said:

Thanks for the nice comments. I used a 1/48 scale Riveting wheel tool, just rolled it over the painted areas. Then the light can shine through at more or less a scale fashion.

Very clever. I would not have guessed that, so thanks for sharing, I learned something today! Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...