Blackburn Skua II L2927/A. 803 Naval Air Squadron HMS Ark Royal, Mediterranean, July 1940.

Hi all,

Hot off the bench today

Blackburn Skua II L2927/A. 803 Naval Air Squadron HMS Ark Royal, Mediterranean, July 1940.  

Green Leader and Squadron CO Lt JM Bruen.

Special Hobby 1/48 Kit,

Paint - Hataka / Xtracrylics.

Markings - Mix of kit, spares, generic and made.

Scheme:-  Ark Royal interpretation of the order to paint the undersides of the aircraft Sky (without having seen Sky Paint).

I need to thank @iang for all his time and help in identifying what this aircraft probably looked like..

803 NAS HMS Ark Royal Operation Catapult Mers-el- Kébi (French Algeria).  Dakar

03.07.40.  (1830) Curtis Hawk Damaged.  (1910) Moraine 46 Damaged.  (1930) Breguet Br.521 Damaged.

06.07.40.  Shadowing flying boat Shared Destroyed

09.07.40.  Air strikes against Cagliari planned.  Z506B Shared Destroyed.

02.08.40.  Air strikes against Cagliari.  Z01 Shared Destroyed.

31.08.40.  Operation HATS.  1/3 Cant Z501 Shared Destroyed, ½ S.79 Shared Destroyed, off Balearic Isles.

51260477460_c6970349e1_k.jpg

51259634303_0f7818e437_k.jpg

51260177794_1ba469d4f6_k.jpg

51259634258_22d7900730_k.jpg

51260477340_ef17b03a33_k.jpg

51259437096_b0433a933a_k.jpg

Off now to prep for the Hellcat Group Build in which I’ll be building a Hellcat with a family connection..

Thanks for looking in..

• Like 36

Lovely job. The first kit I built when getting back into the hobby big time a few years ago was their 1/72 offering which built up nicely.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

Really good looking (if that's an adequate expression) Skua! And the simple background is suprisingly effective in setting an atmosphere. Same 'sky' as in the Hurrican photos, I notice… 😉

Nice work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Really good looking (if that's an adequate expression) Skua! And the simple background is suprisingly effective in setting an atmosphere. Same 'sky' as in the Hurrican photos, I notice… 😉

Nice work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim,

Its a very big sky...  😂

• Like 1

That looks the biz,...one of the best Skua model that I have seen,... just right with the colours, especially the blue undersides.

I found one with a huge roundel that I want to build one day, same sqn, with the fuselage code etc,......  

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tonyot said:

That looks the biz,...one of the best Skua model that I have seen,... just right with the colours, especially the blue undersides.

I found one with a huge roundel that I want to build one day, same sqn, with the fuselage code etc,......  

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks Mate, yes it makes a change from S1E and TSS. The TAGs cockpit is all wrong in the model as is the bomb recess.  I only found a reference after I had buttoned up the fuselage (of course).  Guess at some point I’ll just have to build another.  Hellcats next though.  One with a family connection..

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Hi Tony,

Thanks Mate, yes it makes a change from S1E and TSS. The TAGs cockpit is all wrong in the model as is the bomb recess.  I only found a reference after I had buttoned up the fuselage (of course).  Guess at some point I’ll just have to build another.  Hellcats next though.  One with a family connection..

Yeah not the most accurate kit,..... the propeller is all wrong with teeny stubby blades too,...... but better than what we had before! I`ll look forward to the Hellcat`s.  

• Like 2

Damm good. The Skua is not exactly the most charismatic of aeroplanes but your rendition is really excellent. 

Actually it's really impressive. When I zoom in on the photos the attention to detail is superb. 

Brilliant 

• Like 1

Lovely model of ugly airplane [ducking for cover]

In fact I love Skua, it isn't a Spitfire but has a spirit!

BTW, should the Norway April-May 1940 campaign Skuas have blue undersides too?

Edited by GrzeM
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

Lovely model of ugly airplane [ducking for cover]

In fact I love Skua, it isn't a Spitfire but has a spirit!

BTW, should the Norway April-May 1940 campaign Skuas have blue undersides too?

Well I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder -it’s kind an acquired taste (read Marmite)..

For the Norway Campaign the Skua wore the standard S1E camouflage.  Underside Black and white Identification markings were applied.

See L2725 / F below, the mount of Lt WP Lucy.

40427534654_760f2cfe00_k.jpg

40427534354_e01c7596e4_k.jpg

(I must bring it back to the bench and rebuild the alighting gear at the right angle..)

And put gun patches on the new one..

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

How did I miss this beauty ??

Apologizes Phil, but 2021 has been badly shaky for me and my modelling passion sutffered a lot from it.

That's 2 really fine Skuas.... 

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC