First builds for 50yrs

Superb models, I like the clean finishes. Are you airbrushing? I found the new water-based Acrylics a revelation when I returned to modelling a few years ago, clean-up much easier even if you do get some drying in the 'brush when in use!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Yes I am learning my way with acrylics. Invested in a couple of airbrushes paints and washes etc. watched so many utube videos and other peoples builds. I am keeping quiet to the wife how much I have spent. Having worked on these aircraft in my past has given me a heads up with the builds but when I review the models there are some areas that need improving to be accurate. Hopefully My 1/48 892 sqdn build will be better.

I did not want to over weather as I felt that many modelers overdo the panel lining on an aircraft that had close fitting panels.

Edited by Tony G
add to build reply
  • Like 3

Cracking collection. I'm a big fan of the 892 schemes as I grew up near Leuchars where they tended to be based when not aboard Ark. I'd be most interested in more background on these - particularly the Marines machine sporting the 892 tail-flash. 

Most impressive results after such a long absence from the hobby. I presume the FG.1s are Airfix 1/72 ??????

Admirable!

Q

• Thanks 1

892 and PTF (PTF from Yellow Bird kit) phantom were 1/72 Fujimi the 4B was an old Revel kit

I spent five years (one of the first naval personnel) at Leuchars on PTF and later 892 some of the best times of my naval career.

• Like 1

Yes the stars did not notice until after varnish. Also the aircraft numbering is wrong as I could not find the correct ones in 1/72. In my defence it was the first build attempt.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Yes the stars did not notice until after varnish. Also the aircraft numbering is wrong as I could not find the correct ones in 1/72. In my defence it was the first build attempt.

I didn’t spot that! Look forward to seeing more from you!

ATB

Ben

• Like 1

Cheers to all for the warm welcome.

I have quite a list of models to build once the 1/48 phantom is built if I am going to build an example of each aircraft I have worked on.  Wessex’s 1, 3 & 5, lynx 3, 8, super lynx & wildcat, RN Harrier, RN Buccaneer, Gannet and Wessex 3 HMS Antrim, Falkland variant.

I just hope the pubs reopening will not slow me down and the list of jobs that are my wife’s priority do not get in the way to much.

Does anyone know if there was ever model of a Chucker II or shellduck target drone produced

My coming back to the hobby after 20 years was nowhere near as nice as what you've produced. Congratulations and welcome back!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony G said:

I am keeping quiet to the wife how much I have spent.

Me too!

I’ve been away from the hobby for just a little bit longer than you but my current attempts are nowhere near as nice as yours. You obviously have a talent.

• Thanks 1

Those Phantoms look great the RN Phantoms are my favourite. I recommend the Revell 1/48 Phantom as its basically a Hasegawa kit and in a Hasegawa box would cost a lot more! You got the decals down nicely without silvering there, one thing I use to get a really smooth finish is after the primer I rub the model down with 3000 grit micromesh it removes all rough areas that end up with an orange peel look under gloss. I mix acrylic paints with Mr Colour Levelling Thinner I highly recommend that if you haven't already got it, it was recommended to me at a model show in Belfast and I've not looked back it works very well. Just thought I'd mention that in case you didn't know.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

Those Phantoms look great the RN Phantoms are my favourite. I recommend the Revell 1/48 Phantom as its basically a Hasegawa kit and in a Hasegawa box would cost a lot more! You got the decals down nicely without silvering there, one thing I use to get a really smooth finish is after the primer I rub the model down with 3000 grit micromesh it removes all rough areas that end up with an orange peel look under gloss. I mix acrylic paints with Mr Colour Levelling Thinner I highly recommend that if you haven't already got it, it was recommended to me at a model show in Belfast and I've not looked back it works very well. Just thought I'd mention that in case you didn't know.

Hi Deano353

I have managed to picked up both the 1/48 Revel FG2 and the 1/48 Hasegawa FG1 Phantom - Royal Navy.  I was considering building one with a catapult diorama and the other using fibre optics to highlight the cockpit instruments and nav lights.  I was also looking into if I installed a small computer fan in the fuselage and used the fingers off clear protective gloves (tinted) I could simulate reheat.

Thank you for the info for sanding the primer and the leveller which I will be looking into getting.

I have been using the Finish floor polish after painting to try and get a smother finish in the last model and silk varnish on top.

So much has changed since tubes of poly cement and tins of Humbrol enamels it is a steep learning curve

• Like 1

Thats a pretty good idea for the fibre optics I've seen people pit scrunched tinfoil for the reheat with LEDs as well. Also yeah the sanding personally I like a gloss finish on a model and what I find works best is once the primer has been sanded and the surface good to go for paint I check each coat to make sure the finish doesn't get gritty. I also use the floor polish, the best way to get the smoothest application in my experience is to let the initial coat of primer to set for 24 hours and then making sure each subsequent layer is fully dry the orange peel effect happens when the layers aren't fully dry before then next coat is applied. With the floor polish I spray the initial coat and again leave it for 24 hours and then apply about 5 extra layers as well as I prefer the sheen of the gloss over the matt look. On my F-16 I have 5 coats of floor polish and each layer was checked to ensure it was smooth it does take longer than if you were going to apply a Matt coat as you can't really see the orange peel. My F-16 below took about 5 or 6 sessions at the bench to paint get the finish but I black based the model as well and put browns etc into the gray. spacer.pngspacer.png

It's not too shiny but to my eye just right but the good thing I find with floor polish is it's a very gradual shine which makes it easier to get the exact effect you prefer.

Edited by Deano353
Spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

Hi Deano353

That is a beautiful model that gives me something to aspire to.

I was unsure with using the Finish floor polish in the beginning and only used one coat but experience has shown I can build up a smooth finish with multiple coats. I went for a silk finish as RN phantoms were never in a gloss finish.

This why I have joined this group to benefit from the experience of fine modellers like your self. thank you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Hi Deano353

That is a beautiful model that gives me something to aspire to.

I was unsure with using the Finish floor polish in the beginning and only used one coat but experience has shown I can build up a smooth finish with multiple coats. I went for a silk finish as RN phantoms were never in a gloss finish.

This why I have joined this group to benefit from the experience of fine modellers like your self. thank you

No problem at all if I ever need advice on this forum everyone has always helped a lot so ypure in good company on here!

• Thanks 1

I just remembered as well if you hold your airbrush too far from the model the pint can sometimes start to dry before it hits the model and this can also leave a gritty finish there's loads that can cause it to be fair but what I mentioned above was the most prominent reasons took me a while to get a good finish I wanted at first.

• Thanks 1

Hello,Tony - Welcome back to a great hobby and a great forum.

You’ve made a phine job of these models and couldn’t have chosen a better subject! The Phantom is festooned with markings and stencilling and even if the ‘Stars and Bars’ are upside down it doesn’t detract from the excellent finishing work you’ve achieved.A remarkable effort after such a long absence.That oversight could easily be rectified by aftermarket decals should you wish to do so. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.👏😉👍

• Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

Welcome back to this magnificent hobby. Looking at the excellent result, we will hear and see more from you. As mentioned above, the US stars and bars are upside down. I did not notice this, until I went trough all the reply's from the fellow modelers.

And indeed, the best forum on the planet. proud to be a member of this website.

Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands.

• Thanks 1