What aircraft is this? Mystery Cockpit photo really irritating me :-)

Troffa

This will be a time limited thread as it relates to a photo on  sale on ebay.

For the record:

I, nor anyone I that I know is selling this item. 

I was looking for some Lancaster references: Seller says it's a picture of an Avro Lancaster Cockpit- it really isn't. But what is it?

It's a four-engined  transport aircraft, and I think It's a British WW2 era machine as the Pilot has what I believe is the "Standard Six" Instrument group as seen on many things British. Instrument placards in English.  I can't for the life of me think of an aircraft with those little port holes under the cockpit glazing. 

Anyone any ideas? 🙂 

Mystery Cockpit Photo

Not a Lanc and not a Stirling either. That angled corner of the windshield at top left corner  is odd and below it are what looks like two more roundish windows.   I think its something French maybe despite the English placards.  Further more  and lower down on that page is a pic saying Lancaster being bombed up but is a Stirling.... yet again  a case of whoever wrote the captions knows nothing much about aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If not a Stirling perhaps a Sunderland - those large control wheels don't look like standard military issue so something with a flying boat connection?  The cockpit does seem very much British and I'm sure we can rule out anything foreign.  Not that there were a lot of 4-engined aircraft to choose from.

Still not right for a Sunderland though. Its those extra port holes on both sides and that angled 'quarter light' windows??    The DC-8 jet airliner and DC-9 had the same but the subject isn't either of those.  I think something pre -war. and high wig along the lines of AW Ensign or something.

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Still not right for a Sunderland though. Its those extra port holes on both sides and that angled 'quarter light' windows??    The DC-8 jet airliner and DC-9 had the same but the subject isn't either of those.

Agree Paul but very very similar in layout to the Sunderland even some of the instrument layout identical could we be looking at another 

Short's flying boat?

The image of the mystery cockpit is nothing like the Stirling , Sunderland or Lanc! Those port holes don't even resemble the Stirling either.