Airfix Mosquito 72nd Scale New Release

fishplanebeer

As was suspected when this new kit was the basis of an earlier post according to the latest issue of the Airfix magazine (July) the bomb doors are based on those of the TT35 which they scanned in order to produce the kit. As such the bomb doors will not be correct for the BXVI and will need some attention to correct. On the plus side the article confirms the presence of both 'blown and 'blister' canopy sides plus four 500lb bombs.

The other good news is that it sounds from the article that the kit is due very soon.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

Colin, would it be possible to post some comparison photos of the bomb doors between a B.XVI and a TT35 along with an explanation of the differences , for those unfamiliar with the type(s) - like me (at least where the TT35 is concerned)?  If I manage to snag one of the new releases, I'd want to think abut doing it as a 400 Sqn. PR,XVI.

Scott

• Like 2

To be honest all I have to go on is the article in the Airfix magazine which highlighted the fact that the bomb doors were an error on their part (but easily rectified they say), and that in the earlier post on this subject there was a suspicion that Airfix would indeed make this error as they'd based the kit on a scan of the TT.35. It seems this earlier suspicion have proven to be correct which is a pity but obviously at some point after the moulds had been done Airfix became aware of this oversight hence the apology of sorts in the article.

Although I will be buying the kit I'm absolutely no expert on the Mosquito so can't say what the differences were/are between the TT.35 bomb bay and the XVI version but I'm sure there are folks out there who will be able to help in this regard.

The choice of the Mosquito, particularly a two stage merlin version, is to be commended but I'm amazed that such a basic error could have been made by Airfix given the research that you would hope had been done into the type. After all it's highly probable that an operational bomber version would have had a different configuration to that of a target tug!

Regards

Colin.

• Like 2

Just to add that unfortunately I don't possess any drawings/diagrams of the Mosquito at the moment so all that I can add is that bulged bomb bay doors were fitted from the 13th production aircraft onwards for the BXVI and that this type was essentially a presurised version of the earlier B IX. Oh, and the PR XVI was essentially a B XVI but fitted with 3 camera points and extra fuel tanks in the bomb bay.

A drawing/picture would say a thousand words I know but sadly this is all the information I have at present.

Regards

Colin.

This is a little disappointing, however on the plus side its good to see a manufacturer failing on their sword and admitting their error(s). If this is an easy fix, then perhaps a small explanation sheet can be included in the box for those modellers who either don’t buy the Airfix Magazine or are possibly not as clued up on their Mossie’s as they can be. 

I keep reading about Airfix’s insistence that they will not consider a subject unless there is a live and accessible example to scan, however perhaps this type of methodology has gone a little too far and more reliance should be placed on a decent set of plans. Technology will only get you so far, it’s knowing and being intimate with the subject that will bring you accuracy. Let’s just hope that Lidar kit hasn’t scanned a bend in the Chipmunks wing, which appears to be another issue yet to be confirmed or denied until we hold the sprues. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I keep reading about Airfix’s insistence that they will not consider a subject unless there is a live and accessible example to scan, however perhaps this type of methodology has gone a little too far and more reliance should be placed on a decent set of plans. Technology will only get you so far, it’s knowing and being intimate with the subject that will bring you accuracy.

Well, there goes the chance of a new Stirling I suppose. Still there's a Halifax in Canada isn't there? I was hoping for a new BII Series IA but I would make do with a BIII (not too different from a Mk VII).

And I guess when they finally get round to a JU-88 we'll get an R1 as that's what's at Hendon, or is it at Cosford now?

Hopefully the Mosquito won't need much correcting. I'm planning on getting a couple. And if they could see their way clear to doing a BIX later on that would be nice, bring back memories of the old Matchbox kit.

Stuart

I have photos of the TT35 bomb bay from Cosford, I haven't checked drawings but I think the difference is the TT35 has some small bulges and cutouts at the rear of the bomb bay where the bomber was smooth, see below. There may also have been some sort of mounting for the winch which was carried under the bomb bay but that area isn't easy to see. The first of my Mosquito books I looked at says the TT35 was a straightforward conversion of the B35 so I would expect the bomb bay contours to be the same.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The inference from the article is that the kit will be with us very soon so I decided to share as it firms up on/answers some of the comments and suspicions raised when the kit was first highlighted in rumourmonger. 

I'm not sure what differences there are between a B IX and the XVI other than the blown canopy so as the kit also has side blisters as well the conversion should hopefully be quite straightforward, always assuming the B IX had blisters and not flat panels?

Regards

Colin.

• Julien locked this topic