Gloster Nene Meteor

The Nene Meteor was one of the most highly modified of all the test and trials aircraft as it had an F4 style nose, F8 style tail and in addition to the PR10 style long span wings, an increase in the span inboard of the huge nacelles, giving it the longest span of all Meteors. The Nene engines were mounted forward of the wing and modified to enable some thrust to be diverted downwards through a separate jetpipe under the nacelle. It was used for trials into reducing the stalling speed., with only a 10 knot reduction being the best achieved.

The model was produced using left over parts from some of my other Meteor conversions and consists of a Frog F4 fuselage, Matchbox NF11 fin/tailplane and wings, together with scratchbuilt nacelles and additional fins. The markings are home printed.

91f00002-5f95-422e-a04d-f39291f35891.JPG
f0ff41f2-a37a-4f86-94e3-213bcbcd8c7c.JPG

acda6540-0485-439d-81b1-981aa7b9d453.JPG
7a0e6b44-978b-4361-b3e7-3e18a339ad6a.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments.

On 20/06/2021 at 13:58, SafetyDad said:

Nice job! Good to see someone taking the time to produce an interesting prototype like this.

Thanks!

SD

One of a long series of Meteor testbeds and prototypes......

On 21/06/2021 at 01:17, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow!  I had no idea this concept was tested.  It's amazing how big the RR Nene was.  I love your execution, and really appreciate the hangar scene and airfield equipment nearby.

On 21/06/2021 at 11:11, F-32 said:

Over powered by any chance?

That's a great build, very cool indeed.

The Nene was about an extra 8 inches diameter than the Derwent , but was mounted much further forward so part of the thrust could be deflected downwards, under the wing and a much longer than normal jetpipe fitted for the remainder of the thrust. Most of the normal nacelle would have been virtually empty. There was probably about twice the normal thrust with the Nenes but the most highly powered would have been the Sapphire Meteor.

Cheers.

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cheers Mike, it was a lot of work but one that I've always wanted to do. Several coats of primer and lots of rubbing down before any silver paint was allowed near it!

Steve

• Like 1