PRIMER OR NOT ?

twinpin

I bought Tamiya X21 FLAT BASE.   I thought from the name it was a primer but it is for changing Gloss paint to Flat.  Anyone else had experience of this ?

22 minutes ago, twinpin said:

Just wondering why it is called  FLAT BASE.  I think it should be called Matting agent

The real meaning probably got lost in translation.  It's basically just finely ground pumice in a suspension medium.  You add it to your gloss paint in moderation to flat it down.  Some folks use it on Klear to turn it matt, but I don't see much point in that :shrug:

In answer to the question in the topic title, prime.  Priming is good.  It gives your model a stable start and a standardised surface on which to build your later colours.  it also shows up any defects in your preparation, which gives you the chance to fix things before you get to painting.  I would steer clear of acrylic primers myself, aws they're not as sticky as the likes of Alclad primers, which are lacquers.  You can sand lacquer primers much easier because they're tougher :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, twinpin said:

Just wondering why it is called  FLAT BASE.  I think it should be called Matting agent

Because it is a base :) Add pigment and you get a paint

If you wish to use flattened Future/Klear/Pledge with Future Shine etc. as a final coat here are a couple of suggested ratios of Tamiya flat base for different effects:
       1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
       1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat
       1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin

(From "The Complete future" at http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I always prime*. I now always prime metal with Mr Metal Primer. Everything else, including primed metal, is given a coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner.

* well, not clear parts

On 21/06/2021 at 16:31, Mike said:

Some folks use it on Klear to turn it matt, but I don't see much point in that

I think the advantage is that Klear is inherently more robust and quicker drying than some varnishes - and less prone to pick up finger marks in my experience. The other one is that you have an infinite range of shininess/mattness available to you. If I want really matt I will use Galeria - but often I want something more semi-matt. At the other end, I don't like the look of a pure gloss and will tone it down a bit with just a little flat base.

Cheers

Colin

On 6/25/2021 at 5:45 AM, twinpin said:

Still a bit confused.  As a matting agent is there a base in it ?

Not sure why it's called "base." It is merely an additive, to be mixed in with gloss acrylics to make them flat/matte.