Bristol Blenheim crew hatches

pacificmustang

G’day all

currently building  the very enjoyable Airfix 48 scale Blenheim my 1F, which I’m completing as a bomber. The gunners entry hatch ahead of the turret is provided as a separate part so I would like to pose it open. Can anyone provide me guidance on which way it opened, outwards, or did it hinge downwards into the aeroplane? 

Many Thanks 

Bruce 

Edited by pacificmustang
Spelling

Have to contradict you on this one Chris,  the hatch is hinged on the starboard side on the Bolingbroke but on the port side on the Blenheim.    The Blenheim has an entry ladder mounted on the starboard side so the hatch needs to drop down to the port side.   You can't see the hatch in that photo because it hangs down quite low because of the curvature of the fuselage.

By the way, those 404 Sqn Blenheim photos are just great, aren't they ;)?

Cheers,

Walter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walter Lindekens said:

Have to contradict you on this one Chris,  the hatch is hinged on the starboard side on the Bolingbroke but on the port side on the Blenheim.    The Blenheim has an entry ladder mounted on the starboard side so the hatch needs to drop down to the port side.   You can't see the hatch in that photo because it hangs down quite low because of the curvature of the fuselage.

By the way, those 404 Sqn Blenheim photos are just great, aren't they ;)?

Cheers,

Walter

Is there any photographic proof or a drawing?

I've never seen a boarding ladder on a Blenheim and the foot and hand holds are on the portside.

51259774827_d4a287147c_b.jpg

Chris

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Is there any photographic proof or a drawing?

I've never seen a boarding ladder on a Blenheim and the foot and hand holds are on the portside.

51259774827_d4a287147c_b.jpg

Chris

He means the boarding ladder inside the fuselage.

Selwyn

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

He means the boarding ladder inside the fuselage.

Selwyn

Ah! I've never seen a good photo of the inside of that compartment. Do you know where I could find one?

Chris

30 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Ah! I've never seen a good photo of the inside of that compartment. Do you know where I could find one?

Chris

Haven't seen an image either. I know its there though as I was recently reading "Blenheim Boy" by Richard Passmore (not his real name) who was a Blenheim air gunner and there was a bit in there  stating that the designated  crash/ditching position for a AG in a Blenheim was at the base of the ladder.

Selwyn

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

@Selwyn, thanks for adding the "interior" bit to the boarding ladder, less confusing 🙂.

As for the inside photo Chris would like to see, here goes, out of AP1530B :

JLkmhhp.png?1

And this is a diagram showing interior equipment, also clearly showing the boarding ladder:

oxBRTNL.png

Hope these answer some questions!

@Ed Russell - the Brussels Army Museum Blenheim is indeed a Bolingbroke, just as is every "Blenheim" you will find on display, bar one, the beautifully restored Mk IV in Finland, the only real Blenheim left...

Cheers,

Walter

• Like 2

So, your photo is looking toward the tail, with the ladder on the right ( starboard ) side. The hatch above is hinged on the left ( port ) side and swings into the aircraft.

Got It!

Thank you for posting that, Walter!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found this thread quite interesting and I would like to shed a small ray of light on one aspect of the history.

The statement that the hinges on the Bolingbroke’s hatch are on the opposite side to that of the Blenheim is only partially correct. It only refers to the Bolingbroke IV rather than the Bolingbroke I’s of the first production run and the Blenheim. This alteration is one of the myriad changes, structural and otherwise, that differentiated the Bolingbroke IV from the I and are, all too frequently, lumped by many writers into the category of “American instrumentation.”

For those who, like myself, are as interested in the “why” as well as the “what”, I quote an extract from one of the reports of the committee concerned with the upgrade which gives the justification for this modification.

“14.     The hinges on the rear hatch [Bolingbroke I & Blenheim ] are considered to be on the wrong side. There is no hand grip when the hatch is open and consequently the frame is used as a grip. If the person inside closes the hatch when a person is climbing aboard, his hand would be seriously crushed.”

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2